Saddam's Sons Likely Killed in Firefight, U.S. Officials Say

PDA

2dogs
July 22, 2003, 12:07 PM
The Prez's poll numbers are dropping- got to get Saddam now.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,92591,00.html

Saddam's Sons Likely Killed in Firefight, U.S. Officials Say

Tuesday, July 22, 2003

MOSUL, Iraq — Saddam Hussein's sons Odai and Qusai (search) were likely killed Tuesday when U.S. soldiers stormed a house in the northern Iraqi city of Mosul, U.S. military sources told Fox News.

Officials earlier confirmed that four key allies of the former Iraqi dictator had been killed inside the house, a large villa that belonged to one of Saddam's cousins.

The house was burned to the ground after a loud, four-hour gunbattle between the people inside and soldiers from the 101st Airborne Division.

Residents of the city, 280 miles north of Baghdad, said the American soldiers were searching for Saddam's sons, who have been reported in the area.

"Individuals of very high interest to the coalition forces were hiding out in the building," Lt. Col. William Bishop of the 101st Airborne Division (search) told Reuters.

"This morning we went to the building and surrounded it."

According to the Reuters report, U.S. soldiers were fired at by people inside the house as they approached, and the Americans called in helicopters and an unmanned vehicle for assistance before storming the house.

The United States has offered a $25 million reward for information leading to Saddam's capture, and $15 million for his sons.

Fox News military analyst Col. Bill Cowan said he hoped Saddam's sons had been captured and not killed.

"I think in this case, it'd be great to have them alive," he said.

"I think for the [Iraqi] population to see these two guys shackled, incarcerated and really given some harsh treatment … will have a most profound and long-term psychological advantage."

Cowan added that Saddam's sons might provide good intelligence on their father's whereabouts.

If you enjoyed reading about "Saddam's Sons Likely Killed in Firefight, U.S. Officials Say" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
4v50 Gary
July 22, 2003, 12:26 PM
Certainly no loss to mankind.

Go 101!

longeyes
July 22, 2003, 12:28 PM
Uh, I think I'll wait for the official confirmation on this one...

The question remains, will the killing of the Saddam brood stop
the uprisings? Or make them worse?

Schuey2002
July 22, 2003, 12:40 PM
This calls for a ....

REEEEEEEHAAAAAAW!!

:D :D

foghornl
July 22, 2003, 01:02 PM
////smarmy bad pun comment mode on

If true, that should certainly cool the "Ba'ath Party" waters.....:neener:

////smarmy bad pun comment mode off

Mike Irwin
July 22, 2003, 01:06 PM
Anyone see the History Channel special on Uday and Qusay last night?

Even if 1/4 of it is true, those were two seriously warped little AHs.

Kurt
July 22, 2003, 01:13 PM
If true....that would be a good thing. I just wish we could have somehow fetched some info out of them first.

foghornl
July 22, 2003, 01:18 PM
Kurt:

Agree that it would be good to have extracted some info. But I hardly think they would have 'ratted out' The Dad, based on what they know about torturing 'rats'.

And as Mr. Irwin pointed out, those are the 2 sickest wierdos that I have ever heard.

rock jock
July 22, 2003, 01:28 PM
Mike,

I saw that special. Those guys are/were truly sick puppies. I'm looking forward to seeing their cards retired.

BTW, I stayed up til 3:00 a.m. to watch the documentary on Bravo Two Zero. All I can say is "Wow".

El Tejon
July 22, 2003, 01:36 PM
Mosul? Really, go figure. Who would have thought that they would go there. Geez.

Who on THR kept saying something about "hanging by meathooks in Mosul?":confused:

Augustwest
July 22, 2003, 01:39 PM
Not shedding any tears over them.

But until I hear reasonable evidence that we've gotten bin Laden, I could care less what happens in our little excursion in Iraq. Be nice to see it end so that no more American kids get killed is about all I have to say.

mtnbkr
July 22, 2003, 01:50 PM
Did anyone manage to tape that show? I'd like to see it. Failing that, is it playing again? I can get a family member to tape it.

