Please describe what HK LEM feels like

PDA

FunYet
December 6, 2007, 12:47 PM
The local range does not have any HKs with LEM configurations for rent or sale so I can't try one first hand. What does the LEM feel like when pulled? Is it like double-action with more or less consistent pull throughout? The description on the HK site does not answer my question so any first-hand experience is appreciated.

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Please describe what HK LEM feels like" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BrokenArrow
December 6, 2007, 01:19 PM
It's a long but light and smooth DA pull until it breaks clean and crisp at about 8-10 lbs. The long pull feels like about half that (4-5). At least the 6 I have shot were.

Feels better when you are actually shooting it than it does in dry fire.

Easy to stage for more precise shots: pull until you hit the heavy part and hold, then squeeze it off when ready.

FunYet
December 6, 2007, 01:22 PM
So, it's always double action. Sounds like it might be what I'm looking for. Thanks!

mpc12
December 6, 2007, 01:25 PM
I don't know if you have ever shot a Para LDA, but it is quite like that, just a bit grittier and a harder break point. But, if you have not show one, basically imagine a very long, but very soft take up, then like a solid 6 pound break.

cslinger
December 6, 2007, 01:25 PM
I don't like it. Here is why. In dry firing it feels great to me but when actually firing, I can feel the hammer fall and then slightly rebound back into to position. It was enough of a strange feeling that I simply couldn't get used to the trigger.

Besides that small and likely very personal experience that most folks will probably never notice it is a very nice, basically light double action trigger. It is not true DAO because it is held at a precock position similar to Glock.

BrokenArrow
December 6, 2007, 01:57 PM
Depends on how you define DAO. The feds (DOJ/DHS/NIJ/ATF/FBI/DEA/USMS, etc) call LEM and Glock DAO.

Pulling the LEM trigger performs the double action of 1) cocking and then 2) releasing the hammer to fire the weapon. There is an internal cocking piece that is pre-cocked/fully tensioned when the slide cycles that picks up the hammer and gives it a good whack when you pull the trigger, but the hammer is down then cocked _and_ released by pulling ther trigger.

The XD is considered SA because the striker is fully cocked and just 1) released by pulling the trigger. The Glock is considered DAO because the partially cocked striker is 1) fully cocked (even if it moves just a little bit) and then 2) released by pulling the trigger. Ditto the M&P. The Walther P99AS can be fired both ways (DA and SA).

So, hammer and striker fired guns can both be SA, DA/SA, or DAO.

gbelleh
December 6, 2007, 10:58 PM
Try to find one to shoot before buying. I had a P2000sk and I hated the LEM. After years of DAO and DA/SA shooting, I couldn't get used to the hammer moving forward and backward between shots. The trigger pull is nice and light, but the reset is very weird. I sold it and bought a DA/SA USP which I'm very happy with.

BrokenArrow
December 7, 2007, 08:49 AM
Try before buy is always a good idea.

Was at the range w some CBP guys who were shooting their P2000 w LEM. They would rather have kept their old Glocks, or gone to the XD/M&P, or even the Ruger SR9 I was shooting at the time.

LEM and DAK are as good as it gets w hammer fired DAO, but still would not be my first choice for shooting my best. YMMV.

Jenrick
December 10, 2007, 04:27 AM
If you've ever shot a DAK, the LEM is the same weight at the break, just much lighter through the rest of the trigger.

-Jenrick

Autolycus
December 10, 2007, 04:33 AM
I enjoy mine. It is like firing a crisp DAO revolver according to some. I recommend trying it before you buy it.

The P2000 LEM is not as good as the LEM on a USP or USPc., so keep that in mind.

If you enjoyed reading about "Please describe what HK LEM feels like" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!