What the better Rifle???

The Mossberg 100 ATR 270WIN
http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=8&section=products

Or

The Remington 700 270WIN
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/

What would you buy?:uhoh:

Ricky

If you enjoyed reading about "Whats The Better Rifle? The..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rickyford2
December 20, 2007, 04:44 PM
ANy one???

Ricky

Jim Watson
December 20, 2007, 04:56 PM
If all I wanted to do was go hunting with a factory rifle AND if the Mossberg was a good deal less expensive, I am sure it would do fine.
But I am a target shooter and there is more "stuff" and experience with the Remington than anything else on the market.

Thernlund
December 20, 2007, 04:58 PM
I'd go the Remington.

-T.

rickyford2
December 20, 2007, 04:59 PM
Thanks.

Ricky

jrfoxx
December 20, 2007, 05:09 PM
Pretty sure it means that if your looking for a good gun, at a good price, thats good enough for hunting, the Mossberg will do the trick.If you are willing to spend the extra money, and are looking for a more accurate gun for target shooting, longer range hunting, or just plain want a more accurate gun,with more aftermrket mods/ability to be accurized easily, get the 700.Seemed fairly clear to me......and didnt even need the F-bomb to figure it out...

rickyford2
December 20, 2007, 05:15 PM
jrfoxx

Thanks for the detale and sorry about the F-bomb

Ricky

High Planes Drifter
December 20, 2007, 05:16 PM
What the F*** dose that mean???

Ricky

The Remington 700 is the ubiqutous bolt action. Its as common as the 870 shotgun, or the 10/22 Ruger. There are more aftermarket accesories available (barrels, aftermarket stocks, and such), more 'smiths tinker with them, and so on. Also, the 700 is supposed to be a more accurate action. I cant tell you if it is or isnt, scince I dont target shoot; I only hunt with mine.

If you're only going to hunt with the rifle, I'd buy whatever was on sale; either one of them is certainly accurate enough for that purpose.

skinewmexico
December 20, 2007, 05:24 PM
What it means, Ricky, is that there is a big difference in a rifle that shoots "minute of deer", and one that shoots sub "minute of angle".

rickyford2
December 20, 2007, 05:27 PM
What is minute of deer and sub minute of angle?

Ricky

mljdeckard
December 20, 2007, 05:36 PM
It's been answered three times.

Thernlund
December 20, 2007, 05:36 PM
WHAT ????

I just need to know whats the better all round gun Hunting+target

It sounds like you really need to study up on the topic before you purchase anything. Hang around these forums for awhile and do some Internet searches for rifle topics.

-T.

Silvanus
December 20, 2007, 05:40 PM
WHAT ????

Mossberg = accurate enough
Remington = more accurate

You get it now? :banghead:

onemsumba
December 20, 2007, 05:45 PM
I would recomend you buy the Mosseberg.

That way you can figure out all about shooting and rifles with it and then upgrade to the Remington later on. If you figure out the Mossy is good enough for you then you will have saved the money that you would have spent on the Remington.

High Planes Drifter
December 20, 2007, 05:46 PM
WHAT ????

Ricky

If the word "target" is on your plans, more folks would suggest for you to buy the Remington.

ImARugerFan
December 20, 2007, 06:13 PM
The remington is a better gun. The mossberg is still nice.

Matt-J2
December 20, 2007, 06:50 PM
'Better' is completely subjective. First you need to figure out exactly(or close to it) what you want the rifle for. I know you've said hunting+target. Now, go further. What distances for either? For hunting, what critters? Are you going to stalk, or plant your butt in a stand? etc etc.

Why? Different applications can call for different gear. Weight is an issue on the stalk, much less so in a stand. What finish do you need? Stock material? and so on.

You have a lot of questions to answer before we can answer the question you asked. ;)

BTW: There's quite a few Rem. 700 styles to choose from. Might want to narrow down the selection there as well.

rickyford2
December 20, 2007, 06:54 PM
I will be hunting deer in a stand and stalking some of both. I will be takeing shots from 10-50-250 yards.

Ricky

Jim Watson
December 20, 2007, 06:54 PM
If serious target shooting is on your schedule, you can do better than a .270, too.

jpwilly
December 20, 2007, 06:56 PM
Dare I enter? Ricky seems to have a little temper!

The Mossberg is an inexpensive rifle that will hunt and shoot targets on the cheap...you can forget about upgrading with off the shelf parts becasue at this time aftermarket for the Mossberg ATR doesn't exist!

