1911 ambi safety seperated

PDA

texjack
December 6, 2007, 10:28 PM
Ambi safety on my Charles Daly seperated on me the other day. The right side is held into place with the sear pin. The left is dovetailed into the right. Somehow the two seperated during an IDPA match, which let my plunger spring fly, then slide stop backed out and jammed my gun. I had to put it all back together while still on the clock.:cuss:I have since put loctite on the dovetail which seems to have fixed the problem. Should I replace it with a single side safety since I shoot right handed? Also, what keeps a standard safety in the frame? Any input from you guys would be appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 ambi safety seperated" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1911 guy
December 7, 2007, 09:12 AM
First, there is no harm in installing a single side safety. Just be sure to either know how to fit it to the sear or have a 'smith do it.

Secondly, the slide stop isn't affected by the safety. I wonder if your handling of it during the safety failure pushed it out of the notch in the slide? Unless it is pushed to the left when lined up with the notch, it is captive to the slide. Loss of the plunger spring will make it lose, but having it come out is unusual.

A single side safety is held into the frame by the ball detent that sits in the small tunnel on the left side of the frame, between the safety and slide stop.

Spartacus451
December 7, 2007, 09:44 AM
I would go with a single side safety. They are less likely to break and they don't interfere with a high grip.

The single side safety is actually not held in by the plunger in the plunger tube. That is only used to keep it from transitioning from on/off. The slide prevents you from rotating the safety high enough for it to clear the cutout in the frame.

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 ambi safety seperated" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!