Short barrel rifles?

PDA

Miss Debbie
December 20, 2007, 08:54 AM
HI there what is the process of getting a shorter barrel in a AR-15 platform?
Someone said you have to get a tax stamp, what form do I have to fill out and where di I get it? Right now I have a LMT lower with a 16" barrel also LMT.

If you enjoyed reading about "Short barrel rifles?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hkmp5sd
December 20, 2007, 09:14 AM
You need to register your AR-15 as a SBR. You need to verify that they are legal in your place of residence. You can go HERE (http://www.atf.gov/dcof/index.htm) and order the forms you will need. You will need two copies of ATF "FORM 1 (5320.1) - Application to Make and Register a Firearm" and two fingerprint cards "FBI FD-258LE - NFA, Imports ORI WVATF0100". The tax is $200. Once they return the approved Form 1, you can acquire the short barreled upper for your AR.

As you are "manufacturing" a SBR, you will need to engrave your name/city/state on the AR receiver to indicate you made it. You should also be aware that if you own multiple AR-15s, ATF allows you to own only one short barreled upper for your registered SBR. They claim if you own an normal AR along with your registered SBR AR, possession of two short barreled uppers constitutes possession of one unregistered SBR, even if you do not attach the short barrel upper to your unregistered AR.

BucksDC
December 20, 2007, 09:17 AM
Call your local ATF branch. Number can be found in the Govt. section of your phone book.
Ask them to send you the NFA paperwork for registering an SBR.
Follow directions on the paperwork.
You will need to either get fingerprinted/signed off by your local chief law enforcement officer Or create a trust.
Find a trophy shop and have your name/location engraved on your lower.
Wait for paperwork to clear 1-3 months.
Buy a short bbl and install on upper.
Have fun.

Detailed help can be found at AR15.com. Go to Armory section and scroll down to the NFA section.
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c225/BucksDC/totodd.jpg

TexasRifleman
December 20, 2007, 09:27 AM
Find a trophy shop and have your name/location engraved on your lower.
Wait for paperwork to clear 1-3 months.

I think I'd switch the order of those just in case your paperwork doesn't go through for some reason :)

Hkmp5sd
December 20, 2007, 09:44 AM
Buy one of these lowers and you don't have to worry about SBR uppers. :) Here's a 14.5" Bushmaster upper.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/Hkmp5sd/M16A1.jpg?t=1198161456

Dionysusigma
December 20, 2007, 03:12 PM
^^^ Got me worrying pretty dang quick--thought he was presenting the AR pistol angle, but that's negated by the stock.

Note to self: whenever Hkmp5sd posts a picture, look for "da switch." :rolleyes: :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Short barrel rifles?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!