Ranges

PDA

ieszu
December 21, 2007, 02:15 PM
My wife has decided that we are moving, and I have started selling my gunshop/range to an interested party. Now we have the question of where to move.

I like the line of work I am in, and have no interest in changing it. So I ask all you here on THR for your advice as to where to move. I prefer a largish city to live near... somewhere along the lines of 100K people or so, that can use a new indoor range (i.e there isn't one there already, or the ones there people are extremely dissatisfied with).

I was particularly looking at a place like Dallas, Pittsburgh or St. Louis.... anyone know the situation out there? I am however open to other places.... got to make sure there is business there before I open :D

If anyone knows of a gunshop or range that is for sale, I would love to know about it...

Thank you in advance for all your help.. there is a reason I love to call this place home!

If you enjoyed reading about "Ranges" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Omaney
December 21, 2007, 02:18 PM
The Denton, Texas area is in dire need of a quality range. Denton is just north of Dallas up I35E. PLENTY of people...Most with firearms. Hurry!

mekender
December 21, 2007, 02:34 PM
davidson county NC, just south of greensboro... 20 miles outside of a good sized metro area... lots of hunting land... mild weather... low livings costs... and only 2 indoor ranges within a hour drive...

ieszu
December 21, 2007, 02:39 PM
Hmm.... sounds like ideas to consider as the year changes... Any others that people can think of?

Ultrachimp
December 21, 2007, 03:01 PM
well my college is in st louis - would you let a fellow THR member borrow guns? if so, then come here:p

have you done research in google for where gun ranges are in the cities you're looking at?

i'd do a lot more research than asking a few guys on here before you go moving to a new city.

Myrdhyn
December 21, 2007, 03:05 PM
come to north alabama....we're very gun friendly and need more options than just Larry's for public ranges and quality local gun shop(s)

ieszu
December 21, 2007, 03:13 PM
I am doing my research... but was curious as to what you guys think of the areas you are in.

Obviously, if you live in an area where there are 4 indoor ranges, there is always a lane available, and their prices a decent, then there is no point to looking there.

However, research on the web tells me who is in the area, but not how their customers (or potential customers) view them.

Also, someone might know of a range that is for sale... and those generally aren't listed, but instead spread through word of mouth.

siglite
December 21, 2007, 03:17 PM
I'm unaware of a single commercial indoor range in the state of West Virginia.

JohnBT
December 21, 2007, 05:21 PM
We need a nice, new range.

There's only one indoor range in the Richmond area and it's old and has horrible ventilation. I'm not certain it has any ventilation. :) I'd rather shoot outside in the rain or cold, and do.

ww.dominionshootingrange.com

DOMINION SHOOTING RANGE
BUSHIDO GROUP INC, THE
106 TURNER RD

RICHMOND , VA 23225
(804) 276-2851

John

Average Joe
December 21, 2007, 07:46 PM
We would like your business here in gun friendly Pennsylvania.

rockinrussky
December 21, 2007, 07:51 PM
I'll second JohnBTs statement. Here in Richmond, and central virginia in general there are just not that many ranges. There are only 2 public ranges within an hours driving distance (Amelia, Chicohominy) and both don't allow handguns at this point. All the good ranges are private, and as had been noted Dominion is nothing to brag about (abismal ammo prices, no ventilation, no long-guns other than 22s etc) So yea, please consider central VA, plenty of a market here.

davera
December 21, 2007, 08:11 PM
No indoor ranges in the Auburn Alabama area. It's a nice small town atmosphere with a large university that keeps it from being to country-fied. I don't know the population ... it probably is less than 100K. It's a little over 2 hours to big city Atlanta and about 4 hours to the "Redneck Riviera" gulf coast beaches.

As far as gun shops go, one in Opelika the neighboring town that I don't like very much, one here in Auburn that is nice enough but doesn't have much inventory and a recently opened Dick's for that "big box" feel. They all cater to the hunting crowd (nothing wrong with that, it's just limited)

Hunting is very big around here but there are no close by outdoor ranges either. I shoot at a club about 30 minutes away and plan to investigate a bigger club between here and Montgomery.

I was just thinking this past weekend, it would be nice to have a place about 10 or 15 minutes away to go and shoot for an hour or so and not drive 30+ minutes to get somewhere.

ieszu
December 22, 2007, 05:38 PM
Hmm.... something to think about.

Anyone hear of any ranges for sale, or have any other ideas?

ieszu
December 26, 2007, 10:37 PM
Just bumping for bumpiness sake.... anyone else have any other ideas?

Nobody's_Hero
December 26, 2007, 10:55 PM
What about Utah? They've been pretty good to the 2nd Amendment. Lots of carriers.

mekender
December 26, 2007, 10:59 PM
heard nothing for sale, but come on down to NC, we make some mean BBQ

If you enjoyed reading about "Ranges" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!