Sacramento THR Shoot 1-18-03 or 1-19-03

PDA

45R
January 10, 2003, 12:49 PM
Several of us Sacramento THRs have had a chance to meet up and do some shooting.

Either 1-18-03 or 1-19-03 we are planning to go shooting again at Cordova Shooting Center. Anyone interested in more then welcome to come out! Please PM or email me if you have any questions!

So far:
Dr. Jones
Geno
Sactown
Shalako
TopGun
WOT and Jayhway (if your reading this PM me!)

45R

If you enjoyed reading about "Sacramento THR Shoot 1-18-03 or 1-19-03" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sactown
January 10, 2003, 01:25 PM
Hell Yeah, I'm gonna be there...wait...I'm always there anyhow.

Bob
January 10, 2003, 01:30 PM
I'm on duty that weekend. Any of you guys ever go to Spenceville? It's too muddy now, but come drier weather I'll be up there. My shooting buddy just had a cornea transplant so the doc won't let him shoot for a while.
Bob

45R
January 10, 2003, 01:45 PM
Brrlgrrl might be in with another shooter!

Keep posting to this tread or PM me.

Thanks all!!

45R

Drjones
January 10, 2003, 02:01 PM
You know I'll be there!

Malone LaVeigh
January 10, 2003, 03:11 PM
I'm going to be in SF marching for peace on the 19th. Shooting the day before would be fun. Don't base the plans on me, though. Getting away for two days of the weekend might be asking for a bit much...

Pendragon
January 10, 2003, 03:53 PM
Ooooo!

I might actually be able to make this - since there is more than 48 hours notice.

I gotta wring out my new acquisition and the Valtro is getting antsy...

9mmepiphany
January 10, 2003, 07:03 PM
i hear to call...firing off a PM

45R
January 15, 2003, 12:08 PM
Update:

The concencous is 1-19-03 at Cordova Shooting Center.

PMs have been sent.

45R

Sactown
January 15, 2003, 08:41 PM
Cool,

I'll bringout my Garand, Blaser R93, M1A, and my STI Trojan. BYOA, eh?

Shalako
January 15, 2003, 08:46 PM
Excellent!!

:cool:

Pendragon
January 15, 2003, 10:17 PM
Cool!

I can make Sunday - I got 2 family B-day parties on Saturday :P

45R
January 15, 2003, 11:46 PM
1-19-03 at Cordova Shooting Center 10:30am.

Pendragon: PM me with your number so I can get in touch with you before Sunday.

tex_n_cal
January 15, 2003, 11:50 PM
Sounds like fun. I am 4 hours or so away. What are most folks bringing to shoot? rifles? pistols? Outdoors, I assume?

Please PM me.

Thanks

Patrick

45R
January 16, 2003, 12:47 PM
Confirmed at this time:
45R + 1
Dr. Jones + or - 2
Pendragon
Sactown
Shalako
TopGun
Tex_n_Cal (dependant on if friend comes into town)

Pending: 9mmepiphany, Geno, Jayhway, Bob and Malone LaVeigh

Drjones
January 16, 2003, 04:56 PM
Cool!

I'm so stoked we're going to have so many!!!

I will be bringing my dad, maybe a friend, and *maybe* HOPEFULLLY a buddy of mine who has an AK!!! :what: :D :D

We'll see....

gumshoe4
January 16, 2003, 09:08 PM
Am I invited? If so, I'll bring my new P225, which I have not yet shot, and a couple of Ruger autos.

Bob
TFL# 8032

Drjones
January 16, 2003, 09:10 PM
Of course you are!!!

The more the merrier!!!

I have never shot a sig. Would you mind if I shot yours please?

I'll let you play with mine!!! :D

Sactown
January 17, 2003, 12:01 AM
You'll love that P225. I've had mine little over a year. Suuuweeeetttt!! I'll be packing mostly rifles.

gumshoe4
January 17, 2003, 12:07 AM
Most cool. I will B there!!

And you most certainly may shoot my P225. :cool:

Bob
TFL#8032

45R
January 17, 2003, 12:48 AM
gumshoe4-

PM me with your number so we can all decide were to meet up.

Dr. Jones-
I'll bring out my P226 also. Its a 225 thats double stacked :)

45R

pittspilot
January 17, 2003, 02:53 AM
There is a possibility I may be able to make it.

pm sent

45R
January 17, 2003, 10:57 AM
Date: 1/19/03
Time: 10:30am
Place:
Cordova Shooting Ctr
11551 Douglas Rd, Rancho Cordova, CA 95742
Phone: (916) 351-0205

Bring your own Rifles, Pistols and Ammo.

