Need to get an old camillus knive back into shape

PDA

AL9426
December 17, 2007, 01:22 AM
Hey Guys,

My grandfather have me an old camillus knive with an ivory handle. But I've got a few things i need to fix. There is some stuff kind of caked on the blade and the handle needs to be polished a little bit.

What can I use to do this, I really have no idea because i am pretty new to knives.

Thanks,

AL9426

If you enjoyed reading about "Need to get an old camillus knive back into shape" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
eden892
December 17, 2007, 10:58 AM
I have used flitz with very good results. Flitz is non abrasive cleaner so it won't scratch surfaces.

rcmodel
December 17, 2007, 12:42 PM
Flitz or Semi-Chrome polish and a lot of elbow grease.

If the "stuff caked on the blade" is rust scale you have a bigger problem however. It needs to be removed without ruining the patina under it.

The best way to do that is with a very fine steel wire wheel on a bench grinder or buffer motor. If you go that route, be very careful, wear leather gloves, and be very careful!
A buffler can grab the blade and fling it clear across the shop!
Did I mention, Be Very Careful?

Do Not try to clean the ivory handle with the wire brush as it will ruin it.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/1224.gif
rcmodel

If you enjoyed reading about "Need to get an old camillus knive back into shape" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!