safe garand ammo for hunting

PDA

hkenvy91
December 19, 2007, 09:09 PM
gonna be doe season in a week and i thought about taking a deer for the freezer with my garand. anyhow i talked to the local gun peddlers around my way and they recemended federal power-shok 150g soft point.

will that be safe to shoot without damaging the oprod?
ive only shot cmp greek hxp

If you enjoyed reading about "safe garand ammo for hunting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Roswell 1847
December 19, 2007, 09:12 PM
All I can say on the matter is that a friend that uses his Garand for Deer swears by the Bronze Point ammo. I think he uses Remington 150 gr Bronze point because it has the same point of impact as ball in his gun at least.
http://www.whiskeyrivertools.com/huntingandfishing/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5677_5703&products_id=64342

vector248
December 19, 2007, 09:17 PM
I am no expert on the Garand by any stretch, but i have read posts in several places that it is a bad idea to shoot comercial ammo through your M1 becasuse there is a small threash hold of powder burn rate, and outide of that thrashold can damage your rifle. I only use M2 Ball myself, since i am not willing to take the chance of damaging my M1. hopefully someone smarter than i on this will chime in

mustanger98
December 19, 2007, 09:25 PM
Everything I understand about the M1 is that you don't want powders with burn rates outside the narrow range between IMR4064 and IMR4895... between 42 and 50 grains... consult reloading manuals; mine's Hornady's 5th Edition.

My Garand-safe hunting loads are handloaded Hornady 165grSP over enough IMR4064 or IMR4895... I have some of both, but don't mix 'em up and run 'em at the same time... to run 2600fps. I've also shot 'em in a commercial-built '03A3 with good results.

With the slower burning powders, you get too high a port pressure. The worry is about bending the op rod. From what I hear, there's getting to be fewer and fewer good op rods because somebody keeps shooting commercially loaded hunting ammo in their Garands.

Deer Hunter
December 19, 2007, 09:25 PM
Anything 150 grain that's not a lite-mag class round will work fine. Same advice for those Ishapore Enfields.

telecaster1981
December 19, 2007, 09:57 PM
I'd say the best thing to do would be order one of the Schuster adjustable gas plugs available at Midway (among other places). I ordered one for my M1 this deer season. It works great, reduces wear on your rifle, and the guys at Schuster MFG are super nice as well...I lost the locking screw on the first day with the plug in the M1, so I called them up to buy another one. They ended up sending me 4 set screws and 4 locking screws for FREE!

I actually keep the USGI plug in when my M1 is loaded up for home defense (with M2 Ball AP), but the Schuster plug is just the ticket for non-spec loads! Worked for me on two deer this season.

Ben

davera
December 19, 2007, 11:01 PM
+1 on the Schuster. Very easy to adjust to just about any 30-06 ammo. Don't shoot commercial hunting loads without it.

Mr White
December 20, 2007, 12:01 AM
Don't shoot commercial ammo from your Garand. The powder used in commercial ammo is usually too slow and builds up too much pressure for the op rod. It might not break right away. It might not break this year, or next. But continued use of such ammo will weaken your op rod and if it lets go, you'll be in a world of hurt.

If you have a friend who reloads, have him load you up some 150 gr soft points with Varget, IMR4064 or 4895.

dmazur
December 21, 2007, 04:49 AM
McCann Industries has a different version of an adjustable gas plug. It is adjustable by changing an insert screw to one of 5 different size orifices. You start with the largest and work smaller until the action cycles normally.

The price is around the same as the Schuster, but the method is different.

I have both and I prefer the McCann because I think it's easier to clean.

If you enjoyed reading about "safe garand ammo for hunting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!