Win. Mdl 70 Sporter Varmint .243

PDA

Grandpa Shooter
December 14, 2007, 08:48 PM
With all the reading I've done on this forum I don't remember coming across any discussion of the rifle or caliber listed above. My shooting buddy wants me to mount a scope for him on one he bought about 10 years ago. It's been a closet queen ever since.

What do I need to know about this particular firearm before I mount the scope and take it out to shoot it. Keep in mind we are running around 32 degrees right now. Better to wait til warmer weather or will a good zero hold?

If you enjoyed reading about "Win. Mdl 70 Sporter Varmint .243" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Shawnee
December 14, 2007, 08:59 PM
Hi GS...

Barring any abuse in the past, your amigo should have an excellent rifle there. Will he be reloading the ammo for it ? If so, I'll suggest the Hornady 87gr. BTHP over 42.5 grs. of IMR#4350. It's magic.
If he isn't going to reload, I'll suggest starting with the 85gr. Hornady "Interbond" ammo.

:cool:

Oohrah
December 14, 2007, 09:15 PM
It's tapped and drilled for top mounts. You don't mention what scope,
so mount it low, but high enough for the front objective lens to clear.
Bore sight it after mounting and wait for a good range day. Fire a three
round group and adjust for the trajectory (bullet weight/distance where
it stays within a short distance between muzzle and point of impact.
Test it at that distance and should be good to go ! You don't say if it
is a pre 64 or not. Will not make a difference in how it will shoots, only
in Value. Anything Winchester continues to climb in value. Make sure with
your mount screws that you use a lock tight that is removeable and all
screws are firmly tight. Zero will not change as long as the stock bedding
is correct and guard screws also are tight.

Win75
December 14, 2007, 10:58 PM
This is something I posted over on the HuntChat Forum yesterday about the Winchester 70 Sporter Varmint 243.

"About 15 years ago I had a Winchester Model 70 Sporter Varmint in 243 Win. I had to sell it to pay lawyers fee's in the big "D".

I finally found another and managed to purchase it before someone else got to it. Not cheap but about the going price for these in todays market.

I took it for a quick run at the range but the fog was so bad that I could only shoot at 25 yards. Oh well, that would tell me if anything bad was wrong with the rifle.

Three shots, makeshift front rest, no bags for the rear, 80 gr. Winchester Powerpoint factory ammo into one hole at 25.

I think this one will shoot and I am happy!!!"

The Win 70 Sporter Varmints were made in 1985 and 86. Maybe 87 too but I don't think so. They were chambered in 223, 22-250, 243, and 308. The barrel is a 26" semi-heavy barrel. There were a few made with a 24" barrel in a smaller diameter. I now have one of each 24" and 26" in the 243 caliber.

Serial numbers on these rifles are in the G180xxxx to G19xxxxx range as far as I can tell.

Both are great shooters.

There is no reason not to mount a scope and go shoot the rifle. I often shoot in below freezing weather because not many people venture out to the range in that weather.

David.

If you enjoyed reading about "Win. Mdl 70 Sporter Varmint .243" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!