New 16" AR15 Upper

PDA

wcwhitey
December 21, 2007, 09:29 PM
I currently have a DPMS 16" Low Pro that I love, it is a flat top with target barrel, free floated and shoots superbly with handloads or Milsurp. I would like to have the option of a 16" M4 type upper (unsure about flat top or handguard as I already have a set of fold down sights). Is it necessary to buy the bolt assembly and charging handle or will the one from my current upper work. My goal is to make a KISS carbine with no bolt-ons, current upper has all the bells and whistles. My thinking is that the extra $125 will buy a good bunch of ammo and having the extra bolt is not necessary but I would really like to hear opinions. Thanks in advance, Bill

If you enjoyed reading about "New 16" AR15 Upper" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
lamazza
December 21, 2007, 10:18 PM
It will work, but you should buy a new bolt and carrier while you still can..just to have it.

wcwhitey
December 22, 2007, 12:44 PM
Thanks Lamazza! I am surprised this did not get more responses. Thanks Again, Bill

Chipperman
December 22, 2007, 12:46 PM
The bolt face and chamber wear in together. It's best to have a complete bolt for each upper. If you use the same bolt on more than 1 upper, you may get reliability issues.

Bartholomew Roberts
December 22, 2007, 05:54 PM
As noted, it will probably work; but you'll see increased wear initially since each bolt/barrel extension will wear in slightly differently. I generally prefer not to use the same bolt in two different rifles.

If you enjoyed reading about "New 16" AR15 Upper" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!