On the other hand you can spend a little more for a Rem 700 and if you ever wanted to upgrade there is plenty of off the shelf stuff to build and play with as long as your wallet can afford it.

BOTH rifles will shoot. MY MOSSBERG ATR 30-06 IS SUB MOA! and will shoot 3/4" groups with commercial ammo. You can do a search and find a range report I posted a few months back if you like.

rickyford2
December 20, 2007, 07:04 PM
jpwilly thanks for you info.

Ricky

The Deer Hunter
December 20, 2007, 07:04 PM
WHAT ????

Ricky

If your looking for a cheap gun that will work ok, the Mossberg will be fine. Its even advertised as being a working gun and not for your wall. If you want a really nice gun get the Remington. The accuracy will probably be better, and so will the looks. If you do your part, they will both kill just the same.

QuakKillz
December 20, 2007, 07:12 PM
I want to throw a quick question in.... I bought the "value" 710 in 270, (hey its a great shooter and I was lacking in the cash flow) can I get aftermarket parts for it??..... Sorry for the hijack and thanks for the answers....PM if need be as to not hijack anymore.....

rickyford2
December 20, 2007, 07:17 PM
Yout fine.

How much did you pay for the 710 270???

Ricky

7mmRemMag
December 20, 2007, 07:31 PM
I would say the Remington. I have played with both of them and to me the mossberg is awkward felling and the bolt is very sloppy. And if down the road you decide to get rid of it I think the Remington will hold it's value better(correct me If I'm wrong)

7mm

Thernlund
December 20, 2007, 07:42 PM
...can you hit a coke can at 75 yards with open sight with a 22LR?

Yes.

You have a lot of questions to answer before we can answer the question you asked.

That's right.

Your question is akin to asking the better of Ford and Chevy. I have no problem telling you that I'd pick Chevy and advise you as much. But that doesn't make it necessarily so. Just makes it so for me.

It still sounds to me like you have to study up on these rifles. Just because you can shoot doesn't mean you know it all. Otherwise you wouldn't have asked, eh? Take some time and study on these and you'll buy something you're happy with. Listen to the advice, but ultimately it's your own opinion you want to reinforce. During my teen years I learned the hard way that what others like isn't always what you'll like.

But hey, if you don't wanna take the time... just buy the Remington. Most of the responses seem to point you that way anyway.

And if you buy a truck, buy a Silverado. ;)

-T.

jonboynumba1
December 20, 2007, 07:48 PM
I sell some of those mossbergs....they work and have a really good pricetag that sells them. It's one of the few rifles so bad even the magazine reviewers have panned them. That said I have some customers that have "good ones" that seem to work fine. I've heard of stuff breaking on them but have not had a service issues with any of the ones we have sold. They are pretty light and for the money I guess you can't say it isn't the best scoped rifle pkg. $299 can buy. (I don't know what they go for right now but the last ones we sold ran about that)

That said I don't think anyone is going to say the remington 700 even in it's cheapest form isn't twice the rifle quallity wise. The action is worth rebarreling down the road if you want something different...the mossberg you sell cheap or throw away when it brakes or you want to upgrade. The mossberg is a good "rainy day/loaner gun" I'd call a good remington 700 an everyday gun...and in the case of a 700 BDL an American classic. Nobody is going to mistake a mossberg for a classic...it actually makes a Savage 110 look very pretty.

Bottom line is I'd buy a good used rifle at a local gunshop with a good reputation before I bought a disposable grade beater. Do some searches fopr reviews on the mossberg...it aint pretty.

PS- I also agree on the truck issue....Silverado Z71 4x4 quadcab flareside fully loaded and it also must have a Browning window decal centrally located in the rear window (Alabama state law-LOL) I love that ole' gal (98' model still going strong) Has always got me there and back...if somewhat covered in AL. mud afterwards. If you drive a Ford buy the mossberg! ;)

Ash
December 20, 2007, 07:52 PM
As the Mossberg has the same barrel mounting as the Savage, I cannot see how it would be inherently less accurate than the Remington. The Mossberg 100ATR is an amalgamation of designs. The action is essentially the Howa 1500 with a tubular receiver using the Savage-style barrel nut (that lacks the engagement lugs of the Savage, so changing out barrels isn't as easy). Nothing about the design that makes it less accurate. I would wager the ATR is the equal to the bottom-line Remington.