Admission at the range is 10 dollars.

Pistol range = 10yards
Rifle range = 100 yards

They have a .50 Rifle that you can rent. 3 shots for 20 bucks.
:evil:

Pendragon
January 17, 2003, 09:41 PM
*confirmed* I will be there for certain.

I need to hit the reloading pretty hard tonight and tomorrow :D

45R
January 17, 2003, 11:17 PM
Hey guys, My girlfriend wants to know if she is going to be the only female there?

I may not be available on the PC after this post. If there are more people coming please PM Dr. Jones for more information on the shoot.

So far:
Dr. Jones (Confirmed)
Gumshoe4 ( please Check your PM)
Pendragon (confirmed)
Pittspilot (pending)
Sactown (confirmed)
Shalako (confirmed)
TopGun (confirmed)

(Pending 9mmepiphany and Brrgrrl please check PMs)

MIA: Tex_n_cal: has company from out of town.

45R

pittspilot
January 18, 2003, 03:50 PM
I am in, and will see you guys at the time stated

45R
January 18, 2003, 04:00 PM
Pittspilot-
There are two parts to Cordova Shooting Center.

When you pull in pay for range fees at the store it will be on your right hand side. Meet in front of the range area on the left side.
We will all be hanging out in that area.

45R

pittspilot
January 18, 2003, 05:25 PM
Thanks

I got the phone message too, and appreciate that.

Look forward to tomorrow

45R
January 18, 2003, 06:17 PM
For those who dont know, there are no lanes reserved for us. Its a first come first serve type of deal. Most of the shooters will be bringing pistols. If you have rifles bring'em!!!!

See you tomorrow!

Dr.Jones
Pendragon
Pittspilot
Sactown
Shalako
Topgun

Dress warm and bring your significant others if they shoot!

45R

9mmepiphany
January 19, 2003, 12:09 AM
sorry guys, i'm not really a flake...just been unable to get on-line all week... long story+new baby etc

won't be able to make it, gotta be at work by 11:30 on sunday. :( and i was really looking forward to meeting some of you guys...maybe next time

enjoy the day :p

pittspilot
January 19, 2003, 06:45 PM
Hey Guys

That was a lot of fun. I got to shoot a bunch of different stuff. Thanks to 45R for letting me shoot so many of his sweet rifles, and all the others that let me shoot their pistols.

We must do it again

Well, off to to do some major cleaning

Tim

Topgun
January 19, 2003, 07:36 PM
Guess whose pistol box fell over when he had to stop fast on Sunrise to keep from running a red light and all the guns tumbled all over each other and made a big racket and I shudda run the damn light.

BUT.....the SHOOT was fun. Gotta try it again when it is above 3 degrees out.

Guns cleaned and all put away. None scratched. Whew.

gumshoe4
January 19, 2003, 08:10 PM
I had a great time, also. Lots of nice people and firearms. I'd like to do that again!! Next time, I'm bringing round guns, just for DIVERSITY!!

Nelson, thanks very much for the tips on the P-225. When I cleaned it this PM, I attempted to pull the trigger block out, but was unable to do so. Not critical. Successfully polished the feedramp and I think it'll feed a lot better now, but actually, it was doing OK with the JHPs towards the end. Greasing the slide really helped. ALSO-thank you for taking the time and putting in the effort to get this show on the road.

Tim, I'll be emailing you about the 1911 reference books.

Dr Jones-hope that Glock slide cleaning helps. Let me know.

Bob
TFL# 8032

45R
January 19, 2003, 11:38 PM
For all those interested we had a great time. Thank you everyone for showing up and making this a sucess!

Pittspilot-
You should send the thanks to Sactown for the rifles, though I do see how you can get us mixed up. :)

Topgun-:what: Man I am glad that your guns didnt get scratched, thanks for letting me shoot one of your toys!

Sactown- As usual thanks, the rifles were alot of fun, now my girl wants orange speed loader and a C-More :)

Gumshoe- Here is the reference on taking down the Sig. http://sigforum.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=67460841&f=150601935&m=8966012191&r=5466003291#5466003291he reference on taking down the Sig.

I'm glad that your 225 was working good for you in the end.
http://www.militec1.com/

Thats the website for the grease! Its good stuff. I just that with FP10
www.fp10.com

Pendragon- Thanks for coming out, even though you showed up a little late, I'm glad that you had a chance to do some shooting with us. That 1911 is sweeet!!!!!

