Your Worst Mistakes

PDA

GaryK
December 11, 2007, 11:49 AM
Most of us like to tinker with guns. I suspect that some of us have had a few failures and messed up a few projects. I would be interested in hearing about them and what you had to do to correct the mistakes. I wouild even bet that some of the more experienced have messed up a time or two over the years.

If you enjoyed reading about "Your Worst Mistakes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
December 11, 2007, 12:32 PM
My biggest mistakes happened when I was about 15 years old (1959).

Deft High-Gloss wood finish was a new miracle product then.
And I thought my Winchester 47, Remington #6 rolling-block, and 1917 S&W revolver would look much better if I sanded off the factory stock finish and gave them several coats of very shiny Deft!

Those three guns were ruined of any future collector value because of my stupidity at the time.

I must have learned my lesson well, because those are the last major gunsmith mistakes I have made to this day.

(Except for several like-new 1903 & 03-A3 Springfields I sporterized back when they were selling for $30 bucks each!)

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/1224.gif
rcmodel

presspuller
December 11, 2007, 02:14 PM
I grew up on my dads Savage 87B. I learned to cuss using that rifle. When I was about 15-16 I got the wild hair to refinish the stock. Well after I sanded down to the wood I found out that there was some type of stain on it because the wood underneath had to color to it by itself and I knew I would never duplicate the finish, plus it has the black painted on fore end cap.
That was about 30 years ago and that rifle is now in my basement still not refinished.
Anybody know of a 87B out there let me know. I would like to give it to my brother since my dad died but I am ashamed of what I did to that stock.

I am a tool and die maker by trade and have done a LOT of metal work on guns but I will not touch a stock refinish to this day.

Spartacus451
December 11, 2007, 06:42 PM
Paying a gunsmith

Fumbler
December 11, 2007, 10:11 PM
Not enough release agent while bedding a rifle:banghead:
Luckily I checked that one before the epoxy set hard.

spiroxlii
December 12, 2007, 12:21 AM
Took some advice I read online and used an aerosol can of brake cleaner to get the cosmoline off of my milsurp rifles after disassembling them.

When you spray the metal parts, the cosmoline really does just fall right off like magic... then you can literally watch rust appear.

don
December 12, 2007, 12:31 AM
Attempting to bed a marlin model 60 with jb weld.

brentn
December 12, 2007, 03:20 AM
I deblued a norinco type 54, it looked pretty good before but was kind of 'green'. Bought my own blu-ing and thought I could do a great job.

MISTAKE

I'm not a professional, and I should have stopped right there when I said that to myself right before the job...

Anyways, blue came off pretty easy and rusting started as soon as it was coming off. The re-bluing went terribly wrong and looked like absolute ****.

The gun looks like crap now, and I want to pretty much just throw it away. I actually thought about bringing it to the police to have it de-registered... It only cost me about 140$ brand new so I'm not complaining but I just can't bring it to them as I know that it will be destroyed.
I've tried finding out some info on competant gunsmith's in my city to send it to, but no one knows anything about someone that does blu-ing.
http://members.shaw.ca/brent_nowell/main/Images/Collection/Norinco%20Type54.jpg

too bad...

Mr White
December 12, 2007, 03:09 PM
Brentn, I have one word for you: Duracoat. (http://www.duracoat-firearm-finishes.com/)

If you enjoyed reading about "Your Worst Mistakes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!