info on some factory ammo

PDA

JMLV
January 10, 2003, 12:54 PM
I got my xmass present last night a couple of boxes of PMC 132 grain fmc 38 special loads. (it was a gift cert to a local gun shop)
I have been seeing a lot of this type of load around recently and wondered what the spec's are on these? anybody do and penatration chrony tests on this military style ammo? Is'nt this the stuff they used to issue to the chopper pilots (and others) issued the S&W revolvers by the military?

If you enjoyed reading about "info on some factory ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
telewinz
January 10, 2003, 07:40 PM
Are you sure they don't say .38 SUPER?

Dave Markowitz
January 12, 2003, 11:58 AM
telewinz --

GI Ball .38 Special was a 130 grain FMJ, at around 800 FPS, IIRC. It's a real wimp load, but would be OK for introducing a new shooter, or plinking. I certainly wouldn't want to use it for self defense.

Dr.Rob
January 12, 2003, 05:06 PM
I bought a box of 130 gr fmj .38 specials to try out in my Colt snubby. Honestly, aside from being cheap they shoot rather high compared to magnum loads in my Colt.

Lead is another factor. Many ranges are requiring totally enclosed lead bullets, some more fmj rounds are coming into the market.

By the way:

http://www.pmcammo.com/handgun/handgun_ballistics.html

They claim the fmj load is 840 fps.

foghornl
January 13, 2003, 10:37 AM
I have shot some of these (PMC Brand) and the similar Federal "American Eagle" brand from my snubby no-name 38. Ok for cheap range/plinking load, but I would prefer NOT to use these as a personal defense round.

That being said, if this was the only weapon/ammo I could grab quickly in a tight social scene, I wouldn't be asking the BG(s) for a timeout to pick up something better. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "info on some factory ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!