Chris

Mike Irwin
July 22, 2003, 01:57 PM
Don't know when it's going to be on again, Chris. I don't see anything in the schedule.

But WOW! :eek:

Sunday the 27th?

Starting at noon, we have 5 hours of "The Color of War" followed by 4 hours of "The Korean War: Fire and Ice"!

Damn. I'm not going to get ANYTHING done this Sunday...

grampster
July 22, 2003, 02:11 PM
If they really are DOA, suggest putting their heads on some sticks in downtown Baghdad.
:fire:

mtnbkr
July 22, 2003, 02:26 PM
Starting at noon, we have 5 hours of "The Color of War" followed by 4 hours of "The Korean War: Fire and Ice"!

Callin' Pa to set the veeseearrrrr ;)

Chris

RandyB
July 22, 2003, 03:11 PM
If they did DRT (dead right there), hope pappa jons them soon and hopefully end or at least curtail this potshots at U.S. troops.

chaim
July 22, 2003, 03:38 PM
They have just confirmed the identities moments ago during a press conference that is still going on. All news networks are carrying it live and some network stations may be (one Balt station interrupted regular programming).

chaim
July 22, 2003, 03:40 PM
A couple links to articles (not completely updated as it has only been moments since confirmation):

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=1&u=/ap/20030722/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_1015

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/07/22/sprj.irq.sons/index.html

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20030722/wl_afp/us_iraq_capture_030722155041

Two down, one to go.

toro
July 22, 2003, 03:41 PM
I have been watching the coverage on TV about Sadam's sons. When Fox news went to a commercial, I switched to CNN. Some man on that station, a commentator said, it makes no difference if they are dead or not the US army is not popular in Iraq. He said they will still be killing American men.

I just hate when CNN puts a wet blanket on great news. I can't stand to watch it anymore. They are so anti-American it is depressing. The program was Judy Woodruff.

News from Baghdad is now on -- Short Statement by Gen. Ricardo Sanchez CMDR. U.S. Officials Say Sons are dead. They have confirmed by identifying the the bodies. They will still use DNA to confirm. It is 3:39 est.

Mrs. Toro

___________________________________________-
1 John 2:15
Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

chaim
July 22, 2003, 04:00 PM
Some more recent articles:

CBS (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/02/24/iraq/main541815.shtml)

Jerusalem Post (http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/A/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1058851948321) (taken from the AP)

ABC (http://abcnews.go.com/sections/world/WorldNewsTonight/saddamsons030722.html)

Partisan Ranger
July 22, 2003, 04:06 PM
I can only hope the pains of their own deaths were nothing compared to the agonies they are experiencing at this moment.

.45Ruger
July 22, 2003, 04:11 PM
I hope these stories turn out to be true and not doubles. Now its time to go get daddy.

KMKeller
July 22, 2003, 04:12 PM
I reckon it's time for them to meet their 72 Spare-haired Virgils...

ShaiVong
July 22, 2003, 04:19 PM
Another one bites the dust. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

TheeBadOne
July 22, 2003, 04:19 PM
http://smilies.crowd9.com/contrib/navigator/usa.gif
Good job!

hansolo
July 22, 2003, 04:24 PM
There is a G_D!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS TO OUR GREAT MILITARY!

I wish we could get the Video!:evil:

winstonsmith
July 22, 2003, 04:32 PM
We should bury them with pork rinds. In Muslim tradition, that would keep them out of heaven.

alan
July 22, 2003, 04:40 PM
Couldn't happen to more deserving people. Their old man next??

RustyHammer
July 22, 2003, 04:47 PM
KER-CHING ... someone just picked up a cool $30 Million!

OF
July 22, 2003, 04:54 PM
30 Million!!?!?! How much is Saddam worth? Anyone want to go to Iraq?