However, the Remington will indeed have more upgrade options. Finish and fit are basically the same in the bottom-line rifles. However, the Mossberg is considerably cheaper. Therefore, you can get a Mossberg and use the money saved towards buying better glass. As a result, for, say, $500 you can have a better shooting platform with the Mossberg than the Remington.

Ash

Thernlund
December 20, 2007, 07:55 PM
If you drive a Ford buy the mossberg!

LOL! :cool:

-T.

J_L_A
December 20, 2007, 08:18 PM
I don't have the Mossy but I do have the Remmy 700 22-250 and it shoots great. Got it for $450. How much you willing to spend again?

Thernlund
December 20, 2007, 08:21 PM
He didn't say, but this thread might be related...

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=324241

-T.

eliphalet
December 20, 2007, 08:22 PM
If a fellas measure of rifle accuracy is a pop can at 75 yards then I don't think it really matters what presently on the market new rifle he buys. Any should do just fine, pick the one that you like the looks or feel of best.

J_L_A
December 20, 2007, 08:30 PM
He didn't say, but this thread might be related...

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=324241

-T.

Good catch!

marksman13
December 20, 2007, 08:38 PM
Ricky, you've gotten plenty of good advice here, but you seem too busy trying to prove your manhood to listen to it. My advice is to go with the Remington. It has a long track record of success. It also has several different models to choose from. One of those models is bound to fit your needs. That said, I've got nothing against Mossberg. I own a couple of Mossberg shotguns and have yet to experience a problem.

Perhaps you stop thumping your chest long enough to digest the advice that you asked for. You'll find that most people on this board are helpful and polite. No need to challenge another member with a childish rant. I believe you'll find many members who could keep a coke can spinning and rolling out to 100 yards with an iron sighted 22.

No disrepect intended, but it would serve you well to respect your fellow members. You asked an open-ended question and you got open ended responses. No need to get cranky about that. Just ask more specific questions.

By the way, you Chevy guys are nuts... Nissan Titan is the only way to go.

351 WINCHESTER
December 20, 2007, 08:45 PM
The remington is much better than the mossberg. I have a mossberg and the trigger sucks.

karnaaj
December 20, 2007, 10:56 PM
If I had to venture a guess it would be that Ricky is just a little kid (not meant to be an insult). His posting style clearly indicates it.

Neurosis
December 21, 2007, 12:03 AM
He mentions in another thread that he's 15... which would probably explain the apparent over enthusiasm, curt demeanor, etc, etc... But to throw a wrench in the mix, I love my Savage (w/ accutrigger) it's affordable and suits both my hunting and paper punching needs. :D

rickyford2
December 21, 2007, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the help.

Ricky

RIDE
December 21, 2007, 12:18 AM
:rolleyes:Wow! Nice guy and great attitude.:rolleyes:

Well "ricky"... I would suggest that you learn the great life lesson of:

"You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar".

Rock_Steady
December 21, 2007, 12:20 AM
Hey - Rick - you've got the advice. The mossberg will work, the Remington is better, go buy your rifle and stop taking offense at everything said here.

ants
December 21, 2007, 01:58 AM
People with really short tempers and bad attitudes must be very careful with a loaded rifle in their hands.

If I ever ask a question on this Forum, I would be very pleased to get 2 pages of replies in such a short time period. I would be thanking you guys profusely.

marksman13
December 21, 2007, 02:23 AM
Ricky, just remember that being young is not an excuse for being rude and ill-tempered. You are the future of RKBA in this country. Conduct yourself accordingly.

And honestly, go with the Remington. Not putting down the Mossberg at all, but why not go with a company with Remington's track record?

rbernie
December 21, 2007, 10:22 AM
Any chance I could just get what I ask for?
You did. You just didn't take the time to see that you'd been given the help you sought, didn't think long enough to understand the nuances of the answers that people took the time to type on your behalf, nor remember your manners enough to be kind to those who tried to help you.

You asked a question; have the manners to try to understand the answers before you crap all over the folks trying to be nice to ya.

iamkris
December 21, 2007, 11:03 AM
What the F*** dose that mean???

Ricky

WHAT ????

Ricky

But all I ask for was some info on the 2 gun brands-modle and look what I get all over me

Gee, with responses like that, I can't imagine why no one wants to answer your questions... :scrutiny::uhoh:

Here's a hint...if everyone in the band is out of step except for you...examine your own cadence.

