9mm handgun for under $300

PDA

jay43228
December 5, 2007, 10:19 AM
i am looking for a main house gun to replace the hi point c9 i got rid of had if for 6 months and the felt recoil and the blockeness was a no go "wife shots with me some time to time" so i am looking for a new main pistol

taurus pt24-7
ruger p series
bersa 380 thunder
or ? ? ?:confused:

want something that is some what light and well last a lifetime of use...:confused: what do you guys think???

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm handgun for under $300" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hokkmike
December 5, 2007, 10:21 AM
"want something that is some what light and well last a lifetime of use... what do you guys think???".....your quote

For this, I think you will have to spend something over $300.

klingy
December 5, 2007, 10:42 AM
They are on sale at www.galleryofguns.com until 12/11/07. Mine cost $304.99 + Tax & Fees = $348.54. They might be less in your area or maybe look at pre-owned.

Since you mentioned "blockeness" you definitely want to have your hands on one before you buy it. Many people find the Ruger P series to be blocky but the P95 fits and points very well in my average size hands.

GRIZ22
December 5, 2007, 10:55 AM
You might want to look at a SIG 225. I've seen them advertised for a little more than $300 in Shotgun News. You'd have to add any fee charged by a dealer to receive it for you.

SDDL-UP
December 5, 2007, 11:05 AM
You can usually get used CZ-75's for right around $300 or so. That or a Ruger P series as mentioned.

AirForceShooter
December 5, 2007, 11:09 AM
Think "used"

AFS

dralarms
December 5, 2007, 11:12 AM
Get a Sigma 9mm for around 329. get 2 extra mags and a $50.00 rebate from S&W.

Yea I know it's "over" 300 but in the end it will be close (after rebate) and you will have a firearm that is well built and has a lifetime warranty.

ozwyn
December 5, 2007, 11:30 AM
+1 on the Cz and Ruger deals

Might also want to keep an eye out for some of the argentine browning highpower clones made by FM. Last time I checked they got good reviews and were often at bargain prices.

CajunBass
December 5, 2007, 11:31 AM
I think I'd go with the Sigma too. I've seen them for under $300.00 but it's been a while. Still they seem a decent gun for the money.

1BLINDREF
December 5, 2007, 11:39 AM
If you are on a concrete budget of $300, then I suggest you go used.
I'd look for a CZ75 or a Beretta 92 in a full sized gun, or a Sig P6 (P225) in a more compact gun.
I'd rather buy a used better quality gun, than a new POS, but you probably already learned that from your Hi-point.

Ian
December 5, 2007, 11:40 AM
Keep your eyes open for local private sellers with used guns. A sub-$300 Ruger shouldn't be too hard to find, and I've occasionally seen CZs and Steyrs below $300 as well.

modifiedbrowning
December 5, 2007, 11:53 AM
I would get a Bersa Thunder 9 (http://http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/21_178). I have three now and all of them have been completely reliable.

Stillwater97
December 5, 2007, 12:22 PM
I was in the same boat as you were a couple of months ago. I wanted something reliable and of quality for a reasonable price that would not draw the attention and possible ire of "She who must be obeyed". :evil:

I ended up settling on the Stoeger Cougar and although it ended up costing me a total of $350 from Sportsman's warehouse (including the background check) I am really really happy with it. The quality was great, the gun looks good, and I'm amazed at how well it shoots.

Stoeger is owned by Beretta and they shipped the equipment Beretta used to make the Beretta Cougar to Turkey where Stoeger makes the "new" Cougar.

Simply put, I got a Beretta Cougar with a different logo on the grip for about half of what a Cougar used to cost.

Exmasonite
December 5, 2007, 12:24 PM
+1 on the bersa thunder 9. the .380 is nice but the ammo is kinda expensive. i think you'll shoot the 9 more.

taurus is an option, too.

