My Dad gave me a gun

PDA

jims98z28
July 23, 2003, 09:37 PM
So my Dad is totally into the western style guns. He has at least 10, most of which he rarely shoots, but he want to get back into it. So he goes out and buys a new Ruger (not sure what kind, but its a .44-40) and offers to give me one of his old ones. Now I'm not into the western style guns AT ALL, but how can you turn down a free gun? So I take it. Its a Ruger New Style Single Six .32 H&R mag. I even got some ammo and 2 holsters :cool:

Heres a pic
http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/152000-152999/152215_86_full.jpg

And one with my other Ruger
http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/152000-152999/152215_85_full.jpg

I must admit, its a pretty nice gun, damn near mint. I'll take it to the range Saturday and see how it shoots.
I'm wondering, whats a gun like this worth? I'd never sell it, but I would like to know. According to the serial number, it was made in 1985. No box or papers, anyone have a clue to its value?

If you enjoyed reading about "My Dad gave me a gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DigMe
July 23, 2003, 09:39 PM
That's sweet and it looks like a fun gun. I'd love to have a western style revolver!

brad cook

Standing Wolf
July 23, 2003, 10:31 PM
I wish my father had given me his gun, a World War II souvenir Walther, but he turned into a soft-headed leftist in his old age, and dropped it into Lake Huron. On the proverbial "bright side," he left me enough money to treat myself to a gun or two.

El Tejon
July 23, 2003, 10:35 PM
Standing, maybe the walleye needed a pistol?:D

Nice pistol. Your old man is O.K. with us!

DigMe
July 24, 2003, 12:31 AM
Standing Wolf,

My granddad had an old German Luger and a 1911. When he left the military he kept the Luger but like the honest man that he is he turned in his 1911 (unlike many :( ).

However, one day my dad's younger brother got a hold of the Luger and was waving it around. My granddad saw this, freaked out and immediately got rid of it. He now wishes he'd acted a little more calmly and kept it in a safer place but I guess seeing your kid about to blow your other kid's head off might make someone react excessively.

brad cook

jims98z28
July 24, 2003, 12:32 AM
Yeah, my dads a cool guy. I tried to get him to give me his WWII era Colt 1911, but he wont give that up for anything.

Majic
July 24, 2003, 12:38 AM
It will probably value at $300 in mint condition. Being in .32H&R may slow the sale of it if you do decide to sell it. But it's a very fine sturdy revolver.

July 24, 2003, 12:44 AM
I would really like to have one of those. I don't think they make that anymore. I decided to buy a Single Six in .32 H&R Mag and it looks to me like they only make one with fixed sights.

jims98z28
July 24, 2003, 01:04 AM
Thanks for the reply. I will NEVER sell the gun. I was just wondering its value.

My Dad said they don't make them anymore, but they list them all the way up to 2003 on Rugers site. So I don't know what the deal is

July 24, 2003, 01:14 AM
I believe they still make the gun itself, but all the ones I see have fixed sights.

10-Ring
July 24, 2003, 02:01 AM
Your dad's pretty cool & the gun looks like it would be fun to learn how to shoot ;)

Jim March
July 24, 2003, 06:51 AM
Right, here's the deal.

That's a first-run Single Six in 32H&RMag.

It's built on the same size frame as Ruger's 22s, so it's a compact, fast-handling package. But with good ammo, it'll give 38+P a run for it's money...maybe a LITTLE down on combat effectiveness, but not much. A number of people who are into SA revolvers carry that gun or the newer fixed-sight variant for CCW purposes(!).

The 32Mag caliber is a stretched version of the old 32S&W and 32S&WLong. Both of those older cartridges will fit and fire properly. You sometimes find 'em cheap at gun shows, loaded up for "Cowboy action shooting". And weirdly enough, they'll also shoot 32ACP ammo just fine, although accuracy may suffer a little bit due to the crazy-short shell of the ACP. Your gun can eat all four of these calibers safely with the cylinder you've got in it right now.

Your gun with the adjustable sights is no longer made. Ruger does make 32Mag Single Sixes with fixed sights, also known informally as the "mini Vaqueros" as that's what they look like. Your gun is parts-compatible with those newer 32Mag Single Sixes, except that if you need sights, you can take any sight setup that'll work on a 22cal Single Six "New Model" with screw-adjustable sights. So parts are no problem at all, and never will be.

Even though it looks "old school", it has a modern transfer bar internal safety, and is perfectly safe to carry "fully loaded", six-up. Just as safe as any modern DA revolver.

It is moderately rare. In perfect condition, your gun might be worth as much as $450 or so. It is a VERY practical little puppy, the species is known for excellent accuracy and the handling characteristics of the smaller frame are superb.

Georgia Arms has some of the best 32Mag combat JHPs out there, and also stock practice fodder in 32Mag and the lesser 32S&W/Long calibers. Recoil with the "Magnums" will still be modest; with the 32ACP/S&W/Longs, it'll be extremely mild.

http://www.georgia-arms.com/

There are huge amounts of upgrade parts and tweaks available for that gun. You can swap the grip frame to any of at least half a dozen types, there's different sights, a lot of people run a Belt Mountain replacement base pin to tighten the action and improve accuracy ($21), just scads more. We have a thread going outlining such parts/tricks/sources/home-brew mods :):

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80872

It started on TFL, continues here on THR when you get to the end of that. Understand, it's just fine in stock form, but Ruger SAs are like AR-15s, there's no END of potential upgrades/tweaks and they're easy for a reasonably sane home wrench to do.

What else...one known "weakness": if you shoot a lot of hot 32Mag out of it, you'll get a little bit of flame-cut erosion at the forward underside of the topstrap from the barrel/cylinder gap flame. It will stop after a little while, LONG before affecting anything structural. It's a minor cosmetic issue only - the flame heat-hardens the steel after a while, and the erosion stops. It won't be noticable except under fairly close inspection. If you want to avoid it anyways, shoot mostly milder fodder.

Hope this helps :).

only1asterisk
July 24, 2003, 07:16 AM
The did stop making them for a long time, and just recently started back a couple of years ago. The current production models are fixed sight only, (H. Bowen does a cool S&W sight install that fixes that, but be prepared to pay) Handloaded the 32 Mag is a hell of a cartridge. Nice gun, my dad has never given me a gun.

David

jims98z28
July 24, 2003, 12:24 PM
How, thanks for all the info Jim.

If you enjoyed reading about "My Dad gave me a gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!