Memphis, TN SD shooting

PDA

rock jock
July 21, 2003, 12:13 PM
This was emailed to me today. Some of you may have seen it already. If not, a good read.
RangeMaster Student Involved in Shooting - Excellent Performance/Lessons Learned

I just got the following from Tom Givens at RangeMaster. It is a debrief of student involved shooting that has a lot of good learning points regardless of which school(s) you've been to.

Also, while trying not to step on toes, I'd point out that Tom teaches classes on the road as well. His preferred technique is very Weaver-esque and dovetails nicely with FS Doctrine.

quote:In the past four weeks in Memphis, there have been four incidents in which a homeowner shot and killed a home invader. The most recent incident occurred last Friday night, and involved a Rangemaster student. I debriefed him Saturday morning, and would like to share some of his experiences with you. Our student will be referred to as J, and the Bad Guys as BG1 and BG2.

J had gone to a shopping center just a few blocks from his East Memphis home, in a nice residential area. The two BG's came around a vehicle and accosted him. As they came into view, BG1 already had a pistol out and pointed at J. J was wearing a concealed pistol (S&W 908), but wisely decided to wait and see if he could get an opening to respond. The BG's ordered him to an ATM nearby and had him insert a card, which the machine promptly ate. They then forced J into his truck and made him drive home, saying he had better have some money there. Upon entering the house, still at gunpoint, they ordered him to his room to look for money.

BG2 left the room, and BG1 bent over to pick up some cash he found in a drawer. At that point J drew his concealed gun, and fired 6 rounds at BG1, hitting him with 5 of them. BG1 collapsed and was DRT. J pivoted to cover the door of the room and waited. BG2 apparently assumed his partner had just executed J, and came strolling through the door, only to be met by J, who fired 2 quick rounds into his chest. BG2 ran away and collapsed outside. J was not injured. J called 911 and the police arrived quickly, coming from another call just a few blocks away. No charges are being contemplated against J.

J and his mother came by Rangemaster to thank us for providing him with the physical skills and the mental preparation to handle such an incident. He also bought a bigger gun, an XD-40. Here are some thoughts on J's experience.

1. Stay calm and focus your thoughts and energies on finding a way to win!
2. Once an opening was available, J moved swiftly and decisively. An AGGRESSIVE counter-attack saved the day.
3. Bullets are cheap, don't be stingy with them. It was critical to RAPIDLY incapacitate these dangerous offenders, and that is best accomplished with fast repeat hits in the torso.
4. In the four such incidents in the past month, two involved one BG, and two involved two BG's. Be prepared for multiple adversaries.
5. Although "only going to the store" J wore his sidearm. You simply cannot predict these incidents. If you don't have your gear with you, you sure won't get to defend yourself with it.

Our sincere congratulations to J for a job well done.

Tom

To answer likely questions here are some additional facts based on already asked questions:

quote:For your info-- ammo was Federal 9mm 124 grain Hydra-Shok. Of 5 torso hits, all expanded and stayed within BG's bodies. Two peripheral hits went through. One miss. 8 shots, 7 hits. Not bad!

TG

About the ATM:
quote:BG's took his wallet. He had an inactive card. That was the one they grabbed.

Tom
I think this proves once again that shot placement is critical.

If you enjoyed reading about "Memphis, TN SD shooting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
4v50 Gary
July 21, 2003, 12:20 PM
My heart soars like a hawk. :) This should have been posted in the evening for a bedtime story.

Flashpoint
July 21, 2003, 12:54 PM
Stories like that is the reason I alway carry when I go to Memphis. Maybe stories like that will make those Mephis BGs think twice before doing BG stuff.

critter
July 21, 2003, 01:51 PM
I do not live in Memphis and do not want to offend anyone who does as I know there are some great folks there.

I do have relatives and friends who do live in Memphis and both of my children USED to live there.

I know of multiple instances where 'bad guys' were plying their trade. In both instances, local law was called. Their involvement ammounted to ONLY filling out paperwork and NO follow up investigation although evidence was aplenty and plain. They showed very little interest at all in what happened and apparantly that is their line unless a major (murder-maybe?) crime is involved.

When I have occasion to go to Memphis, I do as I would encourage others there to do: PLAN on being equipped to handle any situation you might meet up with. You can not plan on help from the local law enforcement there!

If you have read the above, you still need to go back and read it again. It is right on! Best wishes to all and WATCH YOUR SIX!

Seminole
July 21, 2003, 04:47 PM
When I have occasion to go to Memphis, I do as I would encourage others there to do: PLAN on being equipped to handle any situation you might meet up with.You can not plan on help from the local law enforcement there!

It seem to me that this is good advice anywhere. I've lived in a number of places over the last 20 years and feel no more nor less safe here than anywhere else I have lived. As always, be aware of your surroundings and have a plan.

Standing Wolf
July 21, 2003, 10:48 PM
BG2 apparently assumed his partner had just executed J, and came strolling through the door, only to be met by J, who fired 2 quick rounds into his chest.

Ah, the expression of surprise on the lad's face!

MAURICE
July 21, 2003, 11:35 PM
I have friends in Olive Branch, MS a literal hop skip and jump away from Memphis, and I frequently travel between here and Tupelo,MS...so I am in Memphis every 3 or 4 weeks...always armed.

Sven
July 21, 2003, 11:43 PM
Great story. I'm going to email a link to this thread to some friends.

If you enjoyed reading about "Memphis, TN SD shooting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!