Grizzly Adams
December 21, 2007, 11:28 AM
Ricky, my advice is:

1) GROW-UP first!
2) Try both if possible then make your own decision as to which feels the best to you.
3) If not possible to try both, the Rem. is the best of the two.

kennyboy
December 21, 2007, 12:44 PM
The Remington.

XDKingslayer
December 21, 2007, 12:51 PM
I would go to the Mossberg simply because Remington mentions the word "tactical" so many times on their 700 website that it's actually sickening.

On this page alone, the word "tactical" is mentioned 21 times. http://www.remington.com/tactical/tactical_rifles.asp

That's freakin sad...

rickyford2
December 21, 2007, 01:09 PM
Dang your right 21 times:what:

Ricky

iamkris
December 21, 2007, 01:39 PM
simply because Remington mentions the word "tactical" so many times on their 700 website that it's actually sickening.

While I agree that tactical is possibly the most over-used word in the industry right now, could it be that you are seeing the word because you logged into their "TACTICAL" rifle section? Possibly?

Try their Model 700 section. Although they mention hunting and target shooting quite a few times...

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/

Fburgtx
December 21, 2007, 03:48 PM
Ask your mommy to get you the Remington. Also consider spending less time shooting and more time studying spelling. Sorry to be so rude, but you asked for it.

rickyford2
December 21, 2007, 04:57 PM
Ask your mommy to get you the Remington. Also consider spending less time shooting and more time studying spelling. Sorry to be so rude, but you asked for it.

:rolleyes: who cars.

karnaaj
December 21, 2007, 05:02 PM
Either that was a clever response or you just proved his point.

rickyford2
December 21, 2007, 05:16 PM
I'm not sher what point your talking about but yes I do need to work on my spelling and if he is taunting me with the fact that my mom is going to be buying my gun or what but im glad I have her to buy my guns do not know but ether way hes acting kinda like a 1st grader by picking on guys spelling and stuff.

Sorry about my bad spelling guys.

Ricky

knickia
December 21, 2007, 10:44 PM
Troll season open early this year ?

I'd add the stevens 200 to the list, around the same price as a Mossy, but can use the savage 10 toys..

+1 to the fact you haven't understood that people have provided a lot of info here, if you can't digest it you probly don't need either/any highpower rifle yet..

:banghead:

The Deer Hunter
December 21, 2007, 11:22 PM
Just because the kid isn't the best speller or isn't being the most appreciative doesn't mean you have to be a jerk to him, guys.

birdbustr
December 21, 2007, 11:24 PM
Oh Jesus, again? Ever wonder why everyone tries to compare to the Remington 700? Think about it.......

marksman13
December 21, 2007, 11:56 PM
Deer hunter, it's a simple matter of reaping what he sows. I see no reason to defend someone who is so obviously rude. I was raised by parents and grandparents who taught and and rienforced common courtesy, at times physically rienforced it. It is a simple matter of respect for others.

akodo
December 21, 2007, 11:59 PM
short and simple:
The remington 700 is very good, and more expensive.
The savage is not quite so good, but less expensive.
The Mossberg is at the bottom, but still good enough for deer/elk out to 250 yards it will still hit in the vitals just fine, and it is the cheapest.

I think you will be well served by the mossberg for 5-10 years.
I think you will be well served by the remington for 50 years.

Further, to Ricky: The world is complicated, and so are guns. Many times there is simply no right answer. Maybe there is a best gun for one specific guy doing one very specific thing, maybe not. Post more information, and answer the questions the people ask, and you will get a better quality answer. Realize that sometimes we simply cannot answer difinitively "X is best!"

Now, for the some of the rest of you: Ever hear of leading by example? The guy is 15, and at least says thank you, and is making an effort to improve. Does he need to grow up some and wise up some? Sure does, but he at least has the excuse of being a young pup still. Most of you don't have that excuse.

rickyford2
December 22, 2007, 01:32 PM
Deer hunter, it's a simple matter of reaping what he sows. I see no reason to defend someone who is so obviously rude. I was raised by parents and grandparents who taught and and rienforced common courtesy, at times physically rienforced it. It is a simple matter of respect for others.

Well if you go back and read all the posts you all have been just as rude and curt as I have so what point are you all trying to make I do not know.

If some one could just tell me how you all are doing the right thing I would like to know and every time I try to be nice and kind and say im sorry I get some curt smerk remark from grone MEN and not forgivenes. Marksmen13 did your mom and dad ever teach you forgivennes or did they teach you if they hit you hit them back?

