What do you think of this 7.62x51 service rifle load?

PDA

uneasy_rider
December 8, 2007, 03:33 PM
I am working up loads to use in an M1A and FAL.

What do you think of this load:

Hornday 150g FMJ BT
Winchester 748, 43.0 grains
OAL 2.735"
Winchester Large rifle primer

Would that be a good load to run though the M1A and FAL?

I would also like to use the same load of powder but with the Hornady 150g Interlock SST Bullet for whitetail deer in a Tikka T3. How will that load work for that?

If you enjoyed reading about "What do you think of this 7.62x51 service rifle load?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
USSR
December 8, 2007, 07:44 PM
I don't use ball powder (not noted for accuracy), so I can't comment on that, but why are you loading your cartridges to such a short OAL? You can load them out to 2.810" and still have them fit a FAL mag.

Don

uneasy_rider
December 8, 2007, 08:55 PM
Thats what the book said to do.

Grump
December 9, 2007, 02:04 AM
I used that charge over CCI 200s for years, topped off with a Sierra 168-gr Matchking. Shot 2 inch benchrested groups at 200 yards, iron sights, every time I tested it.

That was with LC brass.

With 147-gr bullets, I used 45.5 WW=748, and they shot fine, too.

Both were published by the NRA as "military shoot-alike" loads sometime back like 1983-85 or so, with a warning "not to be exceeded in military brass", IIRC.

My only complaint was 1 fps change in velocity for every 2 degrees F in temperature change. During the course of a typical 600-yard SF stage, I would usually have to crank elevation down 1 MOA somewhere between shots 12 and 15...between the day warming up and the rifle heating up a bit.

I'm about *this close* to loading more of those match loads with 748.

If you enjoyed reading about "What do you think of this 7.62x51 service rifle load?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!