Ruger Comes Through

PDA

FLORIDA KEVIN
December 20, 2007, 07:30 PM
Some of you may remember back in late october i damaged the barrel of my Ruger SRH 454 by firing a second round with a squib lodged in the barrel ! Well I sent the gun to ruger and they sent me an estimate for repair ! I paid the repair cost and was waiting for my gun to come back ! On dec 4 ruger sent me a letter that stated that the gun was irrepairable ! Ruger decided to replace the gun with a new one !!:D They are going to transer it to my local FFL and all it will cost me is the charge for transfer from the FFL to me ! This is better than I had ever hoped for ! i will keep you posted and let you know when i get the new gun :):D Why would i ever buy anything else besides a Ruger?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Comes Through" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MAX100
December 20, 2007, 10:46 PM
Don't you just love Ruger. That is why I never worry about buying a Ruger firearm.

GC

Neophyte1
December 21, 2007, 12:43 PM
Yes to 'Ruger":)

ocharry
December 21, 2007, 02:32 PM
them RUGER folks know how to take care of their customers

i have to plug for MARLIN too

and definitely SPRINGFIELD

i have sent guns back to all of them and have yet to be disappointed,,,,, always satisfied with the service

ocharry

Jim Watson
December 21, 2007, 03:09 PM
Dang, I wonder what you have to do to a Ruger to render it irrepairable. I'd have thought it would take more than a little bitty stuck bullet bulge.

A friend of mine shot an early NBH .45 until the transfer bar was pounded so thin it would not bridge from the hammer to the firing pin. So he took it out and filed the hammer for a direct blow. Then he shot it until the forcing cone eroded thin and cracked. So he looked up the prices of a new barrel, hammer, transfer bar, installation labor, and reblue and sent Ruger the gun with a check. They returned his frame with new barrel, cylinder and all internals... and $10 change.

FLORIDA KEVIN
December 22, 2007, 12:43 PM
JM i am not sure what they decided to replace it ? if I had to guess I would think that the threads stripped when they tried to unthread the barrel damaging the frame ? this is just a guess ! because the gun fired after the barrel was cleared ! When the folks at ruger get back after christmas maybe i can get more info !

W.E.G.
December 22, 2007, 02:01 PM
Because the labor-cost of inspecting, and repairing, and re-inspecting (and don't forget the liabilty-cost if it fails and you sue them because you do something stupid again) is less than the materials cost of a new gun.

Simple economics.

RecoilRob
December 22, 2007, 05:13 PM
Ruger already had the gun in-house and inspected it. They quoted a price to replace the barrel....obviously, something else happened when they tried to repair it.

Either the threads were buggered up or the frame failed inspection after barrel removal. They WILL put a new barrel on a pistol so they must have found something else after disassembly that prompted them to replace rather than repair.

Either way, Ruger is a stand-up company and did right by you. And it is nice to hear that a 454 will hold together (at least yours thankfully did!) firing a round into an obstructed barrel. Glad things worked out for you.

FLORIDA KEVIN
December 23, 2007, 02:49 PM
Dont worry WEG i won't do "something stupid again " at least not the same stupid thing twice !by the way i didnt try to fanagle a warraty repair out of them ! i wrote a long letter that was sent with the gun taking responsibility for the damage and thanking them for building such a robust product ! i may be stupid but i am honest ! Kevin

GP100man
December 23, 2007, 09:35 PM
every thing in my safe has turned to rugers!!!!

GP100man

FLORIDA KEVIN
January 4, 2008, 11:34 PM
I talked to the folks at Ruger today ! They recieved my letter accepting their offer of a replacement gun and the FFL info of where to send it ! delifery depends on whether or not thet have one in stock or I have to wait for one to be built !i will call next week and see if i can find out when it will be here ! I am chomping at the bit ! :D Kevin

FLORIDA KEVIN
January 30, 2008, 03:06 PM
Well went down to my local FFL last nite and took posession of my new SRH in .454 with 9 1/2" barrel !! It sure is sweet ,the trigger feels as good as my previous SRH ! i will be shooting it for the first time on thursday at the outdoor range ! I thought through the whole process everyone i dealt with at Ruger in NewHampshire were professional, polite , and helpful ! My next gun ? probably a Ruger !! Kevin

JohnBT
January 31, 2008, 10:02 AM
Not bad for a company with no warranty on their guns. :D

Bad Flynch
January 31, 2008, 01:02 PM
>Ruger already had the gun in-house and inspected it. They quoted a price to replace the barrel....obviously, something else happened when they tried to repair it.<

The barrels on the .454 are nearly impossible to replace without damaging the whole gun. The .454s are made of very special steel and put together with special techniques. Many custom builders who make 5 shot conversions, etc., will not accept them. The custom builders will only use .44 Magnums.

ImARugerFan
January 31, 2008, 03:23 PM
:)

ZeSpectre
January 31, 2008, 04:50 PM
That reminds me that I need to send my old Security Six in for a bazillion round checkup <grin>.

Ruger's service department is very cool and has a well deserved reputation that they work VERY hard to maintain!

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Comes Through" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!