Gun Test's Magazine...XD-9 vs HK P-30 vs Ruger SR9

PDA

XD-40 Shooter
December 4, 2007, 07:38 PM
The winner is.........XD-9!:D I think it speaks volumes about the XD series that it beat out a $940 HK P-30, of course this is full list price. The XD-9 list's at $543. The XD series keeps on kickin' a**.:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Test's Magazine...XD-9 vs HK P-30 vs Ruger SR9" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CZ 42
December 4, 2007, 07:41 PM
People on this forum don't seem to like when us XD lovers point out how great they are. They are angry and jealous.:neener:
P.S., no good guns come from Croatia!

Crimp
December 4, 2007, 08:15 PM
I really love both of my XD9s, but I'm waiting for the Glock retort... ;)

RKBABob
December 4, 2007, 08:34 PM
Well, that XD only won because there was no Glock included in the comparison test!

Stay calm, everyone! The above statement was an attempt at sarcasm, and should be used for entertainment purposes only.

Halo is for Kids
December 4, 2007, 09:01 PM
Guntests takes cost into account don't they? IIRC they rated a High Point as a best buy.

They don't seem to want to compare the XD and Glock.

From the sample article here, http://www.gun-tests.com/firearms/glock-22-defense-pistols.html :
Glock 22 Our Pick Over Five Other .40 S&W Defense Pistols...

...Six full-size .40 S&W pistols in the $600 to $800 range are the subjects of this test. They are the Smith & Wesson 4006, the Glock 22, the Walther P99, the Beretta Model 96, the Heckler & Koch USP40 and the Sig Sauer P229.

I guess the XD doesn't fit the $600 to $800 category.

RPCVYemen
December 4, 2007, 09:53 PM
They don't seem to want to compare the XD and Glock.

The sample article was from 1998.

Mike

mgregg85
December 4, 2007, 10:15 PM
bah, there was no need to compare the glock to the xd. It's poor trigger and grip angle ruled out the need to compare it to such finer guns as the XD, HK or ruger.

jerkface11
December 4, 2007, 10:21 PM
They need to compare the XD to the steyr M-A1 series.

XD-40 Shooter
December 4, 2007, 10:28 PM
*Don's the flame suit*.......The Glock can't hold a candle to the XD. No need to compare.:neener::D:p

XD Fan
December 4, 2007, 10:30 PM
All I know is that I love my XD, and I, personally, do not shot as well with a Glock.

Thumper
December 4, 2007, 10:39 PM
Nothing wrong with the XD, if that's what floats your boat. Certainly nothing wrong with the glock...

Owner's however...answer me this;

Why is it so important to you to "prove" that yours is better?

Says a lot more about the owner than the gun, doesn't it?

M1 Shooter
December 4, 2007, 11:05 PM
Very good point Thumper.

I myself like Glocks the best out of all the polymer framed pistols, but I have absolutely nothing against any of the others. Just buy whatever you like and whatever works best for you. I don't think you can really go wrong with any of them.

Lightsped
December 5, 2007, 12:02 AM
Thumper hit the nail on the head. I like both Glocks, and XDs. I plan on buying a XD9 subcompact next. It will join my happy family of Glocks. Same with the H&K and all other brands. I'll take at least one of each, thank you very much!

possum
December 5, 2007, 12:12 AM
The winner is.........XD-9! I think it speaks volumes about the XD series that it beat out a $940 HK P-30, of course this is full list price. The XD-9 list's at $543. The XD series keeps on kickin' a**.

of course it won in my opinion they are the best polymer framed striker fired handguns ever made! i love em and i have turned many people to the xd and will contnue to tell all i can about the xd and its greatness. everytime someone says i want a good hadgun......blah blah i say check out the xd.

ftierson
December 5, 2007, 01:22 AM
People read Gun Tests magazine?

And, like, you know, pay attention to what it says...?

:)

Forrest

cdcmj
December 5, 2007, 01:33 AM
XD= new, improved glock----thank you very much ladies and gentlemen

possum
December 5, 2007, 02:38 AM
XD= new, improved glock----thank you very much ladies and gentlemen
and glock the new and improved H&k in its day, if we didn't take wapons and make them better over time we would sill be shooting muskets.

CZF
December 5, 2007, 02:51 AM
They need to test a P-01 alongside those guns.

Might come to the conclusion. All the performance, half the cost!