For $350, you can get a Sig P225/P6 police trade in at Gander Mountain (if you can find one). hard to beat that quality for the price.

ojibweindian
December 5, 2007, 12:27 PM
Ruger P95. Very tough, very reliable. On sale, they go for under $300 new, and finding a used one for under $300 won't be a problem.

pete f
December 5, 2007, 12:43 PM
look into the used guns sold by CDNN out of texas, lots of used guns in there paper catalog for less than $300. You do not list where you live, so its hard to judge what the FFL fee would be, but you can often use the CDNN price to talk a dealer down on a gun in their case.

I have bought SIG's for $340 and S&W's for $250 from them and been VERY happy with what I got.

ky imports have been pretty good too

hotpig
December 5, 2007, 12:46 PM
I can send you a new Ruger P95 for 299.00 plus 14.00 shipping.

DNA
December 5, 2007, 12:53 PM
I'm kind of suprised that no one has mentioned it, but you can usually find good deals on used S&W semi autos (39 and 59 series). The great part on these is that they can be had for in and about $300 w/ hi-caps.

Used CZs and used Rugers are good for that price too. As are a couple of the "off brand" pistols, like the Astra's, Star's, HS2000 (old Springfield XDs), FEG Highpower clones, Arcus 94 (another Highpower clone), some EAA Witnesses (CZ clones).

Kyimports is a good source.

Dan

strat81
December 5, 2007, 01:09 PM
http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/handguns/s-w-handguns/p/s-w-model-5906-9mm-semi-auto-pistol%2C-vg-/cPath/16_211/products_id/1650
I doubt you'll find a better pistol than that for the price, except for a CZ (maybe). A nice steel gun should reduced recoil quite well.

I have a Taurus 24/7 9mm. Good gun, comfortable, but it was almost $400 new and mags are very expensive.

hso
December 5, 2007, 02:47 PM
Buddy of mine picked up a S&W Sigma at the gunshow in Nashville this last weekend that fits the bill. NIB with a $50 rebate (http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/other/M&P_Sigma_Promotion_Coupon.pdf). When he sends the coupon in and get's the $50 he'll be into the Sigma for under $300 otd.

rellascout
December 5, 2007, 02:56 PM
Ruger P series would be my choice or a Used Sig P6

Autolycus
December 5, 2007, 03:15 PM
Save up a few dollars and get a Glock.

Gord
December 5, 2007, 03:18 PM
I'm kind of suprised that no one has mentioned it, but you can usually find good deals on used S&W semi autos

Yeah. Subscribe to the CDNN newsletter (http://order.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/wg-request-catalog?cdnn); they have blowouts all the time on police trade-ins and other guns. Some great deals, and plenty of Smiths for $220-250.

Might also check out Summit Gun Broker (http://www.summitgunbroker.com/index.html), who also carries a lot of cheaper police trade-ins.

If you absolutely can't wait or can't afford it, then buy used from either of the above companies, but be aware that the gun will probably be filthy and need a thorough cleaning.

If you can wait, save up and get a Glock or a CZ-75B. CZs can be had for $420 or so, Glocks for $450ish. Either will last you a lifetime, for maybe a hundred bucks more than you'd spend for a used gun of uncertain origin.

starshooter231
December 6, 2007, 08:39 PM
"want something that is some what light and well last a lifetime of use... what do you guys think???".....your quote

Hokkmike said "For this, I think you will have to spend something over $300."
You can get a NIB Kel-Tec P11 for around $225-$250. Lifetime warranty, fun to shoot when you get used to the trigger pull ( a bit long).

CWL
December 6, 2007, 09:17 PM
I think that Ruger would be the best choice for new 9mm. It's a workhorse like a pickup truck, now frills, but it'll keep on working.

kentucky_smith
December 6, 2007, 09:45 PM
You could find an older postwar Walther P1/P38.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Walther.html

kentucky_smith
December 6, 2007, 09:49 PM
Or a Hungarian HighPower

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1273

Hokkmike
December 6, 2007, 09:58 PM
I guess I stand corrected on my "you can't find one under $300" comment. My apologies. Good luck to you. 2 of my friends have Rugers and they never miss a beat.

If you enjoyed reading about "9mm handgun for under $300" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!