Primers? Need help

PDA

menohearclicksound
December 5, 2007, 10:23 PM
I ended up with small rifle primers instead of small pistol. I was wondering if it made a difference when loading loads for the .40's and for 38's? I wasn't sure if the rifle primer would build more pressure or not. I have never loaded anything close to published max. I am half paranoid about a kaboom and half enjoying lite loads. Need less to say I don't want to find out the hard way. So I will save these until I get the required equipment for 30 carbine if I am out of luck in using them in my pistols. Please give me your advise as I am new.

If you enjoyed reading about "Primers? Need help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SkydivnShooter
December 5, 2007, 10:31 PM
Interesting that I had this exact conversation with a fellow IPSC shooter after a match last Saturday. We were both picking up .40 brass and I asked him for his favorite recipe. He said he had been reloading since 1997 and rolled off his recipe which included small rifle primers.

I haven't tried them yet, but I'm gonna.

zxcvbob
December 5, 2007, 11:34 PM
When I first started reloading, I bought Federal small rifle primers to use in .30 Carbine and 9mm because I was afraid I might mix them up and use accidently use small pistol primers in the .30.

Small rifle primers will work just fine in a pistol (if your springs are strong enough), but you have to work up the load from minimum. The SR primers will give you higher pressure (maybe a lot higher) but that's OK if you start low and work up.

philbo
December 5, 2007, 11:47 PM
Small rifle primers will work just fine in a pistol (if your springs are strong enough), but you have to work up the load from minimum. The SR primers will give you higher pressure (maybe a lot higher) but that's OK if you start low and work up.

+1, been there and it works fine. Might have some primers that take 2 hits, but if you work up your load you'll be fine.

LotI
December 13, 2007, 06:31 PM
Yes, substituting Rifle primers for Pistol primers is a bad idea, even though they may fit in the primer pocket. There are several differences that affect safety and reliability.
here's where you might have a problem...
Make sure primers are seated .003" to .005" BELOW FLUSH to insure reliable ignition.

If you enjoyed reading about "Primers? Need help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!