Obey
December 5, 2007, 03:25 AM
I prefer Glocks over XDs. They are equally reliable and accurate, though I feel the construction quality (as far as materials go) is much better on the Glock.

That being said, I think my new SR9 is just as good as either of them! I love it!

DHart
December 5, 2007, 04:06 AM
Comparing my new XD-9 Sub Compact to my Glock 19, the G19 has the XD beat, totally. Not that I think the XD is a bad gun... I don't! I like the XD. But the G19 is much more accurate (granted, it has a 1" longer barrle/slide and I installed a 3.5# connector and a smooth-faced trigger shoe, giving the gun a nice 4.75# trigger and a nice, short, quick-reset trigger pull), has a noticibly lower bore-axis, and is more enjoyable to shoot. I am able to be much more precise in shot placement with my G19 over my XD-9 SC. Overall, my XD-9 SC shot about an inch high, compared to my G19, at about 20' range. While I really do like my XD-9 SC, I would choose the G19 over it anyday, in a heartbeat.

possum
December 5, 2007, 06:46 AM
I prefer Glocks over XDs. They are equally reliable and accurate, though I feel the construction quality (as far as materials go) is much better on the Glock.

i don't understand there are several places that the glock is plastic where the xd is metal how do you figure the above statement has any truth to it what so ever?

3.5# disconect or not the glock trigger is still mushy ad wierd to me ayway.

GTSteve03
December 5, 2007, 09:28 AM
How's that after-market parts support going for XDs? Can you still buy your own replacement internals and swap them out as you need to or do you have to send it back to the factory for any work?

bb21
December 5, 2007, 03:39 PM
I really enjoy my time reading on THE HIGH ROAD, but sometimes some of you are ridiculous, why do you think that whatever you own or like is "The Best" it is all opinion. We are all free to have our own opinions and preferences, I personally enjoy hearing why people like a certain gun and for what reason they like it, I don't enjoy hearing others bash a person or their preferences just because it is different.
Can't we all just get along?
Rant over.
My XD45compact is the best! I mean.... I love it, why because it is 2 guns in one just as SA claims, it conceals well, shoots great, 13+1 or 10+1 is nice, I love the safety features, (grip safety, trigger, loaded chamber indicator and cocking indicator), it is a great value, the grip is comfortable (for me). There are probably a few other reasons and you may or may not agree, so take it for what it is worth and please let's take The High Road.
Good Luck and Be Safe!

highrider
December 5, 2007, 04:14 PM
The XD's are great guns. I have an XD-9 subcompact. Love it. But I sure wouldn't put too much stock in what Gun Tests has to say. I subscribe to the magazine and enjoy reading it, but I sometimes have to chuckle at some of their statements. :)

Obey
December 5, 2007, 08:23 PM
i don't understand there are several places that the glock is plastic where the xd is metal how do you figure the above statement has any truth to it what so ever?

There are a LOT of places on my CZs that are metal where my Glock is 'plastic,' does that make their build quality better, then?

TDSUS
December 5, 2007, 08:24 PM
I swore I would never repeat NEVER own a plastic gun - AR aside of course. But then there was the XD!

Im sold on them. Ive got one set up for IDPA and a compact for CCW. Even gave my 1911 to my son!

MechAg94
December 5, 2007, 08:59 PM
I recently picked up an XD 45, but haven't had the chance to really shoot it yet. I have a Glock 22 which I think is a fine pistol.

Gun Tests has rated the XD's high ever since they tested the first one. They did test it against a Glock, but I think they thought the feel of it was better and the extra safety was a plus. They have rated other XD pistols equally as high ever since.

I believe they do take price into account in some ways. I notice they often hold expensive guns to higher expectations for fit, finish, and performance and slam them harder if they have defects or problems.

ruger45
December 5, 2007, 09:06 PM
I seen the Ruger Sr9 at a gun shown in Northen Va a few weeks ago and was a little sadden by the looks and the feel of the gun.

Autolycus
December 6, 2007, 02:01 AM
I prefer my HK P2000. I do want to get a Glock at some point but as of right now my Sig 228 is kind of my beater handgun.

Quoheleth
December 6, 2007, 09:19 AM
I believe they do take price into account in some ways. I notice they often hold expensive guns to higher expectations for fit, finish, and performance and slam them harder if they have defects or problems.

I think that's fair enough. Higher prices should demand higher quality, and vice versa.

