Watch out when buying C&R guns off Forums

PDA

silverlance
December 21, 2007, 11:08 PM
Bought a really sweet 1943 Finn Mosin-Nagant. 98% blue, all matching, with sako stamps all over including the bolt. According to the seller, it had a mirror bore with excellent grooves. Paid $280 for it IIRC.

Got it several weeks later, and it was as described. Beautiful! Since I didn't have enough time to shoot it, I looked down the bore and sure enough, great grooves. The barrel wasn't shiny, but that was okay with me. Waxed the stock with 1/3 Finn wax, then socked it up in a silicone gunsack and put it in the safe.

About a year later, last night, I withdrew the rifle from the innards of my cabinet to play with while watching Talvisota again with the Gif. During a lull in the fighting, I absently removed the bolt and examined it closely. To my horror, the bolt face was covered with black specks of rust!

Further examination of the bore revealed it to be covered with rust. It took me about a hour and a half with windex, brush, clp, and a pile of patches in order to clean the gun out. Apparently the last guy who had it had shot corrosive ammo, then packed it up and shipped it without cleaning.

The only thing that saved my gun from being a sewer pipe was two things - it was inside a silicone impregnated gun sock inside a dessicant-stock safe, and because the last guy who had it also did a rather mediocre job of removing cosmoline - the grease managed to absorb a lot of the corrosive salts, I think.

So.. if you buy a gun, especially a C&R gun off of a forum board... dont assume that the last guy took great care of it. clean it thorough as if you had just shot corrosive ammo in it before putting it away.

kev

If you enjoyed reading about "Watch out when buying C&R guns off Forums" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
iamkris
December 21, 2007, 11:19 PM
Hmmm...never considered that. Good advice.

Sorry to hear you had that happen. I know how you love your Finns.

The Deer Hunter
December 21, 2007, 11:26 PM
Even if it was wrapped up tight doesn't mean it cant rust. If you just let your guns sit, regardless if they are in a controlled environment with a silicone impregnated gun sock doesn't mean they wont rust.

jame
December 21, 2007, 11:31 PM
It's very possible that it was fired with corrosive ammo and not cleaned properly after shooting. Many will mistakenly clean up with Hoppe's, Breakfree, or the like.

After shooting corrosive ammo, cleaning needs to be done with an ammonia based cleaner.

If the rifle is as pristine as you describe, I'm guessing that the previous owner may have thought he was delivering a good item, when in fact, it was a rusting time bomb.

Hoppy590
December 21, 2007, 11:36 PM
sounds to me like you put a gun away with out cleaning it. wether you shot it or not. :scrutiny:

i clean all my guns after i get them before puting them away

elmerfudd
December 21, 2007, 11:45 PM
I think it was just inadequately cleaned. Whenever I shoot corrosive ammo I clean the rifle within a few hours time. Then a few days later I pull it back out of the safe and reinspect the bore. Every now and then I find that I wasn't quite thorough enough and I clean it again, (although usually it's nothing more than a couple of tiny specks). Once I went out shooting with my nephew and we cleaned the rifles together afterward. Later when he went back to college he asked me to keep his rifle for him, (this was several weeks after we had gone shooting). When I got the rifle home, I pulled the bolt and inspected it and the bore was black and downright fuzzy. Now I know for a fact that he had run a number of patches and at least some Hoppes #9 down the bore and I also know that I told him to use the Windex I had with me as well, but despite that, when I inspected that bore a month or so later it was nasty.

PTK
December 21, 2007, 11:48 PM
You bought a used gun, put it in a safe, left it for a year, and blame someone else that it rusted?

Oohrah
December 22, 2007, 02:01 AM
Hoppe #9 will not penetrate completely the corrosive salts.
Care with ammonia based cleaners as it can be a bad juju if
left on metal. GI Bore cleaner will do a good job, but the best
for corrosive salts and black powder is good old very hot soapy
water followed by plain hot water. Final protective oil or CLP.
I usually give it a second cleaning the following day to make
double sure that every bit of bad stuff is gone!!!:D

U.S.SFC_RET
December 22, 2007, 08:41 AM
You are lucky that's all the rusting it did.

Ithacaman
December 22, 2007, 09:13 AM
In buying old guns (which is all I buy) I just assume they are dirty despite exterior appearances. I too have learned that one the hard way. Plus, the cleaning job familiarizes you with your new firearm.

To me the rifle has always been the most romantic of all weapons.

Jack O'Connor

jonnyc
December 22, 2007, 09:39 AM
Every "new" old gun I get receives the same treatment:
-clear action (I've gotten a few with ammo in the mag!)
-fondle & giggle
-outside inspection
-strip and inspect internals
-clean, clean, clean
-check functioning with dummy rounds
-fondle & giggle again
-plan shooting session.

silverlance
December 22, 2007, 05:13 PM
You bought a used gun, put it in a safe, left it for a year, and blame someone else that it rusted?

The only person I'm blaming is myself. The CAUSE is because the last owner didn't clean it (or clean it properly), but the blame (if there is any) should fall rightfully on me. The point of my post is that one should never assume, and therefore treat all newly acquired C&R guns as if corrosive ammo had just been fired in them - even if they look great upon first inspection.

Often, it is very hard to see the corrosive deposits. Further, I agree with another poster -corrosive-shot guns should be periodically inspected. I once had a CZ 52 get pitted on me (lightly) because even though I KNOW I put lots of windex down it some must have been left behind.

Vaarok
December 22, 2007, 06:12 PM
Always clean a new gun. Always check the condition of your guns monthly.

MachIVshooter
December 22, 2007, 09:09 PM
I always clean any firearm I buy, new or used, as soon as it get's home.

SlamFire1
December 22, 2007, 10:26 PM
I am sorry to hear about your experience. I can say, it would not have occurred to me to clean a minty specimen out with hot water on the chance that a previous owner had not cleaned it properly after shooting corrosive.

But it would have gotten properly cleaned after taking it to the range. I could not wait a year to shoot the thing!

If you enjoyed reading about "Watch out when buying C&R guns off Forums" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!