1911 vs. Glock fight #3,987,93

PDA

willbrink
December 5, 2007, 03:38 PM
I got myself into one of those 1911 vs. the Glock fights on another forum. Why is it always glock vs. 1911? I can understand someone arguing for example modern DAO pistols vs. the 1911 and naming the glock as one example, but why is it the people who are fixated on the glock as “the ultimate combat handgun” not interested in other brands, such as HK (give me an HK USP over a glock any day…), Sig, etc, etc? I do understand the love of 1911s, but the blinders put on by the Glock brigade is a mystery to me….anyone?

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 vs. Glock fight #3,987,93" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Black Majik
December 5, 2007, 03:42 PM
:rolleyes:

kurtmax
December 5, 2007, 03:42 PM
Glocks are good pistols. It's simply cannot be denied. Yes, comparing Glocks to 1911s is a bit far fetched. It's like comparing different classes of cars. Glocks are more reliable than 1911s, but some people don't like Glocks due to the grip angle and 'gritty' trigger. It's personal preference really.

I think the main reason Glocks outshine other modern DAO pistols is the price. A Glock is just as reliable as a Sig or HK (arguably more reliable than a Sig or HK...), but half the price. Parts are also cheap and it's easy to repair. It's like the Honda Civic of handguns...

Honestly, I could care less what type of pistol you carry, as long as you train with it and you like it. Carry a Nagant revolver around if you like!

Bazooka Joe71
December 5, 2007, 03:43 PM
What kind of a number is #3,987,93?

redneckrepairs
December 5, 2007, 03:44 PM
hold on let me pop the popcorn and snag a brew lol .

SaMx
December 5, 2007, 03:44 PM
I'd guess it's because they're both very popular platforms, and they both have fans that think they're the be all end all of pistols.

rcmodel
December 5, 2007, 03:48 PM
Glock has always had a very good Advertising campaign going since day one.
Brainwashing works on some people very well.

Lots of people believe it is the best gun ever, because they haven't ever owned or tried anything else.

For instance, I often read something to the effect that "Glocks have the best triggers ever put on any handgun", or "Glocks are the most accurate pistols ever made."

That ought to tell you something right there about the experience level of the person forming that opinion!

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/1224.gif
rcmodel

Cannonball888
December 5, 2007, 03:49 PM
The Glock is only more reliable not because of some great precision engineering like it's worshippers would have you believe, but simply because Glocks have a slightly greater chamber size just like AKs which enables them to swallow any ammo.

MrMorden
They are also similar in configuration. Both are carried cocked (the Glock is "half cocked" at least) and both have a fairly light and consistent trigger pull shot to shot.

I think Glocks and 1911s are more similar to each other than other SA/DA pistols are to either, and they tend to invite comparison. Both were also designed with pure function in mind (though what that means in the almost 100 years separating their design has altered a bit).

98C5
I love 1911's, Glocks, Sigs, S&W's, Dan Wessons, Tauri, Rossi, Ed Brown's Kimbers, Springfields, single stacks, SA, DA, DAO, revolvers, single shots, rifles, shotguns, etc, etc, etc, etc..

They're all firearms and I love them all.

Debating over which gun is better is dumb.

We are all supposed to enjoy and respect the firearm, not bicker over what is better.

jmr40
December 5, 2007, 03:58 PM
This will seem strange to some, but Glocks and 1911's are my favorite pistols. I was a Glock doubter for a long time until I ran across a used one at a good price and decided to give them a try. I have tried just about everything out there and these are the two I come back to and the ones I would trust my life to.
I know this seems odd because they are so different, but when I shoot the proof is in the targets. I simply shoot Glocks and 1911"s better. For me at least, both types have proven equally reliable.
Sig would be my choice in a DA/SA pistol. Mine is a fine gun but offers no advantages to me over the Glock and it is much more expensive, as was the HK that I had for a while. I liked everything about the HK except for the fact that mine would not shoot with any accuracy at all. I realize that most are very accurate and I just got a lemon. Not trying to bash any particular brand.

jkingrph
December 5, 2007, 04:00 PM
I have only shot two Glocks and did not care for them, although I could get used to them with a bit of practice.

