what's the best blowback pistol round?

PDA

papajack
December 3, 2007, 04:05 AM
.380? .32? 9x18? i'm interested in getting a "pocket" gun and want the best a blowback can offer.

If you enjoyed reading about "what's the best blowback pistol round?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
legion3
December 3, 2007, 04:28 AM
9x18 is the most "powerful" round for a blowback design of the three you listed and perhaps ever.

Its only drawback is finding ammo choices which make it that way...

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=299

With credit to North Bender

This thread shows some very good info on different choices of ammo for the 9mm Mak but however some of the better ammo Corbon and PS Grand are either extinct or darn difficult to find.

380 may have better bullet choices, due to its higher popularity in the US, it just doesn't usually have the ummph of the 9mak.

usp9
December 3, 2007, 08:03 AM
9x18 is the most "powerful" round for a blowback design of the three you listed and perhaps ever.

There have been a few 9mm blowback pistols made also, though none in "pocketgun" form.

IMHO a pocketgun has one criteria, that is it must be very small or it will be quite obvious bulging out in full view. The smallest and most powerful is probably the Seecamp .380 and it may well be one of the best made as far a quality materials and tooling. There are some lighter, some almost as small, but none as small, as well made and as powerful as the Seecamp .380.

wally
December 3, 2007, 08:21 AM
The Haskell and High Point guns are blowback and available in 9mm and .45ACP (at least the Haskell was). They are large and heavy -- need masive slides to delay the blowback enough, hardly pocket pistols.

While the .380ACP is generally the largest blowback caliber, the Kel-Tec P3AT gets its vey light overall weight by using a locked breech with the traditional Browning tilting barrel system.

There is not enough difference in the 9mm Mak and .380ACP to argue about. You've far more ammo choices in .380ACP. Lots of 9mm guns are smaller and lighter than the Markarov. Besides, these days now that the cheap surplus 9mm Mak ammo is gone, 9mm ammo is cheaper than either .380ACP or 9mm Mak.

--wally.

jjohnson
December 3, 2007, 08:42 AM
If you're looking for concealed carry on a reliable firearm, the Mak is a good design - hundreds of thousands of Eastern Bloc officers can't be wrong (can they:evil:)?

Not long ago, you could get the Mak converted to .380 off the shelf - and you can get 9mm Mak surplus barrels for it that they had to take off to make those conversions, so in effect, it's not hard to have your Mak in both .380 and 9mm Mak calibers.. just get the extra barrel, not sure if you need the spring, likely enough you would.

If you want to shoot it a lot - and I have found my Mak in .380 surprisingly accurate as well as reliable - go with the .380. You can get high performance loads for it that'll give you an edge over the FMJ stuff. If you have a cheap supply of Mak surplus, there ya go. There's a ballistic edge for the Makarov cartridge, but we could argue all day whether it's enough to make a real difference.

Good luck.:D

rb8941
December 3, 2007, 10:17 AM
I prefer the Beretta Tomcat (which I normally carry owb instead of in my pocket). Yes, it's only a .32 but since I don't plan on storming any citadels anytime soon I'm more than comfortable with it.

markmc753
December 3, 2007, 10:47 AM
A Polish P64 with a change out in springs will work well for pocket carry -- well built little pistol

Hokkmike
December 3, 2007, 11:26 AM
My .380 Bersa is easy, comfortable, and reliable.

rcmodel
December 3, 2007, 01:11 PM
Why not get a locked-breach 9mm?

A few are available now that are both smaller & lighter then the MAK, Bersa, Walther, and several other blow-back .380's.
And they don't kick as hard as the less powerful blow-backs.
Some of the blow-back .380's down-right sting your hand!

Look at KAHR, Kel-Tec, etc.

http://mouseguns.com/pocksize.htm

http://mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/1224.gif
rcmodel

Constantine-p89
December 3, 2007, 01:16 PM
The 380acp Bersa is a good suggestion.

Flame Red
December 3, 2007, 02:47 PM
S&W PPK/S is nice.

Halo is for Kids
December 3, 2007, 07:17 PM
It's no pocket gun but IIRC the Hipoint 45 is the largest caliber blowback handgun.:evil:

The original S&W Sigma series had a blowback compact 9mm, SW9? I read an article about it back in the day and the checkering was discribed as feeling like razorwire. Looks like this SW380:
http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Trails/2200/Hsw380L.gif

fletcher
December 3, 2007, 07:21 PM
9x18 is good. But, since you're looking for a pocket gun, either .380 or .32 will do. .380 is more powerful, but the difference between the two is minimal IMO compared to shot placement/control of the firearm.

MICHAEL T
December 4, 2007, 01:35 AM
Bersa 380 Thunder or the CC use Corbon DPX for carry.

GaryP
December 4, 2007, 09:34 AM
The .32NAA caliber is another option. Corbon offers a 60gr JHP in this caliber rated at 1200 fps. NAA states that this is the only caliber that exceeds 1000 fps from a pocket pistol. The .32NAA round is a .32 in a necked down .380 case. The NAA Guardian is also available in .380acp & .32acp. NAA Guardians are equivalent in size to the Seecamps.

:evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "what's the best blowback pistol round?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!