Pocket holster for j frame?

PDA

Glamdring
July 23, 2003, 12:34 PM
I have seen pocket holsters for J frames that all but fill front pocket, but I don't recall what brand they were. Can someone help me out?

If you enjoyed reading about "Pocket holster for j frame?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CZ 75 BD
July 23, 2003, 12:38 PM
WWW.gun-holsters.com John O'Rourke is a great guy and I have enjoyed buying and using his products:D

Zip06
July 23, 2003, 12:41 PM
Glamdring - I have a J Frame and I have pocket holsters. The one that fills the front pocket the most is the Galco. Its awkward for me. Another filling holster is the one from Ted Blocker, also awkward for me. The one I use almost exclusively is the pocket holster from Kramer. Fits just right; is quick and is of higher quality than the other two.

Using a Pocket holster for my Glock 26; all of the pocket holsters fill the pocket.

I am 5'9"/180 pounds. Your height/weight may alter the characteristics of the holster and carry.

DDGator
July 23, 2003, 02:20 PM
Glamdring,

There are LOTS of pocket holster makers out there. My holsters are at www.kdholsters.com.

But, in the interest of fairness and not being overly commercial, you can also find nice holsters from:

Kramer Leather
R.J. Hedley Holsters
Ron Graham Custom Leather
High Noon Holsters
Galco
Don Hume

and a lot more I can't think of right off the top of my head.

Elkslayer
July 23, 2003, 02:27 PM
I purchased a Andrews Pocket Holster for my J-frame and it fits great in a pair of Dockers. Yeah, kinda does fill up the pocket to the point you could not fish around and find change of car keys in it but it doesn't "stuff" the pocket to make it bulge. And besides, I don't carry anything else in the pocket I have my CCW in.

Check out Andrews leather at: http://www.andrewsleather.com/

edited to correct my lousy spelling!

Kentucky Rifle
July 23, 2003, 03:32 PM
Great holsters, extremely fast shipping, super prices, and a great guy with whom to deal.

KR

Johnny Guest
July 23, 2003, 05:01 PM
The little Uncle Mike's size 1 is good--I believe it was made primarily for the .25 and mini-.32 autos, but it also carries the S&W J-frame and Colt D-frame snubs, holding only the barrel, cylinder and front of the frame. Leaves the trigger guard exposed but holds the piece in pisition nicely.

I like the DeSantis version of the same holster even better - - - Has slightly more "body."

Best,
Johnny

MJRW
July 23, 2003, 05:09 PM
Errr...Isn't half the point of a pocket holster to cover the trigger guard?

DDGator
July 23, 2003, 05:11 PM
If you want an Uncle Mikes type synthetic holster, they make a larger size the acommodates a j-frame better than the No. 1. Or you can get the IWB holster and easily trim off the clip. I personally wouldnt use any kind of holster than doesnt cover the trigger.

July 23, 2003, 05:15 PM
I gotta Kramer in my pocket right now, but I carry it in the back pocket. Seems like a real nice rig. I never used another one to compare it to.

22luvr
July 23, 2003, 05:39 PM
I tote my J-frame in an Uncle Mike's size 3 soft, flexible fabric holster. It does not fill up the pocket and it covers the trigger guard while slanting down to expose the grip for a quick draw. Cheap and affordable until I can find something better.

rhedley
July 23, 2003, 07:10 PM
This side to the leg...

http://www.fototime.com/2F2D90EC826A74F/standard.jpg

And this side is to the out side, flat print..

http://www.fototime.com/E02BBDD92011314/standard.jpg

tbeb
July 24, 2003, 12:42 AM
I can recommend a Mika pocket holster. Robert Mika is a retired LEO. He knows what works. I bought a holster from him, and cost plus shipping (Wisconsin to Indiana) was only $15. You won't be disappointed. Holster covers trigger and hammer. Web site is www.frontiernet.net/~akim

Glamdring
July 24, 2003, 06:20 AM
Look like it was the Galco I was thinking of, thanks.

RUT
July 24, 2003, 09:32 AM
>>Robert Mika is a retired LEO<<

Judging by his picture, it's hard to imagine he was old enough to be an LAPD officer 30 years ago!!!

July 24, 2003, 07:11 PM
That is the beauty of working for the government. If he got hired when he was 20, he could have retired when he was 50.

I plan on retiring from the fire department at age 51 or 52. We have guys that had to get excused from high school to take the test to get on.

Serpico
July 24, 2003, 07:32 PM
I've used the 7 dollar uncle mike's clip holster....it works as an IWB, can fit nicely in the front pocket, and can even clip inside the rear pocket, making the grip very accessible....may of my friends use the Mika rig for their back-up gun and it does work well....it is nicely padded if you sit on it, the weapon comes out easily and it's not too stiff....

SAWBONES
July 24, 2003, 08:27 PM
Lots of pocket holsters are available from lots of different folks.

Leather lasts longer than synthetics, but the synthetics are definitely softer, both in the way they feel, and in the type of "print" they make on the outside of the pocket.

I've had quite a few of the synthetics (including for J-frames), including Mika's, DeSantis, Uncle Mike's and Action-Direct, and leather examples from Lou Alessi and Ken Null.

While I prefer leather for IWB and OWB holsters, I find that with daily pocket carry of a J-frame either as a BUG, or during the dog days as a primary CCW, that a synthetic holster is more comfortable, more concealable (less of an obvious "lump" in the pocket), and even easier to draw from, than a leather pocket holster.

The DeSantis and Action-Direct examples fill most typical "Dockers"-style front pockets fully at the bottom, so that the pistol remains upright and stable within the pocket, and those two are my favorites of the ones I've tried. The Uncle Mike's is the worst of the lot, in my experience.

They're inexpensive, so I have several of the DeSantis and Action-Direct, and when one finally wears out, I toss it out and open a new one.

Best.

jungleman
July 24, 2003, 11:20 PM
Hedley holsters

JDSlack
July 25, 2003, 12:15 AM
This outfit makes a very nice pocket holster at a reasonable price. I've had one for my J-Frame for several years.

http://www.action-direct.com/64.htm

10-Ring
July 25, 2003, 01:35 AM
I've got a DeSantis and a Galco. Both have served me well.

Glamdring
August 13, 2003, 08:55 AM
Well so far I have bought and tried Desantis Nemesis and Galco holster.

The Nemesis doesn't hold the gun inside the holster at all (it isn't tight enough to retain it at all) and doesn't provide any real masking. Other than that it would be good.

The Galco is a big disappointment. Was $53.00 with shipping. Looks good but it CREAKS, and it doesn't hold the gun in a good position to draw. And again doesn't mask the gun well.

So I am going to get an Uncle Mikes and a Pocket Natural from Jerry Ahern. Have a Pocket Natural for my P11 and a UM for my P32.

RUT
August 13, 2003, 01:54 PM
>>I can recommend a Mika pocket holster<<

Does anyone know what this water resistant "material" is that he uses?

rhedley
August 13, 2003, 01:57 PM
are made from an upholstering material, maybe "Nygahyde" [spelling ??]

RUT
August 13, 2003, 02:00 PM
>>This outfit makes a very nice pocket holster at a reasonable price. I've had one for my J-Frame for several years.<<

Jim, is yours the leather or the synthetic model?

Thanks--RUT

FunYet
August 13, 2003, 05:00 PM
I have a Kramer pocket holster that fits my J-Frames very well. I also just got a Safariland pocket holster (I think it's stamped model 25) that's pretty nice. It's very thin, Kydex on the inside and something with a suede-like texture on the outside. Not as snug-fitting as the Kramer. The J slides in and out easily.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pocket holster for j frame?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!