Help with Beretta "Colt Lightning" rifle, fires just from pumping!!

PDA

JCT
December 12, 2007, 01:21 PM
I've had my Beretta gold rush rifle, 45lc working flawlessly since day one ( 2 months ago ) . Now, out of nowhere, on a 90% basis, I have this problem:
I'll pump the action back, then forward, but the hammer follows and fires a shot!! What I've found is that if I pump it back then manually pull the hammer back a touch more, it locks in place.
For some reason, the bolt isn't engaging the hammer enough or there's an internal problem I'm not aware of.
How can I remedy this? It's awfully unsafe to have it fire just by loading the chamber!
I'll most likely disassemble it today and try to figure this out, but I have no clue what could have brought this problem on:confused:
Any help would be great!!!!:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Help with Beretta "Colt Lightning" rifle, fires just from pumping!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JCT
December 12, 2007, 02:20 PM
Well, I just took it apart and looked it over. no problems that could be seen.
Tried the action with dummy rounds and the stock off, same problem, hammer wasn't going back and locking.
Called Beretta, they want it sent to them to be checked by a gunsmith. So I assembled what was left ( the stock ) and tried again. This time I couldn't reproduce the problem!!!
I'm now thinking ( and hoping ) that since the last cleaning the stock screw was not fully tightened. It not only holds the stock on, but pulls the lower receiver frame tight into the receiver, thereby making the hammer assembly closer to the bolt.
I'll have to go test it thoroughly now. I sure hope that's a fix!

rcmodel
December 12, 2007, 02:20 PM
I think Beretta would be awfully interested in that!
I'd give them a call ASAP.

Rather then fix a two month old gun yourself, have them send you a call tag and get'r'done right.

If I was guessing, which I am, I'd say either a trigger / sear spring went bad, or more likely, since you have to finish cocking the hammer manually, one of the hammer or sear engagement surfaces went south due to improper hardening.

I'd strongly suggest sending it back for factory / importer repair, as probably some new parts are going to be needed.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/1224.gif
rcmodel

rcmodel
December 12, 2007, 02:24 PM
Well, there you go then!

A loose lower tang would certainly mess up the trigger engagement.

Test her long & hard before trusting it though.
Sounds like an accident waiting to happen if just a loose screw causes it to fire when you load it!

(A little Blue Lock-Tight might be in order if that is really all that was wrong.)

rcmodel

JCT
December 12, 2007, 09:12 PM
Well, so far so good. RCmodel, what you said made sense to me though, if this occurs again, I'd think that the sear catch/cutout, maybe misshaped or bent due to soft steel.
I did inspect the parts though and the look fine.
Tightening the screw in the stock pulls the lower tang in really tight, which is all it took for the hammer to be better engaged by the bolt.
I really hope it's set now. It's a great gun and is very fun to shoot!

JCT
December 13, 2007, 01:43 PM
No fix. Tried about 50 rounds today and still the same issue despite all screws nice and tight. Sometimes the hammer will follow the bolt back and you'll need to recock it. Other times it'll fire when the round is chambered.
I'll just have to send it to Beretta. I was hoping it wouldn't come to that. At least it's winter and I'm not shooting alot anyway. I'd imagine they'll have it for at least a few weeks.
I've never shipped a rifle before, any suggestions? Should I ship it in the original box, or is it safer in the rifle bag I bought for it? Obviously I'll be insuring it.
I hope they can fix it and send it back! I'm not against a replacement, but I was lucky to get such nice figured walnut on this one!!!!!

rcmodel
December 13, 2007, 01:54 PM
Ship it in the original box, and wrap that with plane brown package paper & plenty of padding & tape.
You don't want to advertise it's a gun, and you don't want it to fall out the end of the box when someone tosses it across the loading dock & it lands on the muzzle.

See #5 on this page for shipping instructions:
http://www.berettausa.com/customer/index.htm

I would still advise you to contact Beretta and ask for a call-tag to be issued to you.
You should not have to bare the cost of shipping & insurance on a defective two month old gun.

rcmodel

Jim K
December 13, 2007, 01:55 PM
FWIW at this point, I suspect it is the other way around. Tightening the tang screw moves the whole trigger guard up, moving the trigger up enough that it does not engage the sear notch in the hammer. Maybe a manfacturing flaw or tolerance stacking; a real fluke situation, but not unknown. IIRC, there is a disconnect but no half-cock notch, so the hammer will follow down and can fire the gun if the bolt is closed fast enough.

Jim

redneckrepairs
December 13, 2007, 02:01 PM
I wont comment since i would address manual of arms and not a physical problem .

rcmodel
December 13, 2007, 02:19 PM
:D:D:D:D

Thats a very good point!

JTC
You DO have your finger off the trigger every time you pump it, don't you?

rcmodel

JCT
December 13, 2007, 03:11 PM
Absolutely ! No finger in the trigger guard while pumping. The hammer simply isn't being pushed back far enough to lock on the sear.
I considered just buying a new hammer, but it's about $90 from VTI...
I'll just go ahead and get a call tag and ship it back to them for service. It might be worth having Beretta go through the gun and do a thorough inspection anyway.

JCT
December 13, 2007, 03:13 PM
You need to realize, for 2 months, the gun worked flawlessly. It's a great gun, dead on accurate, no jams, fit and finish are perfect. I must of just gotten the one with a bad part....

If you enjoyed reading about "Help with Beretta "Colt Lightning" rifle, fires just from pumping!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!