Ranger vs. Gold Dots in .40

PDA

Blarelli
December 6, 2007, 10:32 PM
I know both of these loads are good, but which one do you personally think performs better.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ranger vs. Gold Dots in .40" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
XD-40 Shooter
December 6, 2007, 11:13 PM
I went with the 165 grain Gold Dot's, these are what the vast majority of the LEO's use, if it works for them, it works for me.:D

rj112275
December 6, 2007, 11:14 PM
I would not want to be shot with either. :neener:

BrokenArrow
December 7, 2007, 08:22 AM
Depends on how you define "performs better".

The FBI has a pretty detailed way of evaluating ammo. They shoot into ballistic gel through heavy cloth, wallboard, plywood, sheet steel, and auto glass. They score based on penetration, expansion, retained weight, accuracy, reliability, etc. They shoot, they measure, they score, they buy millions of rounds...

They are replacing their Speer 165 GD w a new enhanced 180 Ranger bonded load.
After the next run of 180 Ranger Bonded (RA40B) in Feb 08, it will be identical to the new FBI duty load (Q4355).

Most popular weight to US LE is the 180. Biggest federal customer is the DHS who buys mostly 155s, then the DOJ/FBI who bought mostly 165, until now when they have switched to 180 on the latest 5 year contract.

possum
December 7, 2007, 02:24 PM
that depends entirly on the gun which it is fired from and the shooter, some guns like some loads more than others, that can be either, they unction better, or they are more accurate, a defensive load is useless if it isn't 100% reliable. also what is controlable and shootable to the particular shooter has a big impact, if you can't put multiple rds on target and hit the target in a timely manner than the defensive rds are again useless.

KBintheSLC
December 7, 2007, 04:26 PM
I think that the difference between these two excellent cartridges is negligible at best. I would try them both, and go with the one that gives you the best performance out of your gun. I use Gold Dot because none of the local gun shops here sell Rangers. However, it has been an excellent round and I have yet to see one that has a jacket failure.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ranger vs. Gold Dots in .40" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!