Dr. Jones- Hope you get you evil black gun working. :)

and Shakalo- Its always a pleasure!!

Thanks again to everyone for coming and for those of you who werent able to make it....uhhhh you missed a good time.:evil:

I believe the next time we are going to meet is out at Yolo County Sportsman Association.

I'll get the skimpy on it for you all!

Thanks everyone for the company and the toys!

45R

Shalako
January 19, 2003, 11:49 PM
Yeah, that was a lot of fun. Thanks 45R for putting this shoot together. I met a a lot of really cool folks today and look forward to the next outing. All of you folks have some great taste in firearms and I sure enjoyed the opportunity to check'em out. Next time we should have them just drop off a pallet of ammo for us.... Ha ha.

Later,
Shalako

Sactown
January 20, 2003, 02:25 AM
That was fun. Nice to meet everyone. Seems like most people where into pistols so next time I'll bring out more of my pistols. I went over to pistols after I finished my rifles and everyone was gone except for Pendragon and 45R.

Pendragon,

Thanks for the test drive on the Valtro. Nice pistol.

Til next time!

Drjones
January 20, 2003, 03:55 AM
Everyone:

I had so much fun meeting everyone and shooting all the different guns!!!

Believe it or not, I hadn't shot a revolver before today! :what:

Thank you for the experience!

Bob: Detail stripping the Glock slides is CAKE!!! EVERYONE should do it frequently! I did both the 27 and 30. 27 was FILTHY!!! :what:

Obviously, I haven't shot the G30 again yet to test, but soon.... Hopefully that clears up the problem. The G30 is a fine gun.

Thank you SO much for the tip!

Pendragon: Nice to finally meet you, and what a GORGEOUS Valtro! Man, that thing is tuned! :jealous:

Sorry I cut out rather early, but my dad and I had some family stuff to attend to. (Nothing bad....just stuff....)

Hey, I was thinking, how's about we meet somewhere for dinner or something some night soon? Shooting is a blast of course, (pun intended) but it'd be nice to sit down and actually TALK rather that yell at each other during cease-fires. (Well, when Pendragon isn't getting yelled at for rooting through his bag! :evil: )

So, dinner? Drinks? What you think?

At any rate, it was great to put a face with the handles here, and lots of fun. Let's do it again soon!

Drjones
Strati

Pendragon
January 20, 2003, 05:26 AM
The only guns I shot (besides mine) was Shalakos Trojan - very nice gun and I will probably buy one in the future to expand my 1911 battery - and his cool optical sighted target .22 - man, those red dots are FUN.

As for getting yelled at for getting in my bad at the cease fire:

The rented ear muffs were NOT working and the noise was killing me - I walked all the way to the head range master and said "I have some ear plugs in my bag on the bench - can I get them?" he said no problem.

THEN - the young guy RM saw me doing it (I was trying to reach in one handed and be quick, but could not find them) and he yelled at me :rolleyes:. I probably should have waited until after the CF but the sound was killing me.

Nice to meet all of you - Dr Jones, it was very cool of you to bring your dad - I think you have mentioned that he is not into guns - it took me a while to put that together at the range. Hopefully, he left with a good impression.

Sactown, 45R, Shalako, Dr jones - it was very nice to put some faces to the names - I really did not get a chance to talk much to anyone else.

Also, for the record, I was not late - I have a 1 year old, and I operate on what is called "baby time" meaning any time I say I will be somewhere, there is the unspoken rule that I can be up to 2 hours late due to napping, poo-poo, pee-pee and other diversion. :p

Lets do this again sometime

Drjones
January 20, 2003, 05:31 AM
Pendragon: Just givin' you a hard time about that! :D

I was honestly waiting for them to draw down on you or something! :what: :uhoh:

My dad likes to shoot. He's definitely not as "pro" as most of us here, but he's very reasonable, and I'm sure with enough time around people who think like us here, he could see our side.

I just feel badly because he really wants to improve his skill at shooting, but I don't have the skills myself to teach him.

Hmmm....that gives me an idea! Maybe for Father's Day or something I'll get him into a class! Cool.....!

He did enjoy meeting you all, though! We do love to spend time together.

Sactown
January 20, 2003, 03:11 PM
Haha...we need to wear name tags next time. Pendragon, that way my Trojan and .22. :D

pittspilot
January 20, 2003, 03:58 PM
Ooops, sorry.