A Mercedes or a Vette should have better fit & finish than a Hyundai. A $1200 custom 1911 or S&W Wheelie better be better fit & finish and overall quality than a $300 special.

Q

BrokenArrow
December 6, 2007, 10:54 AM
The FBI/DEA/USMS tested a bunch of guns and liked Glock best.

The DHS (ICE/CBP/USSS/FAM/USCG) tested a bunch of guns and liked SIG and HK best.

Las Vegas, Cincinnati, Columbus, DFW Airport Police, and New Hampshire State Police tested a bunch of guns and liked S&W best...

XD, Glock, and S&W cleaned up the CDP (1911) division at the IDPA Nationals...

Get what ya like, or flip a coin and like what ya get. ;)

jeepmor
December 6, 2007, 11:03 AM
So there we have it, ugly guns win.

alzo
December 6, 2007, 12:57 PM
A lot of people seem to have a problem with Gun Tests magazine. I'm not sure why that is. I don't always agree with their reviews, but one thing I appreciate about their reviews is that they never gloss over defects or malfunctions that they encounter. Granted, it is a sample size of 1, but if that sample has a problem, they report it and rate a gun lower because of it. They don't make excuses for the product or offer reasons why the consumer should not worry about this malfunction or that defect.

FWIW, any time I've seen them review Glocks, they had nothing but praise for them.

wuchak
December 6, 2007, 05:34 PM
Based on the letter Rohrbaough sent to Guntests about their review I am a little skeptical about them. You can read the letter here: http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=R9S;action=display;num=1091220026

Josh Aston
December 6, 2007, 05:41 PM
What agency issues the XD?

wditto
December 6, 2007, 05:54 PM
who makes the XD for Springfield?, anyone know?

Josh Aston
December 6, 2007, 05:59 PM
who makes the XD for Springfield?, anyone know?

Don't know the name of the company, but they come from Croatia. They used to be imported as the HS2000, and were a bit cheaper before Springfield took over.

Jim_M
December 6, 2007, 06:01 PM
from the web...

Manufactured in the city of Karlovac, Croatia by HS Produkt (formerly I.M. Metal), and licensed and sold in the US by Springfield Armory[1], the HS 2000, or XD (X-Treme Duty) series of pistols are polymer-framed, magazine-fed, striker-fired, semi-automatic handguns. Features include double-stack high-capacity magazines, an Ultra Safety Assurance (USA) Trigger System, a 1911-style grip safety, ambidextrous magazine release buttons, a loaded chamber indicator, striker status indicator, and accessory rail.

...there you go

Jim M

wditto
December 6, 2007, 06:02 PM
thanks, Josh; that little nagging question in the back of my mind, and their service dept., would seal it for me....

wditto
December 6, 2007, 06:05 PM
and I concur with your choice, Jim; thanks

BrokenArrow
December 7, 2007, 07:29 AM
GunTests isn't perfect, but who is?

They have made plenty of mistakes, but so has Guns & Ammo and the rest.

More info is better than less info, just use some critical thinking when you get that info.

James NM
December 7, 2007, 07:36 PM
The winner is.........XD-9

Well, if a gun rag said so, it must be true.:rolleyes:

Next time someone posts to find out what is the "Best" 9mm, I guess we'll all know what to answer now. Thanks Gun Tests.

Now excuse me while I go try to get rid of all my inferior 9mm's.

BushyGuy
July 20, 2009, 03:42 PM
i handled the XD9 and the new SR9 i like the feel of the SR9 better i am thinking about buying an SR9 not only cuz its made in America cuz its a RUGER!

wally
July 20, 2009, 06:58 PM
I notice they often hold expensive guns to higher expectations for fit, finish, and performance and slam them harder if they have defects or problems

So do I! Otherwise what is the extra money actually buying? a logo? glossy ads to make you feel better about spending more money than you need to?

--wally.

HippieMagic
July 20, 2009, 09:11 PM
I had a friend who owned a brand new XD at one point. The build quality was kinda sketchy. The frame had a noticeable ridge down the entire center that cut my fingers numerous times while firing it. The accuracy was entirely non-existent... I am talking severe drop at around 10-15 feet. Holding the handgun dead on a target would cause the round to hit the ground almost every time. It had good reliability not failing to fire or eject once in the 1000 or so rounds put through it over the course of a few months that he owned it. It wasn't a bad feeling gun at all... I didn't like the higher bore axis. The sights also worked themselves loose... It was taken to a gunsmith to check it out and he had actually thought we beat the hell out of it but after looking it over a lot it was determined to be a lemon.