I suppose I am old fashioned, I like the classic appearance of the 1911, Browning HP ect. I do not like the "modern" clunky appearance of the glocks, the new Walther??, Sigs. although I know they are quality pieces. and do not like the polymer frames, who knows how long they will last, certainly longer than I will.

I do like the triggers on the Para Ordinance LDA handguns.

Wayne G.
December 5, 2007, 04:04 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=68525&stc=1&d=1196885027

willbrink
December 5, 2007, 04:06 PM
One person made an interesting comment "Because the GLOCK design is just as influential as the 1911 design."

If true, it makes at least some sense, though I have a hard time believing that.

RKBABob
December 5, 2007, 04:06 PM
WHOA! You mean to tell me, there were other firearms being designed between 1911 and 1980? :neener:

Honestly, I don't understand why the "space age" polymer wonder would be compared to a pistol designed in 1911, anyway. Heck, why not compare the Glock to a flintlock musket?

You may feel free to send me your Glocks and flintlocks... since no gun magazine has picked up on this idea yet, I'll have to do it myself!

sierrabravo45
December 5, 2007, 04:07 PM
It's because they are made for $75 back in 2003 and a Good 1911 costs more to make.

CountGlockula
December 5, 2007, 04:09 PM
Because you have GLOCK lovers and 1911A1 lovers...no one wins.

willbrink
December 5, 2007, 04:11 PM
I understand the popularity of glocks with depts and military and such, but we all know it has little to do with how great a gun it is per se, but cost, few moving parts, etc. Cost not being a factor, would you take say a Glock to an HK USP if we stick to apples to apples plastic guns?

Glocks serve a niche, no doubt about that and do what they were designed to do well enough, but I dont understand the fixation personally.

Mannix
December 5, 2007, 04:13 PM
Give me an XD or CZ75 over a Glock or a 1911 any day.

/me Puts on flameproof suit.

littledoc
December 5, 2007, 04:17 PM
It seems that both sides got some 'splainin' to do. The Glock isn't the "perfection" their marketing people claim, but is as good as any other pistol out there, especially in 9mm.

The 1911 problem is that it is the most copied design in the world, some really good, some not so good and some downright terrible. And after darn near 100 years of production, there are a lot of "fixed" ones out there done by people who should not be allowed around tools unsupervised. However, a properly set up, true mil spec 1911A1 is still the benchmark for reliability.

Will Glock match that benchmark? Sure it can, but we won't know for a couple of generations.

Edit: The same can be said for HK, SIG or quite a few others.

10-Ring
December 5, 2007, 04:22 PM
Really? Again? :scrutiny:

strat81
December 5, 2007, 04:27 PM
http://blogs.amnestyusa.org/pub/amnestyusa/death-penalty/beating-a-dead-horse.gif

bluestarlizzard
December 5, 2007, 04:40 PM
alright so the 1911 lover goes "1911 are the best thing EVER!" and then the glock lover goes "NOOOOOOO, you are wrong! 'cause glocks rock". Meanwhile others gravitate over and start taking sides "glocks are better" "1911's are better". the battle ensues. of course after awhile a revolver person wanders buy and yells "awww, shutup and get a revolver!", and all the semi auto lovers unite for one moment and go "NO!", then resume the earlier battle, while one little soul sits in the corner and goes "why can't we all get along." *sniffle*

ceetee
December 5, 2007, 04:56 PM
I say we stick a G17 and a 1911 in a box and let them fight it out for themselves. Just mail the box to me, and I'll be the official referee...

sierrabravo45
December 5, 2007, 05:03 PM
The Glocks kind of the Low IQ firearm. Doesn't take much understanding to shoot it.

Just squeeze the trigger.

The 1911 on the other hand has some safety's on the outside that confuses the Glock People.

They fear what they don't understand.

DogBonz
December 5, 2007, 05:14 PM
I'm laughing me arse off over here.

Grendel
December 5, 2007, 05:19 PM
ceetee
I say we stick a G17 and a 1911 in a box and let them fight it out for themselves. Just mail the box to me, and I'll be the official referee...

You could try that..... but Schrodinger's theory says that if you EVER open the box you spoil the results of the experiment.

