How can I....

PDA

Guitargod1985
December 6, 2007, 04:37 PM
How can I remove a right side thumb safety on a 1911 that has an ambidextrous safety? Is it a simple modular process or is gunsmithing involved?

If you enjoyed reading about "How can I...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wditto
December 6, 2007, 04:52 PM
Dremel

Conqueror
December 6, 2007, 05:37 PM
I don't know what wditto means by "dremel."

If you're wondering how to get the right side half off an ambi safety, it only requires removal of the right sided grip to let the tang clear. Once you remove the right grip, the right half of the safety can be wiggled out of the gun. The remainder of disassembly is as any other 1911.

1911 guy
December 7, 2007, 08:55 AM
A Swenson style safety has a protrusion that extends downward under the grip panel. Remove the grip, as per the previous post. Some, however, do not. Removal is a matter of pulling the right side free from the dovetail inside the pistol where the shaft meets with the left side lever.

If you are looking to replace it with a single side safety, it will require a gunsmith to fit the new safety to the sear.

Tempusfugit77
December 7, 2007, 10:43 AM
Fitting a new single sided safety is pretty easy to do yourself with a small file. Instructions are here (http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=37357).

If you enjoyed reading about "How can I...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!