NEF firing Pins Problem

PDA

YellowNBlack
December 9, 2007, 12:24 AM
Hello
I am an amateur gunsmith and was brought a 22-250 NEF with a firing pin problem. The owner claims that every once in a while the pin does not fire the round. He thinks it needs a new firing pin. From what I have read it seems that since it has a transfer bar if you don't close the gun tight or if you don't use a continual pull on the trigger the transfer bar never engages so you get a misfired round.
Any suggestions?
Jerry

If you enjoyed reading about "NEF firing Pins Problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
asknight
December 9, 2007, 04:10 AM
Is it scoped with the offset hammer spur installed? I have seen the hammer spring get too weak for reliable firestarting after quite a few rounds (low hundreds) were run through the gun, especially with the offset spur installed. The firing pin is tough, and usually ok.

In the cases of weak ignition/misfires, the problem was cured by this $6.99 part (http://gunsprings.com/RifleShotgun/HR_RsNF.html).

If you enjoyed reading about "NEF firing Pins Problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!