Thanks to SacTown for letting me shoot is rifles. My shoulder hurts today:p

45R
January 20, 2003, 05:18 PM
Pittspilot

Swing by the office today. I can fix your shoulder! :)

45R

gumshoe4
January 20, 2003, 07:45 PM
Dr Jones-Glad that you figured out the Glock slide strip process. Pretty amazing how much mud gets into the firing pin channel, ain't it?

Also, now that I know you haven't shot a lot of ROUND guns, I definitely am going to bring several with me next time, including the 4" L-frame, 2" J-frame and 3" N-frame, all DAO and slicked up within an inch of their lives. My mission is to CONVERT you!!! :p Just kidding, but you really have to try a tuned Smith revolver to believe it.

45R-thanks for the links. I better get busy!!

Bob
TFL# 8032

Drjones
January 20, 2003, 07:48 PM
Dr Jones-Glad that you figured out the Glock slide strip process. Pretty amazing how much mud gets into the firing pin channel, ain't it?

No joke!!! And you should've seen the absolute MESS that was my G27 extractor!

Funny...the 27 was by FAR way filthier than the 30, yet the 27 functions flawlessly... :scrutiny:

I'd love to try some of your wheelguns!

Thanks for the offer!

What do you think of my idea for dinner for all of us sometime?

Drjones

gumshoe4
January 20, 2003, 07:53 PM
I think it's a great idea. I also think my wife would like to go-she generally has difficulty getting away for a range day, but she definitely would go to dinner!!!

Bob
TFL# 8032

Drjones
January 20, 2003, 07:55 PM
Of course bring her!

I'm glad to hear you'd like to do that...

Stay tuned for dates.....

45R
January 20, 2003, 11:59 PM
DJ-
You know I'll be there. Bring the BC so we can cut the steak. :)

Nelson

tex_n_cal
January 21, 2003, 12:58 AM
sounds like you guys had a great time. Do give me a yell next time.:D

Topgun
January 21, 2003, 01:31 PM
Now I need your HELP. Or professional help.

Please tell me that the Blaser jammed right after I fired it. Or tell me it's hard to clean. Or that it won't hold a zero.....something...ANYTHING!

Convince me that I do NOT need one.

Who needs one? Just because it shoots little bitty groups at 100 yards instead of a nice pistol PATTERN at 15 yards is no reason to want one.

Right? Huh? It's no good is it? You don't like it anymore. You want to get rid of it. You are getting sleepy.

Shalako
January 21, 2003, 04:10 PM
Resistance is futile......Topgun. You must be assimilated to the world of high accuracy. You must march to Wildsports now and procure the heavybarreled tack driver of your choice.

I repeat....resistance is futile. Don't fight it.

:D

pittspilot
January 21, 2003, 04:17 PM
Yeah, thank god I only fired that Blazer once. It was addicting. However, I cannot afford a tackdriver on a milsurp budget. However, there are some milsurps that I am considering. For instance I loved the blast on the short barrelled M44 SacTown had.

Sactown
January 21, 2003, 04:53 PM
No one should get a Blaser. They're way too boring. Shooting one hole groups at 100yds, you'll just get bored and shove it into the back of the safe. You could move out to longer ranges, but then you gotta hike out there to change the targets. It's more challenging to have a rifle with a creepy trigger and shoot large groups. That straight pull action is way to fast and smooth so you'll end up shooting too much ammo. Cleaning is a pain. There are soooo many parts, you know the barrel and the bolt. In the end, it's just not worth the effort for perfection. :D

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid47/p7d4b772dccac4273f6dd6830728478dc/fcc28776.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid47/p82977148cd3e8e6901a2e0b106119408/fcc286c9.jpg

45R
January 21, 2003, 07:04 PM
Cousin for the last time put the Blaser replica back in your closet :)

Pretty realistic for a soft airgun :):evil: :neener: :D

gumshoe4
January 21, 2003, 11:51 PM
:D :D :D

OK, this is what I get for not shooting Sactown's long guns and generally being a handgun guy without a lot of knowledge of long guns.

What's a Blazer? Ignorant look follows...:scrutiny:

Bob
TFL#8032

45R
January 22, 2003, 12:05 PM
Gumshoe4-

A Blazer is a SUV developed by Chevy for the nuclear family....oh wait a BLASER......See pictures above. :)

45R

gumshoe4
January 23, 2003, 10:27 PM
I saw the pictures. It looks to me like a bolt-action rifle with a modern design stock made from composite materials. Is it a single shot or does it have a magazine? What round is it chambered for?

