Wolf Ammo. Is it any good AT ALL?

PDA

Nightwing
December 4, 2007, 07:51 PM
Ok. saw a thread on this earlier. Can't find it. So.... I see WOLF ammo online cheep. Is it reload stuff?
Also, is it total garbage? Is it any less reliable for 115gr target ammo?

If you enjoyed reading about "Wolf Ammo. Is it any good AT ALL?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wally
December 4, 2007, 07:58 PM
Like any cheap ammo, some guns do better with it than others. I've shot well over 12000 rounds of it in .45ACP and over 4000 in 9mm, and 3000 in .40S&W.

With the .380ACP I had extraction problems in about alf my pistols, but interestingly enough my Wife's Beretta 86 Cheetah loves the stuff -- its the one with the tip-up barrel and no extractor! Go Figure.

Buy a few boxes to try and decide for yourself. Its not reloadable.

--wally.

jdc1244
December 4, 2007, 08:03 PM
It shoots fine in my CZ SP-01, itís cheap and I bought a box or two to see how steel would run in the CZ. There were no FTF/FTE issues. I try to find cheap brass ammo now, mostly S&B, Czech ammo for a Czech gun works well. :)

Some say itís dirty, some say the steel will damage the extractor, etc. I donít know if thatís true but I try to buy brass when I can. The S&B I got recently was actually cheaper per round then the Wolf.

I donít consider it to be garbage but it may not run well in some semis.

As an aside itís all I shoot in my SKS, it loves the stuff.

AirForceShooter
December 4, 2007, 08:08 PM
For the range it's ok.
For carry, no

AFS

Car Knocker
December 4, 2007, 08:09 PM
Wolf Gold is brass-cased and reloadable.

Nightwing
December 4, 2007, 08:11 PM
For the range it's ok.
For carry, no

at minimum I will use winchester hollow points for carry. At max..... some seriously expensive stuff!!!
No ball ammo for concealed carry

wisocki
December 4, 2007, 08:12 PM
If you have a good gun it won't matter. I have thousands of rounds of wolf through my beretta 92, and my usp 45 with no jams. Ever. accuracy isn't the best, but is acceptable. What gun you plan on feeding it to?

Nightwing
December 4, 2007, 08:23 PM
^ SigPro Sp2009 9mm.

Geno
December 4, 2007, 08:25 PM
I have had no problems with Wolf ammo.

Doc2005

Hokkmike
December 4, 2007, 08:28 PM
I can't allow myself to mangle a good gun with that cheap ammo. Save the Wolf for WASR's and the like.

wally
December 4, 2007, 10:23 PM
Ain't much of a gun if shooting Wolf breaks it! It may not be accurate enough for your needs and some guns have troubles with some ammo & vice-versa, but if the price is right try a few boxes and find out for yourself.

Works great for me shooitng steel plates and I appreciate not chasing brass. But for me the time for Wolf has passed since I usually can find a case of relaodable brass cased ammo for a bit less than the cost of a case of Wolf and the value of 1000 once-fired reloadable brass. I'm back reloading in a big way recently having upgraded to a Dillon XL650.

--wally.

jeepmor
December 5, 2007, 12:14 AM
I reload, so I don't buy it. I'm trying to get my stepdad to start using brass since he likes Wolf, but I haven't convinced him yet. However, he has a mini-14, so accuracy won't change even if I convince him.

I don't shoot it in my guns, but only because I like buying stuff I can reload. Beyond that, everyone I know that uses it likes it just fine, but they use it for blasting or varmints, not game animals. Stepdad put a few coyotes down with the FMJ. A friend of the family skins them and sell the hides every year.

I've heard of the varnish baking off and causing problems, but never seen any proof or followup, just hearsay so far. I suppose if you shot a whole bunch it at one outing it might be an issue. Never has been varmint hunting for my stepdad. But we usually go through less than 100 rounds that way too.

If you enjoyed reading about "Wolf Ammo. Is it any good AT ALL?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!