Win 748 extending barrel life

PDA

no_problem
December 7, 2007, 08:41 PM
http://www.wwpowder.com/data/propellants/products.php#748

Winchester says of their 748 powder "The low flame temperature of 748 extends barrel life versus other similar speed powders"

That's great news! I thought that low flame powders would also be useful in decreasing flash signature of the ammo that uses this types of powder.

If you enjoyed reading about "Win 748 extending barrel life" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
scrat
December 7, 2007, 08:58 PM
dont know about extending barrel life. However its pretty good powder. i have used it a lot. i think i still have about 2 1/2lbs of it. good recomendation.

no_problem
December 7, 2007, 09:38 PM
wondering if anyone ever observed the "low flame" quality of this powder?

Ol` Joe
December 7, 2007, 10:02 PM
Note it doesn`t say "low flame" it says "low flame Temprature". 2 seperate things......Heat is one of the major factors in throat erosion, pressure is the biggest. I don`t know how much lower the flame temp from similar other powders is, or how much less it effects the throat, but I would give them a an "A" for markeing anyway. :D

no_problem
December 8, 2007, 08:43 AM
<<Note it doesn`t say "low flame" it says "low flame Temprature".>>

Good catch, Joe. Interesting.

Did someone come up with a measure of smokeless powder flame temperature? ie: at 1500 deg F is a threshold for throat erosion? I would imagine that the flame temperature could be controlled by the size of the powder granules and the volume of powder materials. Any chemists out there that can shine the light on the subject of the "low flame phenomenon" and impact on barrel life?

If you enjoyed reading about "Win 748 extending barrel life" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!