Now im saying sorry and am I going to get hit back or get forgivenes?

Ricky

marksman13
December 22, 2007, 01:50 PM
Actually, I was taught to hit back, but I was also taught that when someone apologizes to accept it and move forward. With that in mind, I don't think I was ever, once rude. If you will go back and read my replies you will see that I only attempted to explain why you were getting so many rude responses. When dealing with people you don't know it is always better to start with kindness. You asked an open-ended question and you seemed to angry that you got open ended reponses. That was my problem with your posts.

I understand that you are young and learning, I also realize that you may not have known there were so many variables in picking a good rifle. Many things must be considered. Does the rifle fit you? Is it accurate enough for your intended uses? Is it durable and reliable enough to withstand the conditions you will be using it in? Does the company who made it stand behind it with a warranty? Are there after market parts available for the rifle and are they common and inexpensive? Is the rifle affordable? There are some other questions that elude me at the moment I am sure, but you get the jist of what I am saying. All of these questions may not concern you, but they do concern a great many of us. Therefore it is impossible for us to suggest the "best rifle" for you. Make sense?

Perhaps I should have started off with a post more like this, but I was so taken aback by the attitude you seemed to have that I went that direction and for that I apologize.

You may also want to consider a Savage rifle if cost is a concern of yours.

rickyford2
December 22, 2007, 02:06 PM
Thanks Marksman13

What I should have ask is what gun is of better quaulity
Hope I spelled it all right.

Once agian sorry for being rude.

Ricky

marksman13
December 22, 2007, 02:16 PM
In my humble opinion the Remington is the best quality rifle. The fit and finish will probably be better, as will the materials used. Remington also has a reputation for being the most accurate "out of the box" rifle on the market, though there are some Savage owners who would disagree. I own many different rifles from many different manufacturers and I would have to say that my 700s are my favorites. Rugged, dependable, accurate, and well within most budgets.

Go put your hands on a few rifles from different manufacturers. See which one feels the best. One of them will grab at your heartstrings and beg you to take it home.

Also, it is great that you have mother who is willing to buy you this rifle as a GIFT, but make sure you don't get her into any trouble with a "straw purchase". A straw purchase is basically the act of someone buying a firearm for someone who can not legally do so for whatever reason. There is a much more complex definition of what constitutes a straw purchase and someone will be along to improve on my definition shortly I am sure.

Go shopping for a rifle and let us know what you pick out. Any thoughts yet on caliber?

marksman13
December 22, 2007, 02:25 PM
Also Ricky, you will find that even a term like quality can be argued amongst a board such as this. With so many intelligent and experienced people in one place all types of issues become subjective. What you will hear almost without fail is that the Remington Model 700 is a quality firearm even if some are reluctant to compare it to another model. Most rifles from well recognized companies will be good, quality guns. Remington, Winchester, Savage, Marlin, Weatherby, Browning, Thompson/Center, Ruger, CZ, Sako, Tikka, and others all have very reputable names. There are others that are just as good, but these are the first that come to mind.

rickyford2
December 22, 2007, 02:42 PM
There is nothing stoping me from buying the gun but the fact that im 15 and just so you know its not a gift im working for it.

Ricky

rickyford2
December 22, 2007, 02:46 PM
Oh and can every one please take part in the poll I started let us know how you hunt the name of the thred is

How do you hunt With dog or...

Ricky

marksman13
December 22, 2007, 03:10 PM
Being 15 is precisely the reason that it is illegal for you to buy one. I wouldn't make any mention of her buying the gun with your money in the store. You understand what I getting at?

rickyford2
December 22, 2007, 04:06 PM
Yes I do know:D:evil:LOL

Ricky

QuakKillz
December 24, 2007, 09:48 AM
How much did you pay for the 710 270???

Ricky

they are about 400 if I recall....with a bushnell 3-9x40 ....

chute2thrill
December 24, 2007, 10:17 PM
you could get a .30-06... that will drop your price to about $280 for the mossberg and $300 for the remington (at walmart)... and as you've read on the other posts.. the choice is obvious... spend the extra $20...

J_L_A
December 31, 2007, 01:42 PM
Ricky...Don't forget to go through a hunter safety course ....if you haven't already. It is soooo very important.

If you enjoyed reading about "Whats The Better Rifle? The..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!