Sig P226 decocker not working

PDA

rocket lad
December 2, 2007, 05:14 PM
I recently acquired a p226, and discovered yesterday that the decocker doesn't work.

It's odd - the lever goes all the way down when the hammer is cocked, but it doesn't decock the hammer. However, if i have the decocker down, and decock it with the trigger+guide the hammer down method, the decocking lever goes right back up. I hope that makes sense.

In other words - if the hammer is cocked, there seems to be no contact between the decocker and the hammer; if it's not cocked, there's contact.

Thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig P226 decocker not working" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
December 2, 2007, 05:22 PM
Sounds like the little tab on the decocker lever might be broken / missing in action.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/1224.gif
rcmodel

Jim Watson
December 2, 2007, 05:39 PM
It ain't right, call Sigarms. They will be sure to fix anything involving "safety."

ninja45
December 3, 2007, 05:22 PM
By chance, do you have a Hougue Rubber Grips on your Sig 226? If you do, loosen the left grip (the side where the decocker is) a bit so it doesn't hamper the operation of the decocker. Ask me how I know this...

Ninja45

HammerBite
December 3, 2007, 06:54 PM
Regardless of what grips you have, remove the left panel and see if the decocker works without it.

rocket lad
December 6, 2007, 07:36 AM
I tried, no dice :(

mister2
December 6, 2007, 10:01 AM
Someone already mentioned the decocker tab. I'd look at sear and hammer next

HammerBite
December 6, 2007, 03:42 PM
In normal operation the decocker doesn't touch the hammer until the decocker lifts the sear and the hammer falls onto the decocker. As the hammer rides the decocker down the decocker disengages the sear so the sear can catch the safety notch.

You have already verified that the hammer engages the decocker after the hammer comes off the sear. It sounds like the decocker is not engaging the sear to release the hammer.

I suggest you remove the decocker lever and examine the tab to see if it is bent, twisted or maybe has a piece broken off.

rocket lad
December 6, 2007, 11:02 PM
I'll give that a shot, thanks! :)

mister2
December 7, 2007, 11:13 AM
I tried, no dice

Do you mean you could not get the grips off? Or they did come off, and had no effect whatsoever on decocking malfuntion?

rocket lad
December 7, 2007, 07:45 PM
I was able to remove the grips, but it had no effect.

mister2
December 8, 2007, 02:57 AM
RL,

Then there's a strong possibility either sear or decocker needs replacement. Decocker is a $4.20 part. Sear is $32.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=1970z226, or

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=21734&title=Decocking%20Lever,%20Nickel

There's a good SIG Armorer DVD you can find either at Brownells or sigforum. (~$20).

Good luck! And no, I have no employment or interest in any of the above-mentioned retailers.

rocket lad
December 8, 2007, 11:44 AM
Thanks mister2.

I took the grips off again and removed the decocker. It doesn't appear that any part of it has been broken.

Is the tab supposed to be flat, or is it supposed to angle upward at all?

HammerBite
December 8, 2007, 11:49 AM
The tab should be flat.

I'm running out of ideas. Maybe the gun should go to SIG.

rocket lad
December 8, 2007, 11:55 AM
It's not under warranty - I got it in a trade and I'm beginning to really wish I hadn't made such a trade.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig P226 decocker not working" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!