I'm so mad at myself

PDA

tnieto2004
December 21, 2007, 12:55 AM
I bought some high rings for the scope on my flat top.. I was putting the rings on the flatop and right when I made the final tighten with the good for nothing allen wrench it came with, I felt the wrench slip.. The stupid screw head is stripped.. My fault.. I guess the good news is that it is nice and tight .. Bad news is that when I want to take the rings off I will have to drill through the screw head ..

If you enjoyed reading about "I'm so mad at myself" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
iiibdsiil
December 21, 2007, 01:15 AM
You probably won't have to drill it. A good amount of force and a couple different allen wrenches will probably git'r done.

jpwilly
December 21, 2007, 01:19 AM
Get an easy out at the hardware store. Peice of cake!

tnieto2004
December 21, 2007, 01:20 AM
Should I try to get it out now?? I mean it is in there tight and I don't need it off now.. should I just keep it on there and wait till I need it off?

jpwilly
December 21, 2007, 01:26 AM
I would leave it for now...isn't going anywhere and it's doing what it should.

Walkalong
December 21, 2007, 09:37 AM
Get an easy out at the hardware store. Peice of cake!
Yep, when the time comes. Sears sells em as well.

Ex. 1 (http://www.brokentap.com/easy-outs.html)

Ex. 2 (http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/may2003/techtotech.htm)

Franco2shoot
December 21, 2007, 09:51 AM
+2 on the easy out... I have em hanging on the wall, there are different sizes, but they work so well, treat yourself as a stocking stuffer item so that when the day comes its just like looking for the perfect screwdriver.
KKKKFL

Noban
December 21, 2007, 01:01 PM
Easy outs are the way to go. Just last week I needed to get a stripped screw out of a weaver mount on my Remington 742. Drilled the center out of the screw, applied the little reverse auger and the screw backed right out. Done in less than 20 minutes.

I wouldn't mess with it until you need to remove it.

Reyn
December 21, 2007, 01:09 PM
I know this sounds dumb but it would still bother the crap out of me knowing it was like that. I would go ahead and fix it.

MassMark
December 21, 2007, 01:25 PM
I know this sounds dumb but it would still bother the crap out of me knowing it was like that. I would go ahead and fix it.

Yup - me too....As much as it feels tight, unless you LocTited it, it'll back out eventually and loosen up. I'd get it over with. I'd also buy yourself a set of LaRue throwlevers - then there's no more worries mate...

aerod1
December 21, 2007, 01:31 PM
If it was only the hex head that stripped as you were tightening, you should still be able to back it out and then get another hex screw.

frogomatic
December 21, 2007, 01:35 PM
a small extractor tool will quickly and easily remove your screw.

JesseL
December 21, 2007, 02:09 PM
Sometimes with stripped out hex heads you can get them out by finding a torx screwdriver bit that's slightly oversized, gently tapping it into the hex head with a hammer, and unscrewing.
http://images.orgill.com/200x200/6784706.jpg

lencac
December 21, 2007, 02:19 PM
I hate when that happens :cuss: My suggestion is to just take a deep breath and send the mean ole flat top to me and then it won't ruin your fung shui :evil:

Geno
December 21, 2007, 02:23 PM
JesseL is right.

Doc2005

cracked butt
December 21, 2007, 03:10 PM
Yep, Torx screwdriver is the best solution:cool:

Historian
December 21, 2007, 04:22 PM
I recently had the same problem in reverse. I was backing out a set of screws from the rings of an old scope that I was going to remount on another rifle. Ran to Home Depot and picked up a set of torx heads (see JesseL's post above). After I found the correct size it worked like a charm.

Historian

"Those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it."

If you enjoyed reading about "I'm so mad at myself" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!