My son wants a Mosin!!!!!

PDA

AnthonyC.
December 22, 2007, 01:54 AM
My son came up to me today and said "Dad, I would like a Mosin-Nagant for Christmas", ....I didnt know what to say, He has not been very intrested in mil-surp guns at all. He is 15 and I was wondering if I did get him one, what could I do to cut down on recoil? I want this to be a good experiance for the both of us, if I do get one for him for Christmas. I have never shot one. The biggest caliber we have ever shot has been a 30-06 Remington 700 with a factory recoil pad. and He said that it kicked hard and hurt his sholder a little but he loved it. so what kind of a recoil pad should I get him to go along with the rifle and what should I expect to pay for an m44? or a carbine?

Thanks very much,
Anthony

If you enjoyed reading about "My son wants a Mosin!!!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bensdad
December 22, 2007, 02:05 AM
Mosin's can still be had pretty cheap. I paid less than $100 for mine. The ammo is still pretty cheap also.

Recoil? It's on par with a .30-06. If you really feel the need, I'm sure there's a slip-on that would fit.

bvchurch
December 22, 2007, 02:48 AM
Just for informational purposes I would start here:
http://7.62x54r.net/

And also for other information look here:
http://mosinnagant.net/

Anyways, several things to hit here. First you need to make the choice of a carbine (m38, m44 etc) or a full length rifle (m91/30 etc). Myself, the recoil seems to be less noticeable from the M91/30 compared to my m44. My m38 I enjoy shooting quite a bit. Price ranges on the standard, refurbished, imported firearms probably ranges from $60 on up with shipping, or if you live near a Big 5, Gander Mountain, Joes Sports, Dunhams, you should be able to find them there on sale for around $70 to 80.

Recoil: I use a Limbsaver Slip On recoil pad as it works well and it is easy to get on and off, as I found out in below freezing temperatures the other day when I was switching between guns. These run around $25 (check your wal mart out)

Ammunition:
I reference this site:
http://gun-deals.com/ammo.php?caliber=7.62x54R

It gives you an idea though not all prices are current. Expect to pay at least 15 cents around after shipping, but still not bad. I order my ammunition through Century as shipping is only $12.95.

Hope this helps.

TimboKhan
December 22, 2007, 02:55 AM
Good for your kid! The carbine will be a tad lighter, but the rifle will soak up more recoil, although your probably splitting hairs for something thats going to be a range gun. Check around, because it is usually possible to get the rifle, plus accessories for around the $100 to $125 mark. Jensen Arms in Loveland, CO had two crates of carbines in, so if your son doesn't mind waiting past Christmas and you can't find anything around where you live, give them a call.

cbn620
December 22, 2007, 04:01 AM
Definitely get a good example M91/30, look for clean examples with smooth machining and matching parts. The heavier weight and longer barrel make the recoil a lot more manageable. The 91/30's recoil is comparable to the average .30-06, maybe even a little lighter.

Ammo is cheap, I recommend either Brown Bear or Silver Bear for the price. About 8 bucks gets you twenty rounds, usually.

The M44 is the carbine version, some of them can kick like a mule. They also sometimes present accuracy problems and need to be tweaked due to the side folding bayonet. For a new shooter, I would avoid the M44 in my humble opinion. Like I said, the stout recoil and possible need for maintenance might discourage a new shooter.

Prices for all of these should be 70-100 dollars before taxes/fees, depending on condition such as all matching parts. I stress all matching parts--make sure especially that the bolt matches the receiver's serial number with no line-outs/force matches.

cleardiddion
December 22, 2007, 04:07 AM
I say your son's got an excellent taste in milsurps!
My first gun was an MN, still have it actually and ironically enough I'm considering dolling it up and presenting it to my father as a present this christmas!

cracked butt
December 22, 2007, 04:21 AM
There seems to be a lot of 91/30 hex receiver and ex-dragoon rifles in stores recently- look around carefully and pick one of these with a good barrel- far more interesting than the rough crap made during the war.

