Whats the main differances????

PDA

Koontzy
December 21, 2007, 10:01 PM
I did some searching and found some info, but want to ask these questions.... Whats the main differances between the .30-06, .308, 7mm-08 and the .270?

How do they stand in recoil?
What the average yardage they can range for whitetail deer?(with someone who takes the time ot properly setup and practice.
How do they stand in ammo Prices?

I know alot of people like each rifle.... but wanting to find out those answers:)

thanks and I appreciate it...

also can ya tell me a little more about them? what exactly is a 7mm-08?

also how do their casing sizes differ?

thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Whats the main differances????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArmedBear
December 21, 2007, 10:05 PM
Whitetails? All of them will work as far as it's ethical to shoot a deer.

Recoil: .30-06, .308, .270, 7mm-08 from highest to lowest. Depends on the load and bullet weight. None of them is excessive. The .308 is a short-cased version of the .30-06. The .270 is a .30-06 case with a smaller diameter bullet, and the 7mm-08 is a .308 case with a smaller diameter bullet.

Prices? About the same, for quality hunting ammo.

Prices go up when you get into magnum rounds, or hard-to-find calibers, and these are neither, so no worries.

Koontzy
December 21, 2007, 10:08 PM
armed bear, thanks for the info.... you did exactly as I was looking for:)

do you happen to know the yardage range of these rifles? I know they can all shoot around 3-400 yards.... and I know the .308 is used in 1,000 yard comps..reason being is that I might enter some yardage competitions in the upstate when deer season is out:)

what about the others:)

also which one is better to have is I step up to a elk? are they all capable?

thanks and I appreciate it.

Shawnee
December 21, 2007, 10:25 PM
Yes, they are all capable at 1000 yds. and, yes, they all will be just fine for Elk at whatever range you can do your part.
Personally, I would choose the 7mm/08 which is a 7mm bullet launched from a necked-down .308 case. Second choice would be a .270. :cool:

Oohrah
December 22, 2007, 01:14 AM
For all around with the greatest choice of bullets, the 30-06 is the
winner hands down with commercial loadings and handloads. An Elk
can be taken down with any of the listed, with selective shots. I
would suggest using the 30-06 with controlled expansion bullet such
as Nosler Partition, Barns, Bearclaw, and several others starting with
a 165 grainer and perhaps up to 180 grain loaded to higher end velocity
for a flater trajectory at longer range shots. If sucessful, bring a friend
to help as they are a good sized animal !!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Whats the main differances????" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!