Questions from an semi-auto nooob

PDA

Stillwater97
December 21, 2007, 08:34 PM
I'm thinking about picking up a semi-auto rifle in .223.

I'm going to hunt varmints (sage rats mainly, and some coyotes).

Are the AR's decent for this purpose? They sure look fun to shoot. The distances I'll be shooting are say 100 to 300 yds.

Which ones are good? There are so many manufacturers making the damn things that how do you pick a decent one? They also range in pricing so much that I wouldn't know a good deal from a bad deal down at the pawn shop that has a lot of them right now.

What does a guy look for?

Thanks.

Mark

If you enjoyed reading about "Questions from an semi-auto nooob" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
December 21, 2007, 09:07 PM
An AR would excel at that. Any name company will do. I like my RRA and had a Bushmaster that was great as well. There are many good makers. The AR gurus will chime in anytime now with more informed opinions than mine.

tnieto2004
December 21, 2007, 09:17 PM
RRA uppers seem to have pretty positive feedback

iamkris
December 21, 2007, 09:19 PM
Agreed, an AR would be really ideal for that purpose. THere are lots of uppers specifically designed for the role. Plus, you can get another upper for your CQB version if you want.

gunman42782
December 21, 2007, 09:38 PM
Several companys now put out purpose built ARs specifically for varmint hunting. I think the AR platform is the best platform ever for varmint hunting. Remington has even got in on the game, not that the same company owns both them and Bushmaster and now DPMS.

MachIVshooter
December 21, 2007, 09:42 PM
My personal choice for a varminting AR would be the Armalite M-15(T) (http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=15A4TN).

But there are good rifles from many manufacturers.

That said, I use bolt guns for varmints, like my current favorite, a Ruger KM77VT in .220 Swift. The .223 just doesn't have enough reach.

RockyMtnTactical
December 21, 2007, 10:10 PM
My brothers and I hunt coyotes with our M4gerys. I wouldn't want anything else.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/mwirig79/coyotecallin15.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Questions from an semi-auto nooob" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!