Grendel

Risasi
December 5, 2007, 05:25 PM
Why is it always glock vs. 1911?

Because the Glocksters have an inferiority complex and feel like they HAVE to prove their (relatively) new plastic pistol reigns supreme over the nearly centenarian veteran?

RoadkingLarry
December 5, 2007, 05:36 PM
KInd of reminds me of all the riceburner riders always going on about how their bike looks just as good as a Harley but is faster, better, cheaper. Yeah sure whatever. You do it your way, I'll do it mine just don't expect me to have to use one of those ugly things...

katastrof0
December 5, 2007, 06:09 PM
Glocks are good pistols. It's simply cannot be denied. Yes, comparing Glocks to 1911s is a bit far fetched. It's like comparing different classes of cars. Glocks are more reliable than 1911s, but some people don't like Glocks due to the grip angle and 'gritty' trigger. It's personal preference really.

Amen!;)

BB John

Autolycus
December 5, 2007, 06:10 PM
Here we go again...

I would just get an HK which is a cross between the two.

katastrof0
December 5, 2007, 06:25 PM
I like Iron Maiden.. You like AC DC
I like Japanese/Korean cars.. you like Ford..
I like "Aliens"... You like "Tremors"
I like Reagan.. You like Bill

Hell.. I like 1911`s and pistols which DONT flex when squeeze them.. You like glocks who does..

Aslong as it works for me and you i dont give a damn:) Personal preference is one of the reasons that this world is interesting;)

Think about it.. If everyone of us have been attracted to the same kind of woman.... Well.. Do i really need to say more?

BB John

Geno
December 5, 2007, 06:49 PM
Diversity. Options. Preferences. Opinions. These are what make life rich.

mpmarty
December 5, 2007, 07:15 PM
'whether 'tis nobler to suffer the slings and arrows of outraged plastic, or to sleep, perhaps to dream of an all steel 1911a1...:evil:

R12GS
December 5, 2007, 07:20 PM
All I know is, at 1911forum under the LEO section, very few recommend anything less than a full blown Wilson combat for a duty weapon. The same is not said about Glock. I own both (a Springfield 1911 that is) and a Glock, my Glock resides in my duty belt.

eldon519
December 5, 2007, 07:43 PM
As far as popularity goes, they're basically the two baddest kids on the block. They're bound to fight (or rather their supporters are).

BrokenArrow
December 6, 2007, 12:54 PM
Benchmarks for reliability?

Depends on who's marking the bench, and when?

When first tested by the US military the M1911 ran 6,000 rounds w/o a malfunction. The 40 year old M1911A1s that set the benchmark for the US military in the early 80s/XM9 trials avgd about 450 rounds. The Beretta and SIG beat that (except in wet/dry mud, where old slabsides was still numero uno).

FBI 1911s and Glocks have fired 20K rounds w/o a malfunction. So have M9s. SIGs, HKs, and S&Ws in recent LE tests have gone 10K w/o a malfunction.

Lottsa good guns out there now.

Get what ya like, or flip a coin and like what ya get.

weisse52
December 6, 2007, 01:19 PM
I love these debates, it is a chance for people to start sharing what they feel, may be fact, may be what they read somewhere, who knows.

I am a dyed in the wool 1911 man. I have owned, traded, sold them for 30+ years. In 45 cal I have to say that the ones I have owned have been very reliable. Maybe the “1911 fairy” has just shined on me. I love them old; I love them new (Colt series 70 re-issue only). I have owned them stock; I have owned them modified. They fit my hand and just are the only thing I collect and keep.

BUT, I also own three Glock's and shoot them far more often than my 1911’s.The reason is simple. I pull trigger they go bang. I use them for CCW and house guns. My reason for doing this is simple. I have NO emotional attachment to any of them. If God forbid I have to use one, I will not shed a tear when they spend a year or more in a police property room, easy to attach lights and lasers. I will not have to explain in court why I felt the need to have a “modified” weapon to defend myself. I do not worry about them rusting, I do not worry about them period.

Both have their place, and both are fine weapons. One is only “better” because we choose to say it is.

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 vs. Glock fight #3,987,93" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!