Truthfully, I don't know why I'm asking, except for academic interest, because I shoot long arms left-handed due to the fact that I have a left master eye. That means that most bolt-action and semi-auto rifles don't work for me, because the bolt handle is usually on the wrong side of the gun and the ejected brass is flung across my face!!! Maybe that's why I don't know much about long arms.

I'd like to get a nice rifle, but I'm still searching for the right one.

Bob
TFL# 8032

Sactown
January 24, 2003, 01:17 AM
Checkout this link for more info: http://www.sigarms.com/products/blaser-lrs2.asp

Mine is chambered in .308 and is the model before upgraded LRS2.

rick_reno
January 24, 2003, 01:55 AM
Do any of you Sacramento folks know of a bullseye league there? How about indoor shooting ranges? Are there any? I might be coming down there to do some work and would like a place to shoot (near Folsom) that is open in the evening/weekends.

gumshoe4
January 24, 2003, 02:15 AM
Thanks, Sactown. I now know more than I did 5 minutes ago. Compensating for the senility setting in :D

Rick Reno-There are no indoor ranges in the Sacramento area any more. The nearest indoor range I'm aware of is in Stockton, I believe, about 40 miles south.

There are several outdoor ranges, including Cordova Shooting Center in Rancho Cordova, Sac Valley Shooting Center near Ione (about 30 miles SE of Sacto) and another one up near Lincoln about 25 miles NE of Sacto. There are probably others I don't know about.

Sac Valley Shooting Center has many competitive shooting activities, including IPSC, silhouette and lots of other stuff. If anyone has a bullseye club, it's probably Sac Valley.

I'm sure some of the other guys on here can provide additional info.

Bob
TFL# 8032

Poohgyrr
January 24, 2003, 02:17 AM
Awwww man,
I missed this thread until just now :(. I always want to shoot and Cordova is closer than Sac Valley. I'l send a PM.
:banghead: :cuss: :(

Poohgyrr
January 24, 2003, 02:21 AM
Rick,
I think I posted a message somewhere else on your question, but the only indoor range I know of around here is the Mangan Range in Mangan Park I think a block south of Fruitridge in Greenhaven. This is a City type range and I've seen NRA bullseye matches advertised at this range in the American Rifleman. Two partners from work shoot there on Thursday nights.

Best

Pendragon
January 24, 2003, 06:24 PM
The indoor city range only lets you shoot handguns at certain days and times - not sure which. Also, they do not let you shoot overly loud guns (magnums, etc). Never been there, but my BIL was asked (very nicely) to leave after shooting his AMT .30carbine pistol. They said they have to keep the noise down due to the poximity to homes or something...

The Gun Room in Elk Grove is constructing a state of the art indoor facility south of Elk Grove a few miles - I think it is supposed to be done by summer - maybe even by May.

Edit: just called them and they said April/May - the building is up and painted, parking lot in - just finishing the inside.

They have total state of the art filtration and you WILL be able to shoot lead in that range. He said they will charge about $10 per hour.

45R
January 24, 2003, 07:57 PM
WOW 10 bucks an hour. :what: I could save my money drive out to Stockton to Target Masters shoot lead, and still have money left over for dinner, gas and a gun rental.

Or I can visit Mangun and it'd be a few bucks. I can pretty much shoot anything...within reason

I hope its just a flat fee. One of the Bay Area ranges that I visit states they charge 10 bucks an hour, but thats just actually a flat rate.

9mmepiphany
January 24, 2003, 08:03 PM
i could even see a decreasing rate for each additional hour. maybe the rate would only be enforced during peak time...with folks backed up waiting for lanes.

i hope they fair better then the indoor range that used to be on croyden, off mather field road, it was pretty nice when it started but when quickly downhill as management changed.

hey guys, what ever happened to the range that was over in west sac ?

45R
January 24, 2003, 08:10 PM
Rumor is that West Sac Range was closed down due to a few people winning the Darwin award. I guess WS didnt want a range there so after a few dumb people won the award it was closed down.

You would think the range fee would be cheaper so that more people would come visit the new range. I hope that its going to be a gun shop/ range.

9mmepiphany
January 24, 2003, 08:44 PM
if it is at all affordable/convenient, i'll support it...we need a good indoor range in town

Poohgyrr
January 25, 2003, 02:10 AM
The Firing Pin wasn't a bad place. The owner of ASI (a few doors down) wanted to buy it as they did their shooting stuff there anyway, but Firing Pins' people just would not sell. I'm waiting for the new range to open.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sacramento THR Shoot 1-18-03 or 1-19-03" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!