gossip from accuracy international

PDA

woodybrighton
December 16, 2007, 06:25 AM
My brothers friend works in the factory's sales department.
its extra tea and biscuits time at the moment as they have just won the new order for the british army's sniper rifle. Unfortunately nobody in the mod has a clue what a sniper rifle is for and what they actually want:uhoh:
but they are regularly entertained by his words "deranged American gun nuts who phone up wanting to buy rifles"
They don't do retail sales from the factory and don't really make rifles they make weapon systems for the same price as an AI you could get a quality target rifle or a quality hunting rifle its not there market
anyway this bloke phones up going I want to buy one of those rifles I've just seen on the discovery channel.
he goes into his practiced spiel we don't do retail sales we only deal with governments and agency's and that weapons system isn't available to civilians.
Customer not put off by this whats your minimum order.
We don't really deal with orders for less than 20 rifles and that would be $5000000 thinking the guy will ring off now
not a bit of it do you want credit card or a bank transfer !
end of the story man's getting his rifles ands apparently going to give the spares to his friends :D

If you enjoyed reading about "gossip from accuracy international" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PercyShelley
December 16, 2007, 06:33 AM
Well, that's certainly noteworthy.

The rich and eccentric get to have all the fun. It's not fair to the rich and unimaginative really.

atblis
December 16, 2007, 09:07 AM
$250,000 a piece. That's pretty steep.

kir_kenix
December 16, 2007, 09:30 AM
im thinking he left out a decimal somewhere...

woodybrighton
December 16, 2007, 10:23 AM
sorry ment $500000 $25000 a piece slightly more reasonable :D

Snarlingiron
December 16, 2007, 10:37 AM
Gosh this is very interesting. The United States Distributor for Accuacy International rifles is Tac Pro Shooting Center (http://www.tacproshootingcenter.com/AccuracyInternational.html) in Mingus Texas.

Bartholomew Roberts
December 16, 2007, 11:19 AM
Yes, seems like a fairly strange story to me since you can buy almost everything in the AI line from Tac-Pro Shooting Center without having to pay $25,000 per rifle or finding an Importer who deals in firearms to bring the stuff into the country for you. Also seems odd that someone who worked at AI and dealt with these phonecalls wouldn't know who their U.S. distributor is or would be inclined to cut that distributor out of the loop based on a single phone call from a random guy who wants to buy some rifles.

Just looking at the Tac-Pro Shooting Center price list, the most expensive AI rifle they offer (the AW50 AI .50BMG rifle) is $13,000 with case, rifle, mount and bipod. That is at retail pricing too. Sounds to me like your friend is pulling your leg.

atblis
December 16, 2007, 11:29 AM
I too am in doubt about this story. However, maybe they just made up a number to mess with the guy, and he actually paid it (doubt it though).

GunTech
December 16, 2007, 01:04 PM
He didn't specify which rifle. If it's the new semi 50 BMG (AS50), I'd bet $25,000 isn't far off, given the pound vs the dollar right now.

http://www.military.com/soldiertech/0,14632,Soldiertech_AS50,,00.html

hksw
December 16, 2007, 01:28 PM
end of the story man's getting his rifles ands apparently going to give the spares to his friends

Where do I sign up to be one of his friends?

Bartholomew Roberts
December 16, 2007, 01:35 PM
He didn't specify which rifle. If it's the new semi 50 BMG (AS50), I'd bet $25,000 isn't far off, given the pound vs the dollar right now.

That rifle isn't available in the United States right now. I remember discussing it with the distributor as he was getting innundated with calls about the rifle himself. I'd be shocked if the U.S. distributor for AI can't get a particular rifle; but some guy with a credit card can.

Avenger29
December 16, 2007, 01:55 PM
Hey, to those more familar with Accuracy International rifles, I'm wondering if the AI was a new design or based off of say, an Enfield action or something?

I'd like to own one someday...

bl4ckd0g
December 16, 2007, 03:29 PM
Perhaps he had to sign a distributor agreement if he was going to make a non-governmental purchase. Also, it's not like he can't resell them.

Agreed the cost seems to be a decimal place or two away from the realistic unit sale cost.

GunTech
December 16, 2007, 05:46 PM
AI rifles are pretty much a new design in the sense it was a clean sheet of paper design by IIRC Malcolm Cooper, a British competitive shooter.

But any turn bolt rifle is bound to be influenced by earlier designs.

Bartholomew Roberts
December 16, 2007, 06:03 PM
Perhaps he had to sign a distributor agreement if he was going to make a non-governmental purchase. Also, it's not like he can't resell them.

Well, if he isn't an FFL then he can't resell them - and he needs an FFL/importer to import them as well. So it isn't like I can just call up AI and order the rifles direct.

Second, if you go to the Accuracy International website (http://www.accuracyinternational.com/), they have exactly one link on the home page. That link is titled "How to Purchase an Accuracy International Rifle."

When you click on that link, it gives you three options: Military, Law Enforcement, Retail. If you click military, it gives you an email contact to AI. If you click either Law Enforcement or Retail, you see there are exactly three distributors of AI rifles worldwide: Tac-Pro Shooting Center in the United States, Wolverine Supplies in Canada, and Accuracy International for England and the remainder of the world.

When you have exactly two other distributors of your rifle worldwide, it seems to me that adding a new distributor or bypassing an existing one on a $500k retail order is not the type of deal that would be done lightly over the phone.

If you enjoyed reading about "gossip from accuracy international" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!