DSA Extreme Duty Scope Mount Questions

PDA

Deer Hunter
December 21, 2007, 07:58 PM
I have one of these on my FAL and was thinking about cleaning it tonight. However, would I loose the zero if I took the dustcover off?

If you enjoyed reading about "DSA Extreme Duty Scope Mount Questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Lone_Gunman
December 21, 2007, 08:08 PM
Why take it off?

iamkris
December 21, 2007, 08:18 PM
I'd agree, with the FAL broken open (one of it's truely endearing characteristic) you can reach just about everything to give it a really good bath with a toothbrush.

I'd say you'd move the zero a bit if you removed it. Not much but a bit.

USSR
December 21, 2007, 08:59 PM
Deer Hunter,

The above posts are correct, why take it off; it's not necessary to do so to clean your FAL.

Don

Deer Hunter
December 21, 2007, 09:30 PM
Ah, ok. Maybe I had a slight lapse as I was making this quick post before I headed up to see a little nephew for christmas. You guys are right. I've spent too much time with my AK. :)

funfaler
December 22, 2007, 02:09 AM
Sometimes it is nice to have the mount off for a good scrubing, but for the most part, I leave mine on.

If I have an issue with my scope/mount/rings, and I have to fiddle with them, I take that opportunity ( :scrutiny: ) to take the mount off and clean it, since the zero is messed up anyway.

But the mount will not hold zero if removed, tough to design something like that for the FAL dust cover mount.

Coronach
December 22, 2007, 11:27 AM
Leave it on. I don't own a FAL with the dustcover mount (yet), but I own one without and I know people who have one with the mount. The two observations made thus far are correct:

1. If you remove and repalce the mount, you will almost certainly move your zero.

2. It does not need to be removed to perform cleaning or nearly any other maintenance task on the rifle. You just need to work a (very) little bit harder to get the chamber and surrounding areas clean.

Mike

If you enjoyed reading about "DSA Extreme Duty Scope Mount Questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!