:)

- Gabe

seeker_two
July 22, 2003, 04:55 PM
Uday is ead-day....:evil:

moa
July 22, 2003, 05:05 PM
How are they going to prove to Iraq and the rest of the world the two sons are dead? I doubt if they will show pictures of the corpses. But I might be wrong.

I doubt if many will just believe it without serious proof.

coldshot03/04
July 22, 2003, 05:05 PM
WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:evil:

Ian11
July 22, 2003, 05:24 PM
Hopefully, we'll get another break like this and ultimately get Saddam Hussein. Good riddance, they probably were doing a lot to coordinate guerilla attacks on our troops.

While I was watching some of the coverage on CNN they were showing some stock footage of Qusay firing guns in the desert. The obligatory AK's and they showed a close of him shooting a S&W SW99 pistol.

ACP
July 22, 2003, 05:50 PM
Great news. Now, a few observations.

1. Are we all embracing the liberal media that we all hate so much? Or only when they bring us news we like? Are we sure they are accurate and unbiased here?

2. I don't believe their capture/deaths has anything to do with the president's poll ratings. I believe it has EVERYTHING to do with the number of U.S. servicemen killed in recent weeks by guerillas/Saddam supporters.

If the populace is aware that Saddam and his sons remain alive, and a potential threat to return to power and wreak revenge when the U.S. leaves Iraq, or if Saddam & sons are paying the guerillas to kill American soldiers (which they are), then it only makes sense to, uh, "dry them up."

I hope Al-Jezeera broadcasts close-ups of their dead faces all over the Middle East. I only imagine a good outcome from their deaths. Expect a brief flame of more violence from the guerillas in the next few days or so as "payback" for the "infidels" killing Saddam's sons. Then, once the $15 million per son bounty has been paid, and word gets out, Saddam will be running faster then ever. I give him less than a month.

Hooray for the U.S. military. This is a real morale booster for the troops at a time when they really need it.

Schuey2002
July 22, 2003, 06:01 PM
Gee-dub now has " Aces in the Hole " !! :evil:

David Park
July 22, 2003, 06:06 PM
Are we all embracing the liberal media that we all hate so much? Or only when they bring us news we like? Well, for one thing, this is actual NEWS, rather than an invented issue pulled from some press release used to influence public opinion. The media feeding frenzy was to get the "scoop" or "exclusive," and the spin will come later.

As for spin, the media has always been quick to report "we think we got Saddam" (or Chemical Ali or whoever). Then, if it turns out to be false, they can crow about how our intelligence sucks, we're trying to wag the dog, we're just randomly bombing people's houses and killing civilians, even if the administration make no official announcements either way. The media always wins: if the "we got 'im" rumor is true, they were there the scoop; if it's false, the administration looks bad.

Al Jazeera is trying to spin this (it will trigger an increase in violence), but I think this is a win for Bush any way you look at it, unless we discover the DNA doesn't match.

Deadman
July 22, 2003, 06:33 PM
To take out Uday and Qusey plus two others at that residence in Mosul, the 101st used Mk19's, TOW missles and had air support from a helicopter, along with their small arms and .50cals.

Talk about peace through superior firepower. :cool:

July 22, 2003, 06:39 PM
Fox says they identified the bodies by showing the bodies members of the former govenment already in custody. And, they knew that one of them had titanium screws in his left from a previous assassination attempt. A US Government official mentioned that he was looking forward to paying out the $30 million reward money to the informant.

Brass
July 22, 2003, 06:41 PM
Oh yeees!! This is the best news I've heard for the past few days. I agree that their bodies should be lube with pig grease and then let to rotten... for the crimes they commited to their people.

Ol' Badger
July 22, 2003, 07:01 PM
Like in that Old Bogart movie Treasure of the Sierra Madre!

I wouldn't usualy cheer when a person dies, but I think this is an exception

Doing a Jig....... Now I'm Moon Walking.......

I think I'll take the day off and walk around with a smile on my face knowing that the world has two less evil b*stards in it!

Coronach
July 22, 2003, 07:46 PM
You think we're happy now? Just wait until we bag Dad.

