50 BMG build

PDA

InfidelCastro
December 9, 2007, 11:59 PM
Hey guys.

I have an m2 barrel that I bought a while back in hopes of following through with Bill Holme's BMG plans, but come to think of it I'd much rather have a traditional bolt-action rifle rather than a fugly tube gun.

Doing some reading I learned that the BMG is actually just an upscaled .30-06, so going by that could one just upscale a .30-06 bolt rifle the same amount to accommodate the BMG cartridge (or .510 DTC in my case)? This would be from scratch of course, but it would still save me the time of trying to engineer a whole new mechanism.

Do you gunsmiths think a simple upscaled .30-06 rifle could withstand the beating from a 50, or would a little beefing up be necessary?

My other question is, what's a simple .30-06 rifle that I could reference off of, or better yet, does anyone know of plans for a .30-06 bolt rifle?

If you enjoyed reading about "50 BMG build" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jmorris
December 10, 2007, 10:36 AM
go to http://www.maadigriffin.com/ I built my 50 from the plans they sell.

mrkubota
December 10, 2007, 10:55 AM
If that M2HB barrel is still uncut, it could be worth a lot more to the beltfed shooters over at M2HB.net. Especially, if it's chromed or stellite lined!

Good .510 barrel blanks are available from Pac-Nor and will be easier to chamber into .50DTC than to rechamber the M2 barrel.

rcmodel
December 10, 2007, 12:16 PM
If it's Stellite lined, there will be no way to rechamber it.

Stellite is harder then WoodPecker Lips!

I would agree it's probably worth more anymore as a .50 BMG barrel then as a "project" barrel.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/1224.gif
rcmodel

InfidelCastro
December 10, 2007, 06:23 PM
The barrel is of the older steel variant and not stellite, or at least according to the guy I bought it from.

Is there any way to tell?

If you enjoyed reading about "50 BMG build" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!