SECTION: LOCAL; Pg. 3A

LENGTH: 305 words

HEADLINE: Flowery Branch shooter working toward Olympics

BYLINE: Rob Gittens, Staff

BODY:
By ROB GITTENS

The Times

FLOWERY BRANCH

Jodie Briggs is just an average 20-year-old going off to college ... with the exception of being an Olympic hopeful.

Briggs has been target shooting since she was in the 4-H Club, where she started with BB class shooting. Both of her older sisters also were active in shooting and were a big influence.

"I coached her in BB. Just enough to get her started, but she soon went beyond any coaching ability that I had," said her father, Joe Briggs.

Since ninth grade, she has been shooting both an air pistol, .177-caliber or pellet, and the sport pistol, or .22-caliber.

In March 2002, Jodie set a national record at the 2002 National Rifle Association Intercollegiate Pistol Championship at Tom Lowe Shooting Grounds in Atlanta.

Among her trophies and awards was a morphius circle, presented by Massachusetts Institute of Technology. It is a piece of paper twisted so that a line can be drawn on both sides without ever lifting the pen. The paper is rough on one side and smooth on the other.

Joe explained MIT's philosophy behind the award, "The road of a champion never ends and it has it's rough and smooth spots."

Jodie is competing in the Olympic trials this fall. Winning a spot on the team is not one of her goals. But if she were to make it, she wouldn't turn it down.

"I would be looking more towards 2008. Because of being in school, right now I don't really have the chance to train for it like I really need to," she said.

Jodie Briggs

Age, hometown: 20, Flowery Branch.

Tools: Shoots both .177- caliber and .22-caliber pistols in competition.

Training: Will attend Clemson University in the fall and train with its rifle team.

Future: Plans to study nutrition and pursue a career in pediatric nutrition. Coaching target shooting is also a possibility.

If you enjoyed reading about "(GA) Flowery Branch shooter working toward Olympics" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
If you enjoyed reading about "(GA) Flowery Branch shooter working toward Olympics" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!