What barrel for my stevens 200 project.

PDA

R.W.Dale
December 19, 2007, 07:26 PM
I'm setting out onto uncharted seas in that I plan on using one of the $250 Stevens 200's as the basis for a custom buildup where the main goal is punching little holes in paper as closely together as possible 300m away. At this time I plan on going with the 260rem chambering.

Several manufacturers offer threaded and fully chambered barrels for the savage 110 series of rifles and many are in the same price range. So based on your experience what do you recommend

If you enjoyed reading about "What barrel for my stevens 200 project." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BsChoy
December 19, 2007, 08:07 PM
I would say Shilen off your list....alot of Savage owners like Pac Nor too...

Jim Watson
December 19, 2007, 08:15 PM
I have a good Pac-Nor on my .308.

SSS uses Douglas, which is still a good barrel even though you hear of newer, sexier brands more now.

I consider Shaw a hunting barrel maker, not target.

brian923
December 19, 2007, 08:22 PM
i say that sss and shilan are the top two. doglas makes an excelent barrel, and 260 is an aawsome round. you will be happy.

R.W.Dale
December 19, 2007, 10:02 PM
The Shillen does have the added benefit of being stainless and avalible through midwayUSA.com

brian923
December 19, 2007, 10:33 PM
the only thing i dont like about the shilans, at least last time i looked at them at midwayusa, was that you could only get the factory contures. i like a litttle more meat on my rifles. but thats the only thing i didnt like. i mean, i know that i can order one to my liking, but that cost a lot more, and i am a budget builder.

R.W.Dale
December 19, 2007, 10:36 PM
the only thing i dont like about the shilans, at least last time i looked at them at midwayusa, was that you could only get the factory contures. i like a litttle more meat on my rifles. but thats the only thing i didnt like. i mean, i know that i can order one to my liking, but that cost a lot more, and i am a budget builder.

The Shillen listed at midway is a varmint contour SS barrel that sports a 1-8" twist and is 26" long. This should be more than enough mass for my purposes

skinewmexico
December 19, 2007, 11:57 PM
The Shillen does have the added benefit of being stainless and avalible through midwayUSA.com

Check Savageshooters.com for some links to buy Shilen barrels, for a lot better deal than the few that Midway carries. And if you don't order from Midway, you can send them dummy rounds, and Shilen will throat it to your rounds. I just bought a 6.5X47 Lapua, that had been thru a couple of forum members, and I am very, very happy with it. If I could shoot, it would be making some killer groups with factory ammo. Guy over there has an SSS trigger for sale now too.......

If you enjoyed reading about "What barrel for my stevens 200 project." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!