Anyone chopped their ar15 FSB?

PDA

Soybomb
December 19, 2007, 06:33 PM
On my new build I'm thinking about chopping the top off a fixed FSB to slide it under floating rails. Anyone tried this or had any problems with it? It seems like it'll be about $50 cheaper than buying a micro gas block and should be at least as secure if not more secure than set screws on a gas block. I figure there has to be a reason why more people don't do it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone chopped their ar15 FSB?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bofe954
December 19, 2007, 06:54 PM
Haven't done it, but there are instructions with photos that I have looked at on AR15.com, so I don't think there are any major reasons not to do it.

My guess is that the manufactured ones look a little better than the homebrews and have a better finish, but it would depend on who was doing the grinding/finishing.

Outlaws
December 19, 2007, 06:56 PM
http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

Soybomb
December 19, 2007, 06:58 PM
Yup those are the directions but I just don't see people talk about it much. It seems like it should be a good option especially if it will be hidden by a rail system.

Outlaws
December 19, 2007, 07:09 PM
Most people are not craftsmen and would just assume spend money.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone chopped their ar15 FSB?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!