extractor @ rear sight upgrade on SA

PDA

lonewolf5347
December 10, 2007, 01:16 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to up grade the extractor on my full size mil-spec
I was wondering which manufacture is a good choice to go with.
I have no problems with mine now must have close to 1100 rounds threw the gun with no problems what so ever.
I would just like to upgrade and have one for a spare.
My next question can the extractor be tuned to just drop the empty cases to drop straight down?i would say they shoot to the right about 3 FT just about in the same spot all the time.

Sight question the slide on the mil spec dovetail cut?
I FOUND IN BROWNELLS BOOK A REAR ADJUSTABLE SIGHT LOW PROFLIE (LPA SIGHTS)
3625-100-311 DA - SAYS FITS 1911 AUTO,45 GOV'T
3625-100312DA - FITS COLT 1911 70,80,90, SERIES
anyone know which one I need to order for the mil=spec factory slide?
Yes it also states original front sight not needed to be replaced

If you enjoyed reading about "extractor @ rear sight upgrade on SA" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hit or miss
December 10, 2007, 10:45 PM
I am looking to do some upgrades to my SA full size and the extractor was one of the items I'm looking at. I have found some good info in the 1911 clinic sticky at the top of the page. I think most of the parts are like most guns, mostly good with some preferring one over the other for any number of reasons.

Can't help with the sight though. I ordered one and am hoping it will fit the standard dovetail. My impression is most of the low profile require milling the slide. I can't remember the exact one I ordered but Brownell's is pretty good at mentioning whether milling is required. I also am planning to dovetail the front of the slide to add a decent front sight as I hate the stock one.

Good luck
Scott

Jim Watson
December 10, 2007, 11:00 PM
I have wondered about that sight spec myself. Best call Brownell's tech service and ask before you order.

If you have an extractor-ejector-spring combination that drops empties in the same spot 3 feet away, consider yourself lucky. A setup to just clear the gun and drop the empties at your feet would not likely be reliable.

texjack
December 11, 2007, 11:01 PM
I installed an Ed Brown "hardcore" extractor and EGW oversize firing pin stop in my full size 1911. It was an easy job, and the extractor does not "clock" the way it used to. I would highly recommend these parts (got mine from Brownell's). I also replaced the ejector with an extended one, tuned it to throw the brass up-right about a 45degree angle. My 1911 is now very reliable.

If you enjoyed reading about "extractor @ rear sight upgrade on SA" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!