My point? My experience with the XD was HORRIBLE but it showed that it had promise. I don't dislike the gun but it did have a higher bore axis which I didn't care for... The accuracy was horrible and the polymer looked like it wasn't cleaned... The gun itself functioned flawlessly. I actually bought a Glock 19 and never looked back. I am not saying I will never own an XD but I would never say they are the BEST or that they are PERFECTION because in my personal experience the Glock wins... Neither gun is perfect or the best by any means...

We shoot what we have good experiences with. Someone may have a Hi-Point out there that they have better experiences with than some $2000 1911... someone might have a glock or xd... M&P... the point is there is really no best it is 100% personal experience... mine favors a glock 19 for the above reasons...

RoboDuck
July 20, 2009, 11:54 PM
I got a XD9 in a trade and really intended to sell or trade it at the next gunshow. After taking the XD to the range I decided to keep it since it was a good shooter. I have owned a few glocks since 1993 so I can offer a fair apprasal. The XD is a quality weapon and has some nice features not found on the Glocks. I still prefer my Glock , but If I happen to hang on to the XD for another 15 years who knows, I may change my mind.

Out West
July 20, 2009, 11:58 PM
Those XD's are popular! I bet if President Obama owned a gun, he'd own an XD - and he could probably buy any gun he wants.

Out West

PRE 64 JOE
July 21, 2009, 12:23 AM
Out West: I don't know if obama wants a gun, but if he does i'm sure some sheep will give him one.:mad:

ijosef
July 21, 2009, 12:32 AM
What is the going price for one of the new XD (M) 9mm's? I like the idea of the 19+1 capacity, and a guy on another forum absolutely loves his.

sarduy
July 21, 2009, 12:46 AM
Well, that XD only won because there was no Glock included in the comparison test!

Stay calm, everyone! The above statement was an attempt at sarcasm, and should be used for entertainment purposes only.

i agreed with the red letters (but i think he's right :evil:)

gga357
July 21, 2009, 12:47 AM
I would be all over the XD-M if it didn't have a grip safety. So I will stick with the M&P.

kyo
July 21, 2009, 01:22 AM
im waiting for a XD-M for 45's. when that happens, I might look into getting it.

m2steven
July 21, 2009, 02:12 AM
My SR9 is a fine pistol and when it goes bad, i'll replace it with a Springfield.

CPshooter
July 21, 2009, 04:00 AM
I've owned a couple XDs, and even a couple Glocks:) Both are great, solid guns for the money. However, I have since been introduced to H&Ks (after taking the plunge and buying one) and now prefer them to XDs and Glocks. IN MY OPINION, they are better guns by far. The fit/finish, ergonomics, and shooting characteristics make for a better overall handgun, again IMHO. They cost nearly twice as much, but to me they are well worth it.

Magazine "shootouts" aren't the end-all-be-all of what's best. To be honest, most of the time they are influenced by money and the generosity of the company (ie giving the magazine editors a free gun in exchange for a good review). If I were testing all the guns mentioned in this test, I'd have picked the P30 hands down.

HippieMagic
July 21, 2009, 10:52 AM
I wasn't a fan of the grip safety either it didn't feel right to me and really bugged me when shooting... I really fail to see the purpose of it other than to make people think "OHHH IT MAKES THE GUN SAFER!" when it really doesn't... I mean think about it... in a retention holster it's deactivated, in a hand it's deactivated, inserting it into a holster its most likely deactivated and removing... same thing... When it counts to have an extra safety it actually does nothing and the other times the trigger safety is more than adequate enough.

Quoheleth
July 21, 2009, 10:56 AM
I find it odd they tested two $500 guns vs. a $900 gun. IMHO, the third gun should have been a Smith M&P, not the H&K. Nothing against the H&K, but it's a whole new level of pricing. Like comparing seats at the ballpark from the Nosebleed section vs. five rows up behind the home dugout.

Q

HippieMagic
July 21, 2009, 11:00 AM
Yeah that is kinda weird too... I think someone was paying them to put down a gun that costs 2x as much... a M&P or Glock 19 would fit better there... that is what a $350, $500, and $900 gun comparison? None of the guns really fit in the same catagory. Not to mention the HK is a hammer fired gun isn't it?

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Test's Magazine...XD-9 vs HK P-30 vs Ruger SR9" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!