Picky SKS

PDA

Aaryq
December 21, 2007, 09:56 PM
Howdy folks. I'll be having my old man buy me an SKS in a few weeks so when I finish this deployment, it will be mine. I intend on ordering some ammo too. Now I know that each gun has its own personality, but I'm trying to figure out any trends. Does your SKS not like certain brands of ammo? Is there any 7.62x39 that I should avoid?

If you enjoyed reading about "Picky SKS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
grimjaw
December 21, 2007, 10:10 PM
I've never had a problem with any ammo I've tried, and the only thing I've ever read is that some American made 7.62x39 has softer-than-military primers that *might* lend to the conditions that could cause a slamfire. Don't take my word for it, though.

jm

silverlance
December 21, 2007, 10:15 PM
I would suggest that you avoid WOLF HP x39. 99.9% of the time it will fire and extract BAU (business as usual) but the occurence of pierced primers in WOLF HP is substantially higher than that of other brands.

this statement is supported by Murray of Murray's Mod. and yes, it happened to me. twice.

silverlance
December 21, 2007, 10:22 PM

stevetford
December 21, 2007, 10:42 PM
First off, thany you for what you do for our country. I am a new recruit to the Kentucky Army National Guard and will ship out to BCT in Mar 08. Anyways, I have 2 yugo SKS's and have yet to find ammunition they do not like. But for the most part I use Brown Bear in either FMJ or HP. this is what is on the shelf at my local gun shop and it is cheap. Because of the price I do not reload, but I did try some much more expensive Winchester ammo but did not see any improvement in accuracy. Like the others mentioned, be careful of slam fire. For the money one of the best mods you can do is replace the firing pin with one from Murrays. Good luck and return home safe.

Mr White
December 21, 2007, 10:56 PM
If the box says 7.62x39 on it, your SKS will digest it. I have a Yugo and a couple Norincos and they aren't the least bit picky.

Sunray
December 21, 2007, 11:10 PM
American made 7.62x39 uses a .308" bullet. American made 7.62x39 is really loaded for the Ruger Mini-30's .308" diameter barrel. The SKS uses a .311" bullet. While the SKS isn't a target carbine, using the wrong diameter bullet won't help accuracy.
Some Eastern Bloc milsurp uses corrosive primers. Not really a big deal as you just clean accordingly(flush with hot water ASAP after shooting).
Slamfires are caused by improperly loaded ammo. Not soft primers or the firearm used.

Anteater1717
December 21, 2007, 11:30 PM
Mine loves everything labeled 7.62x39.

If you enjoyed reading about "Picky SKS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!