CRKT Sting

PDA

Patrick_Henry
December 10, 2007, 11:48 AM
Hey Guys,
I'm thinking about getting a good (no more than $35) dagger for carry. I found this one recently and was wondering if anybody had one or knew much about them. I know that CRKT makes a good knife but I don't know anybody who has one so I figured one of ya'll might have something for me...

Here is a link:
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/38570-47280-1276.html

If you enjoyed reading about "CRKT Sting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Joe Demko
December 10, 2007, 12:09 PM
I don't have one of the CRKT-made ones, but I do have several of the original Solingen Stings. As daggers go, it's a handy design. AG says these are high quality and he doesn't put his name on junk.

hso
December 10, 2007, 01:48 PM
I have Stings from AG as well as CRKT. The quality on both is good.

They're very handy small daggers, with an emphasis on "small".

Remember to check your state and local laws on carrying a dagger.

Patrick_Henry
December 10, 2007, 03:03 PM
I'm actually interested in it because of laws. It's gotta stay under 3.5 inches which the sting does very well with. Thanks for the help.

DAVIDSDIVAD
December 10, 2007, 09:10 PM
Well, in texas, anything with two edges is considered a dagger, and is explicitly forbidden, even if it is under the legal length.

I'd make sure, first, Patrick

james_bond
December 10, 2007, 09:14 PM
You can't likley carry it but it is a fine blade there are a lot of folks who hate the sheath, but that is kydex is for.

MRIman
December 10, 2007, 09:39 PM
I've got a few CRKT Stings. It's a nice knife.
If you check out "E-Gay",you should be able to find them cheap.
Got 2 of them for $56 shipped.
Yes,check local laws!!!!!!!!!

MRI

markk
December 11, 2007, 09:48 PM
Ths Sting is one of my most carried knives.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
December 17, 2007, 06:13 PM
The AG Russell / CRKT Sting is an excellent fighting / self-defense knife. It is soft steel, which is actually good because this means it is tough - that's what you want in a fighting knife that may be used to thrust into someone and encounter hard bones. It won't hold an edge very long, but it absolutely doesn't need to - it's not made for everyday carry - it's made to use only when necessary, to save your bacon in a fight. The perfect steel for that use also happens to be cheap, which is why the knife is cheap. Don't try to make it what it's not (EDC), and it's a great knife. Obviously, I have one. :)

alwilliam
December 17, 2007, 10:56 PM
Years ago I had a original 1 piece sting with no scales along with a ASP watchband sheath...They are OK but as said the originals were small...to small of a handle for my use.

Joe Demko
December 20, 2007, 11:45 AM
AG Russell marketed a larger version of the Sting called the Sting 1A, IIRC. It had a substantially larger and more hand-filling grip. I have a fine example with ivory Rucarta handle scales. I had another with coral Rucarta scales too, but some airline security scumbag has it now.
Anyhow, it'd be nice to see CRKT bring back the Sing 1A, even if only in the skeleton variant.

If you enjoyed reading about "CRKT Sting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!