U.S.SFC_RET
December 22, 2007, 08:36 AM
Get him a Finnish M39 Mosin Nagant. Look around, they can be had and they shoot pretty accurate.

jrfoxx
December 22, 2007, 09:43 AM
A simple, cheap, slip-on recoil pad will take the bite out of the recoil nicely.Still a decent shove like 30-06, but the pad will keep the steel buttplate from hurting, and the rubber helps keep the butt in the right place, as steel is a little slippery, and a slipping rifle butt tends to make recoil worse.

GD
December 22, 2007, 09:51 AM
If you are willing to pay about 2-3X what a Russian mosin will cost, I would highly recommend a Finnish M39. Wholesale Guns and Ammo will ship an antique one to your door or you can have a non-antique sent to your favorite FFL. You will get an accurate out of the box rifle that you will be able to preview at their website:
http://www.gunsnammo.com/
If money is a factor, you should be able to find a Russian mosin at Big 5, Dunhams, etc or at any gunshow for $100 or less.

AnthonyC.
December 22, 2007, 10:11 AM
I think we might go up to Gander today just to check them out. I think I may let him pick one out, and I may have to pick one out for myself as well! Should be fun. Defidently going to get a recoil pad for him. Not sure if I am going to need one yet but we will see.

Thanks for all the help,

Anthony

Geno
December 22, 2007, 10:30 AM
Dunhams sells the Mosins for $69.00 to $79.00. They laminated stocked Mosins sell for Apprx. $120.00

Doc2005

Clipper
December 22, 2007, 10:36 AM
Drop a 91/30 into an ATI stock, and it will shoot like the 30-06.

dgray64
December 22, 2007, 12:26 PM
Good for him! Get him a shooting jacket (it's winter) with a shooting pad at the shoulder. With good ear plugs, he won't hear it and he won't feel it. They are great shooting guns (mine's an M44 carbine) that are very accurate, sturdy and since they have already lasted forever, they can be trusted to probably outlast him. The investment is low and the fun is forever. Make sure you have a good, secure shooting area as the bullets, like the 30-06 goes through the target, backstop and forever. You need a good berm behind the target area. Merry Christmas!

Dave :neener:

mudslinging79
December 22, 2007, 02:27 PM
i would go with either an m38 or the m44, both are under 100$ on sale at big 5. as for the recoil, i use a limbsaver slip on butt pad. cheaper than the ati stock, and no modifications needed, unlike the "drop in" ati stock.

Clipper
December 22, 2007, 04:31 PM
i would go with either an m38 or the m44, both are under 100$ on sale at big 5. as for the recoil, i use a limbsaver slip on butt pad. cheaper than the ati stock, and no modifications needed, unlike the "drop in" ati stock.

Just a cotton pickin' minute! Get your facts straight... My 91/30 dropped into the ATI without any mods. I could, however, see how the bayonet might have to be removed (a real liability when you've put 5 rounds into that deer and he's still attacking), or the forestock relieved in the case of the M-44 only.

wrench
December 22, 2007, 06:59 PM
Your son has wonderful taste! I do love my mosins. I'd get a nice 91/30 to start with, good balance, nice size. I like them better than the carbines.
For recoil, get one of these:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=367156&t=11082005
You can wear in under your shirt, so no one knows:), and makes it easy to switch from rifle to rifle.
You could also look around for some of that czech training ammo that's been around, big blast, but recoil like a .22
Careful, it's corrosive, though.
Good luck!
And check out this website, where the mosin nuts live....
http://forums.gunboards.com/index.php

highbrow
December 22, 2007, 07:59 PM
Get a PAST recoil shield. Strap it on your son and he will be ready for all guns. They work very well and you don't have to do anything to the rifle.

cridertj
December 22, 2007, 08:32 PM
my son was 10 years old when i got him a m44 and the recoil was nothing for him

TauZero
December 23, 2007, 04:06 AM
Don't forget to get him what he wants. By that i mean does he like the long look of the 91/30 or the permanant bayonet of the shorter M44. Does he like the look of a laminated stock or does he like hardwood? Either rifle is cheap and fun to shoot. So get him the look he wants.

