30-30 Win "throat" size problem?

PDA

johnfrost
December 18, 2007, 01:34 PM
Recently reloaded about 40 rounds of 30-30 rem cases which had only been fired once.
The Speer Manual spec for throat size is .3301.
My reloads are at .331.
when Loading a round by hand the round needs a very slight push with my finger to seat in the chamber.
When loaded mechanically (ie from the tube of the model 94) you really don't notice a problem.
I have not fired them yet.
When I use the lever action to extract the loaded cartridge I also do not feel a problem exists as the come out just fine.

Am I worrying this too much or should I pull the bullets, resize and reload to get rid of that slight "hump" at the crimp?

Or should I just test fire a few and see how they perform?

Some day I hope to know enough to offer someone else advice!

If you enjoyed reading about "30-30 Win "throat" size problem?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
December 18, 2007, 01:43 PM
Sounds like you just over-crimped them.
It won't hurt a thing to shoot them if they will chamber without getting stuck.

Oftentimes, that will result in a slightly collapsed shoulder that is very hard to see, but will result in a round stuck in the chamber you can't get out without a cleaning rod.

You can take one of the offending rounds and smoke the case neck & shoulder with candle soot.

Just don't get it too hot doing it!

Then, carefully run it through the gun and clearly see what is dragging where.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/1224.gif
rcmodel

Bad Flynch
December 18, 2007, 03:05 PM
>The Speer Manual spec for throat size is .3301.
My reloads are at .331.<

That's not the throat, that is the case neck.

>Sounds like you just over-crimped them.
It won't hurt a thing to shoot them if they will chamber without getting stuck.
<

Sure enough, that is likely it.

Your crimps need only just barely close on the cannelure of the bullet. When I crimp mine, I typically just barely get the inside of the case mouth to touch the knurling of the cannelure. I do not know what brand of dies that you use, but a Lee Factory Crimp die would do wonders here and other brands will probably do just fine (but with more careful adjustment).

The Bushmaster
December 18, 2007, 05:44 PM
JohnFrost...You need a Lee Factory Crimp Die (FCD). Only cost about $8.00 and will solve your problem...

Walkalong
December 18, 2007, 08:38 PM
As much as I fuss about Lee FCD dies in pistol calibers, I will agree with The Bushmaster here and say it could solve your problem because case length is not as critical with them in rifle dies and it crimps different than the pistol ones.

It does sound as if you over crimped a bit, and a slight adjustment could solve your problem as well.

Coltdriver
December 18, 2007, 08:47 PM
And just to add another angle you are certain that your COL is not the problem and that you are not pushing the bullet onto the lands??

I too am still an amature re loader and I am still learning but I found out that chamber dimensions as they relate to your particular bullet are real important. Not all chambers are cut to the theoretical specification.

A sharpie majic marker will do the same job as smoking the brass with a candle. You can also mark the bullet and see if it is getting pushed into the lands.

johnfrost
December 18, 2007, 11:24 PM
To RC and Coltdriver; will try the marking of the rounds to see if and where they are hanging up.

To Bushmaster and Walkalong I'll look at the Lee Factory Crimp dies. Didn't know there was such a thing. I have all RCBS reloading dies and equipment.

Probably the Lee FCD would fit my press.

Guess I got a little agressive with the crimp as you all suggest. Don't know why I did so, as I've reloaded 30-30 before and I've only had one round where the bullet eventually (after numerous times of loading and unloading the rifle) seated a little further down than the cannelure. Guess I thought I was "improving" my work!

Thanks again for the quick and informative responses.

The Bushmaster
December 19, 2007, 09:59 AM
I loaded .30-30 with Lee dies for several years and every once in a while (more often then I wished) I would have a bulged case right at the shoulder. Even when I tried to not be too agressive. These rounds will be loaded in a tubular magazine and need an agressive (firm) crimp. The Lee FCD gives you this without pushing down on the bullet as it crimps. And yes...It will fit your RCBS (7/8-14 thread). When using the FCD make sure that you keep the case length tolerence within +/- .002" and you will be O K...If I pay attention to what I'm doing my RCBS Case Trimmer 2 keeps me within +/- .001"

Encoreman
December 19, 2007, 06:26 PM
John, You are telling on yourself about repeated loading and unloading. I almost wore out a box of 30-30's one deer season from loading and unloading. It shows you're not getting enough shooting. Ha! You need to watch the bullet seating farther in the brass as it can make the pressure rise to more that acceptable. Merry Christmas and may you shoot a big buck with your handloads. Mac

If you enjoyed reading about "30-30 Win "throat" size problem?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!