Mike :D

Greg L
July 22, 2003, 07:58 PM
:scrutiny:

Just wait until we bag Dad

Was that intentional? If so you easily win for the worst pun of the day.

Greg

ACP
July 22, 2003, 08:05 PM
David, not to get into a media debate here, but I've seen a lot of "picking and choosing" over the years from members of various firearms forums about who and what and when they want to believe, depending on the topic, and that they're willing to write off those same sources on other topics.

BTW, I vote for "bag dad" as the BEST pun of the day. Bumper sticker, anyone?

mussi
July 22, 2003, 08:09 PM
I personally doubt that killing Saddam's sons will have any impact on the frequency of attacks against US troops.

These attacks are not controller by C3, but by a bunch of Iraqis who don't like foreign presence on their territory. And thus they'll continue to shoot Americans.

Incidently, those people do exactly what we would do if our country became occupied by UN troops, right?

Dave Markowitz
July 22, 2003, 08:25 PM
While I don't think this will have much impact on the attacks against Allied troops in Iraq, I am very glad to hear that the gene pool is now a little cleaner.

DontShootMe
July 22, 2003, 08:34 PM
is only scrubbed if the dead guys have not procreated yet. ;)

Waitone
July 22, 2003, 09:00 PM
Just saw David Hunt on FOX. He said the attack was done by Taskforce 20 (?) with the airborne providing site security. Said it was over in about 7 minutes.

Interestingly enough, Hunt said they recovered about $50 million in cash and lists of commanders, etc. of the dead enders. If true is should stop the attacks on US forces in the short run. In the long run the Iraq people will be a little more willing to help ID Sadaam's goons.

Now the question is, will the Iraqi people be content to accept a solemn pronouncement of these guys deaths. Will the be willing to accept graphic pictures or video of the bodies. Will we have to broadcast through Iranian TV since we don't have our own broadcast facilities. Will the Iraqi people only be satisfied when the bodies are pulled through the street.

Bremer will be making a huge mistake assuming Iraqis will react the same way as Americans to the deaths.

Zip06
July 22, 2003, 11:06 PM
I hope the US Military lets that Arab news outfit in to video-tape and poke and do anything they want to the bodies then put it on television. If they don't do something like that the Arab world will not believe the the Hussein boys came it second to the 101st.

Tropical Z
July 23, 2003, 01:06 AM
SCUMBAGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cuss:
I hope the :evil: is breaking em in good right now!!!!!!!

4570Rick
July 23, 2003, 02:39 AM
http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/bounce.gifhttp://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/bounce.gifhttp://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/bounce.gifhttp://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/bounce.gif

Couldn't happen to a more deserving pair.

erikm
July 23, 2003, 04:13 AM
Good riddance to bad rubbish.

It's a pity they weren't bagged alive. Army Intel would have loved to talk to these psychos at great length. They would also have made fascinating study material for psychologists and psychiatrists.

Apparently, promising someone a trip to Gitmo is a powerful threat in Iraq these days. These two would likely have learned there are much worse places to be stuck in. While the interrogators wouldn't be too brutal, at length the SOBs would probably wish they'd never been born :)

Of course, what I was hoping for was a Draka-style public impaling.

Cheers,
ErikM :evil:

Coronach
July 23, 2003, 10:41 AM
It was both intentional and accidental. I had said it once in passing accidentally, then both the person with whom I was talking and I both blinked, looked at each other and laughed.

And yeah, its a terrible pun. :D

Kharn
July 23, 2003, 10:46 AM
Uday's and Qusay's bodies were identified using dental records, one was a 100% match, the other was 90-95% (not 100% due to "dental damage", he probably took a round or some shrapnel to the face).
I especially like the idea of using $30mil from the boys' own stash to pay the informant. I wonder how much cash Papa's carrying around with him, it might just pay for the whole war. :eek:

Kharn

2dogs
July 23, 2003, 11:03 AM
And here is the view of traitorous Democratic scum.:fire:

Rangel: U.S. Acted Illegally in Killing Uday and Qusay

The U.S. acted illegally when its soldiers attacked and killed Uday and Qusay Hussein, a leading Democratic congressman complained on Tuesday, before mocking the military maneuver that succeeded in eliminating the brutal duo.

