Get a grip! Rear slide grip suggestions?

PDA

ripcurlksm
December 4, 2007, 12:55 AM
What are my options for adding a little more bite to the rear slide grip? The finished slide of my Kimber Warrior is a little slippery at times (although manageable) and I wanted to ask around.

I suppose the only option would be to strip the paint off the slide, shave the rear slide grip treads to give it a hard angle and repaint. Not something I think worth my time or $$. But if figured I'd at least pose the question and wonder if anyone has thought the same.

http://psylicyde.com/warrior.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Get a grip! Rear slide grip suggestions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jaenak
December 4, 2007, 05:25 AM
That sounds to me as if you might just want to live with the issue until you can bring yourself to take it in to a good gunsmith and tell him to work his magic with the slide serations. That will require a refinish of the slide. All and all, like I said, until you are willing to spend the money and time to get the slide serations reworked, I would recommend you just live with it. I've always kinda wondered what it would be like to have a gunsmith do a 20 or 30 lpi checkering on the face of the slide's rear serrations (the tops, not the groves) just to give it a little extra grip in there. Just a passing idea I've had.

Kor
December 4, 2007, 10:16 PM
3M traction/anti-skid tape - available @ Ace Hardware for about $0.67/ft. This is the stuff that gets stuck on ladder rungs, the bottoms of bathtubs/showers, and on potentially slippery areas of floors like ramps, so that folks don't lose their footing when the floor or their feet are wet. Available in different grades/grits/textures, such as grit-impregnated "skateboard tape" or a crinkle-rubber texture(which I use).

I cut a strip of tape to fit the flat on top of the slides of my Glocks between the rear of the ejection port opening and the front of the rear sight; this gives my fingers & palm just a bit more traction on the slide, and it makes one-handed "wounded shooter" slide-racking drills a lot more positive.

You could either do the same, and/or try cutting very small, narrow strips of traction tape that you could stick inside the existing gripping grooves on your slide. Maybe even put a small patch on the slide flats at the very end of the slide, just aft of the gripping grooves. The tape won't cost you hardly anything in terms of $$, time, cosmetics(especially on your black slide), added friction on the draw, or wear on your holsters('cuz the tape on top of the slide never touches the holster), and it lasts a good long time - and if it does ever start peeling, just rip it off and cut another strip.

Geno
December 4, 2007, 11:11 PM
I use skateboard tape on my Warrior's front strap. I also switched out the flat main spring house for an arched version. You should also use the Warrior's original grips. They may be ugly, but they grip extremely well.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/Doc2005/HPIM4005.jpg

Doc2005

ripcurlksm
December 5, 2007, 03:25 AM
good suggestions

yea doc, I didn't care for the plastic warrior grips- it consistently gave me small blisters on my lady-hands after shooting 100+.

I really like the look of the gunner grips but for as much as I shoot it I wanted to be comfortable. I think the wood grips I choose is perfect, besides a little class never goes unnoticed. :D

Doc, do you like the arched grip? What maker did you pick? Ive seen MSH's to for a lighter trigger pull or whatever, bleh

If you enjoyed reading about "Get a grip! Rear slide grip suggestions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!