Oregon, where to shoot?

PDA

Oddball
July 22, 2003, 10:04 PM
Well, I've got my M1a, and I've got my crate o' ammo, but now I need somehwere to shoot!

I've looked at some of the local ranges (tri-county, etc) but what I'm really looking for is somewhere outdoors/unsupervised.

I live in the Beaverton/Hillsboro area west of Portland, anyone know of any good places on the Westside? Maybe along HWY 26? I read through some previous posts and found the directions to the "Dump" but it's a little way's out there for me. Sounds like fun though, I might have to make a trip out there!

My handy-dandy (and somewhat dated) BLM maps show there's some National Forest land Between Vernonia and Scappose, but I haven't been up there to scout it out.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Oregon, where to shoot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Glockster35
July 23, 2003, 06:30 AM
Oddball,

I am originally from the St. Helens area, which is West of Scappoose. There are a lot of places West of St. Helens, and if you head up into the hills by Vernonia you should find something.

I don't know off hand where any are because it has been 15 years since I lived there, and 10 since I shot anything there.

Good luck and post if you find anything. Maybe we can get together when I come back to the states.

loudernhel
July 23, 2003, 07:16 AM
Oddball,

There's a rock quarry off Salmonberry road off 26 that you can shoot at. You can maybe stretch it out to a hundred yards.

Was just out there this last weekend and met a couple of nice fellows with some class 3 toys.

Regards,
David

Stickjockey
July 23, 2003, 05:23 PM
On the East Side, we've got "The Dump" just east of Damascus(?). Do a search; the directions are around here somewhere.

Lars
July 23, 2003, 06:03 PM
A group of us head out to the dump every once in awhile. I think that Carlos is there most weekends. Do a search for my name or Carlos for directions.

Lars

itgoesboom
July 24, 2003, 12:39 AM
I live out in Beaverton too, and right now, i typically head to the dump as well. I will be out there this saturday if anyone else is going to be around.

Will be bringing my SKS and my new 22/45.

I.G.B.

Bill Adair
July 24, 2003, 01:02 AM
OB,

We drive west on 26 about thirty minutes from Cedar Mill, to the first state forest sign on the right (forget the name). Follow that gravel road north for a couple miles, and there are a few spots where people shoot handguns and small bore rifles.

There may be places farther up the road where you can shoot at longer ranges, but take a target stand along, because there is nothing to attach targets to except downed trees and brush.

My son-in-law and daughter live near Cedar Mill, so we visit pretty often.

Bill

If you enjoyed reading about "Oregon, where to shoot?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!