"We have a law on the books that the United States should not be assassinating anybody," Rep. Charlie Rangel, D-NY, told Fox News Channel's "Hannity & Colmes."

"We tried to assassinate Castro and we paid dearly for it," the Rangel contended. "And when you personalize the war and you say you're killing someone's kids, then they, in turn, think they can kill somebody."

When an incredulous Sean Hannity expressed dismay at Rangel's comments, the Harlem Democrat shot back, "How can you get so much satisfaction that two bums have been killed? We got bums all over the world and some in the United States."

Then Rangel mocked the U.S. military's success in killing the two Hussein heirs, saying, "I personally don't get any satisfaction that it takes 200,000 troops, 250,000 troops, to knock off two bums."

http://newsmax.com/showinsidecover.shtml?a=2003/7/22/225219

Partisan Ranger
July 23, 2003, 11:07 AM
Rangel's comments do p### me off, but look, if the Marxist left seriously wants to constantly bad mouth America, our military, and take sides with the enemy, let them. It's their funeral. I expect the GOP to pick up seats in Congress next year, and Bush will win easily.

2dogs
July 23, 2003, 11:12 AM
"We have a law on the books that the United States should not be assassinating anybody,"

Any chance that he could be technically correct (please kick me in the arse for sayin' it) since GW declared the war over? I mean if we aren't at war anymore isn't it murder to go around killing people?

Yeah it's a stupid arguement, but I'm trying to help old Charlie out here, ya know?:rolleyes:

Kharn
July 23, 2003, 11:17 AM
Its not a law prohibiting assassinations, its an executive order, IIRC. Presidents can issue another executive order overriding a previous one at will or even amend a previous EO (such as W could amend the EO to read "...except in the case of Saddam, Uday and Qusay Hussein, those guys are fair game.").

Kharn

10-Ring
July 23, 2003, 11:27 AM
The fight continues! Good job! Saddam, you're next! :fire:

JMax
July 23, 2003, 11:47 AM
Yes, great news!

JMax

Drjones
July 23, 2003, 11:56 AM
I'm waiting for our resident liberals to chime in...

alan
July 23, 2003, 12:36 PM
Partisan Ranger wrote:

Rangel's comments do p### me off, but look, if the Marxist left seriously wants to constantly bad mouth America, our military, and take sides with the enemy, let them. It's their funeral. I expect the GOP to pick up seats in Congress next year, and Bush will win easily.

Rep. Rangel is no bargain anyway you look at it, however respecting your political observations, take a good look at what is going on around you. You might then wish to modify your position, particularly respecting Bush being an "easy win". That is, in my view, not a "given". Of course, I could be wrong.

moa
July 23, 2003, 01:34 PM
If Rangel is so sure of himself, how come he is not drawing up charges of impeachment against Dubya, to be presented for a vote in the Congress and a potential trial in the Senate?

Rangel is just flapping his jaws in an effort to profit by the events.

2dogs
July 24, 2003, 09:47 AM
Investigators Seek Evidence of Saddam in Rubble Where Sons Died; Odai May Have Killed Self

B A G H D A D, Iraq, July 23— As U.S. troops and intelligence experts search the shattered Mosul villa where Saddam Hussein's sons died for signs of their father's whereabouts, ABCNEWS has learned that Odai Hussein may have committed suicide during Tuesday's intense firefight.

A military official who has seen photographs of the bodies of Saddam's sons said that Odai appears to have a self-inflicted gunshot wound in the head.

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/world/WorldNewsTonight/iraq030723_sons.html

If you enjoyed reading about "Saddam's Sons Likely Killed in Firefight, U.S. Officials Say" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!