Draw Point using the Tactical Tether

PDA

mercop
December 18, 2007, 11:55 PM
The only experience I have with the Draw Point method as conceived and popluarized by James Keating is what I have been shown by my friend Mike Sastre from River City Sheaths. In the past I had spent little time at all trying it out.

Last week I took receipt of two fine sheaths from Mike for my Spyderco Lum. Mike had taken the liberty of setting one up for Draw Point utilizing a clip on the sheath. I toyed with that for a while before again realizing that I hate to have a sheath attached to my belt IWB or out. So I took the clip off and attached one of my Tactical Tethers. At first to the bottom rivets, although this seems to bee the best place to attach the TT for the Static 67 crossdraw positon I found that the best place for mounting the TT for Draw Point is the middle rivet on the back side as you can see in the following pictures.

In keeping with the MCS doctrine of tools for dealing with people problems being worn between pocket seams to the front, that is where the pictured Polkowski Polecat was positioned. The rubber keepers on the TT provide friction keeping the correct angle and depth on the sheath.

Since spending about a week working with the drawpoint I have come to the conclusion that it is beyond doubt the fastest way to bring a fixed blade knife into play. The DP falls right in line with the 1st part of the MCS Folder Draw. The reverse grip brings steel to any part of your attacker that crosses it's path while enroute to a stab.

Using the TT allows the sheath to move with the body and is easily repositioned for maximum comfort even while worn. As you draw the sheath is left hanging outside of the pants. The allows you to more safely resheath even under and andrenaline dump instead of slicing you fingers or worse.

If you happen to have the occasion to enter a nonpermissive area you can leave the knife and drop the sheath inside your pants.

Back to the DP, while I would of course prefer to draw into the Saber Grip which is most comfortable for me, I believe that when not carrying a firearm and fixed blade being my primary deadly force option the DP is going to be the choice for me. I look very forward to training with James Keating in the future. Seems that we make share some thoughts.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j22/mercop/17dec009.jpg?t=1198016638

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j22/mercop/17dec010.jpg?t=1198017822

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j22/mercop/17dec011.jpg?t=1198018091

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j22/mercop/17dec012.jpg?t=1198018202

If you enjoyed reading about "Draw Point using the Tactical Tether" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
alwilliam
December 19, 2007, 12:33 AM
Well Over 10 years ago a old pal of mine... James Piorek (aka Bladerigger) turned me on to his “Static Cord" device..I have used it many times in many ways over the years. I have always found it to work excellent.

mercop
December 19, 2007, 12:40 AM
I agree there is nothing new, only discovered.

Mandirigma
December 19, 2007, 06:45 AM
One thing I'm sure you've figured out, but others not familiar with the static cord draw may miss is that with this draw you can continue your motion and get a strike in as well. Its one of the fastest ways I've seen to get a knife into action.

It also allows some flexibility on your draw. For a while the group I trained with drilled and practiced locking each other as we went to draw our knives from our rigs. I noticed then that with the sheaths on the static cord, you could wiggle (best word I can think of at 4 in the morning) your shoulder/elbow/wrist enough to get the blade drawn. With the sheaths that were stuck into position it was easier to lock out the draw because you could only draw the blade in a certain direction.

Double Naught Spy
December 19, 2007, 08:10 AM
So the static chord serves the purpose of retaining an improperly mounted sheath that might otherwise not allow the knife to be drawn clear of the sheath?

What am I missing?

hso
December 19, 2007, 08:16 AM
I agree with Mandirigma, the completion of the draw stroke in the direction of the target using a lanyard on a sheath is very beneficial. It also allows for very deep carry of the sheath IWB.

Variations on this have been around for a long time. New to some, but familiar to others (I carry like this at times).

DoubleNaughtSpy,

You're not missing anything. I've got sheaths that are specifically set up for this when I want to carry with minimum knife showing.

Pax Jordana
December 19, 2007, 10:53 AM
(goofy comment removed.)

So that thing really doesn't move much, with the rubber footies and all? That would be my only concern.

Skofnung
December 19, 2007, 08:38 PM
I just tried it with a Cold Steel Culloden and it works great even with the crappy tight sheath.

I too prefer the saber grip most of the time, but for sheer speed into action this is tough to beat. I'll need to do more drills with reverse grip.

Thanks Mercop.

Mandirigma
December 20, 2007, 06:04 AM
So that thing really doesn't move much, with the rubber footies and all? That would be my only concern.

I can only comment on the basic static cord version of it. It moves around a little, usually dependent on how much you are moving. I find that with a belt i can go about entire day, off days and work days, with the knife in the same position. If you take off a flat out sprint you may well find that your knife is hanging from the static cord inside your pants.

Also its best if you rig this to a belt. Don't try it with just the belt loops of your pants. I did it with a pair of new jeans and ripped the loop right off the pant top.

If you enjoyed reading about "Draw Point using the Tactical Tether" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!