Colt Trooper MKIII

PDA

john1911
December 10, 2007, 03:22 PM
I bought a Colt Trooper MKIII today. It's .357 with a 4" bbl. Gun looks to be in excellent condition. A faint cylinder ring and a little blueing wear near the muzzle. No endshake or movement of the cylinder when locked up. One small scratch on the frame below the cylinder on the left side. Screws look good.

Serial # L962xx

Anybody know anything about this? How much should I have paid? Anyone turn me on to some factory grips or an owner's manual? Looks like it's wearing some Hogue grips now.

I'll try to post some pics when I pick it up Thursday.

Thanks for any help.

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt Trooper MKIII" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bannockburn
December 10, 2007, 07:14 PM
I'm not positive, but I think it may have been made in 1978. For factory grips,you might want to try Bob's Gun Parts at gun-parts.com, or Numrich at e-gunparts.com.

john1911
December 10, 2007, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the info. I just ordered some grips from Numrich.

bannockburn
December 10, 2007, 08:05 PM
john1911

The Trooper Mk.III, with a 4" barrel, was one of my favorite .357's, along with a later model Mk.V that I had with a 6" barrel. Great guns, well built and reliable, though I've always felt my Smiths had smoother actions than their Colt counterparts. The factory grips on the Mk.V that I had were the first ones I ever had that fit my hand perfectly, right out of the box.

Starter52
December 10, 2007, 09:00 PM
You have a solid revolver that will last you a lifetime. A well-made and tough-as-nails gun.

Some advice from the experts over at coltforum: Don't dry-fire you gun without snapcaps. The MK III is about the only centerfire revolver that should not be dry-fired empty, due to possible firing pin breakage.

Congratulations on your purchase.

Ash
December 10, 2007, 09:02 PM
I'm fond of mine in .22LR.

Ash

22-rimfire
December 10, 2007, 09:25 PM
How much you pay for it? Original stocks and manual can often be gotten through ebay auctions. I'd guess around $400-$425 these days without the original stocks.

john1911
December 10, 2007, 09:41 PM
How much you pay for it?

$405.00+tax

I hadn't really researched this model, I was planning on buying a GP-100. Happened to wander into the gun store today and found this. First Colt (used or new) I've found in my area.

They had a S&W model 66 with recessed cylinder for a little bit more. If it will hang around for a couple more months, I'll buy it too.

22-rimfire
December 10, 2007, 11:00 PM
I prefer the rubbers for shooting them. I love my 6" Trooper Mark III 357. Shoots really good. Bought it to shoot and I do shoot it. Got a few of the 22's as well. They are all tucked away though (safe queens). I totally ignored the Trooper Mark III when they were available retail. I kind of had Python and Diamondback-itis back in those days.

Sounds like you certainly didn't get taken on the price which is good to see. You paid a fair price.

marlin1888
December 10, 2007, 11:37 PM
I bought my Trooper MK III (.357 Mag 4" barrel) about 15-years ago in a similar condition to your discription. I think I paid about $300 back then. Although it has a nice action, I have found the barrel leads worse than any of my S+W Revolvers, and even when cleaned, isn't as accurate. But I really like the original factory grips (much better than my S+W grips from the same era) and have never wanted to change them. It has always been very reliable and I have kept it due to it's Law Enforcement history.

It's a nice revolver, and you can feel good about owning one. If you get to shoot a Ruger GP-100, you will find they feel and very differnt.

SeanSw
December 11, 2007, 09:15 PM
I was an idiot to turn down a $350 MkIII in 95% condition :banghead:

It will probably be years before I even come across one in that condition for less than $500.

john1911
December 13, 2007, 01:25 PM
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m145/john1911/mewcolt4.jpg
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m145/john1911/newcolt1.jpg

A couple of pictures of my new (to me) Colt. Sorry about the poor quality.

strangelittleman
December 13, 2007, 01:55 PM
You Lucky Dog! The Trooper MK3 is one of the great combat revolvers! Good shooting! It'll last 2 life times!

wideym
December 13, 2007, 04:22 PM
Call or write Colt for a manual. They should send you one for free, also while looking at one gun manufacturer(can't remember who) website they had manuals you could download.

Japle
December 14, 2007, 08:31 PM
I had one with an 8" barrel in the early '80s that I used for metallic silhouette. With a Speer 158 JHP and a heavy load of WW296 it would group 3-4" at 100 meters.

I probably put 1200-1500 rounds of hot handloads through it before another shooter talked me out of it. The gun was still tight and he shot it at least two more years that I know of.

They're solid little guns.

John
Cape Canaveral

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt Trooper MKIII" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!