Also don't forget to get the headspace checked. Make sure his gun is safe to shoot.

semper_fidelis
December 23, 2007, 04:08 AM
I am also looking at buying 1. there is a guy in Springfield IL who refinishes them . i have seen them and worked the actions they couldnt be smoother and the bore is bright and shiny. they are m44 and they cost $119.00. o i also suggest a Yugo sks or 59/66 we already have 1 ammos cheap and theyre fun

oregonhunter
December 23, 2007, 05:32 AM
Dime a dozen.

AnthonyC.
December 23, 2007, 11:15 AM
So I happen to ask my son why he wants a mosin, and he said "I saw a picture of a modified Mosin on THR, it had a muzzle brake and a cool stock" so I decided that I would find that picture, we couldent find it. All we found was a really cheezy tactikool one that looked like a bolt action ar-15, my son cracked up when he saw that.

But anyway, I guess what he is saying is that the wants this mosin to give it some modifications. Is it even possible to put a muzzle brake on a mosin?

salty
December 23, 2007, 11:42 AM
I would not recommend you get him a Mosin unless he enjoys shooting a 12 ga. shotgun. The recoil is substantial for a first rifle. Go with a 10 /22 or if he is set on a centerfire I would see if you can get him in the looks of a NEF handi rifle in a modest caliber or a Marlin 30 /30 336. They would both be an inexpensive route for you to get him into shooting.

Clipper
December 23, 2007, 12:01 PM
Salty, obviously you've never shot a M-N if you're going to make comparisons to 12ga shotguns. Anthony, I think I know which one you're talking about, but I don't recall who it belongs to. It has a painted ATI stock and a bipod, right? The lousy stock design and sharp-edged steel buttplate of the original M-N stock is what gets everybody's panties in a knot about recoil. The ATI stock will make it feel like any average 30-06 rifle, trust me...

GRB
December 23, 2007, 12:02 PM
Teach him how to hold to lessen the recoil, and teach him to suck up what he does feel. In my opinion, that will make for the best expereince he will have with these rifles. I taught my son to shoot them (we have 2 model 44s) without recoil pads, without a roll of Charmin on his shoulder, and without a fancy new stock. I figured that way he is better off should he ever have to fire one under less than optimal conditions such as in a life threatening situation.

All the best,
Glenn B

AnthonyC.
December 23, 2007, 01:24 PM
o geez....he showed me the pic........

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=295204&highlight=mosin+nagant+muzzle+brake

its the 13th post.....

I guess if that is what my son wants to do with his rifle.....then......it is his rifle, so....:confused:...

I know that if I end up buying one for myself I will keep it stock.

jesse485
December 23, 2007, 02:00 PM
Hey Anthony, I guess I'm kinda like you in that I don't feel the need to modify my rifle. But if I were to, it would look alot like what your son wants. Maybe it's a youth thing (I'm 22). Not so sure about that AK-74 muzzle brake though, I'd probably pick something a little more discreet.

AnthonyC.
December 23, 2007, 02:07 PM
So that is an AK muzzle brake? Hmmm...never thought about an AK muzzle brake but it does make sense, they are both 7.62....maybe it would be fun to have a modified Mosin and an original.It would probibly be alot more comfortable to shoot than an original. What kind of a stock do you think is on that rifle?

Clipper
December 23, 2007, 02:12 PM
That's the ATI.

jesse485
December 23, 2007, 02:13 PM
Yeah it looks like a 74 brake due to the slots on both sides. I believe the stock is an ATI. I have seen that rifle in a few other posts, it looks interesting. I'm keeping mine stock, though. I have an OLD hex-receiver (I think 1929, but I'm two hours away right now). After a good chamber cleaning with a 12 gauge brush, I'm very happy with the rifle. It's pretty accurate, and very loud an irritating :evil:. With its bayonet, it's a few inches taller than me, but I'm short. They are incredible fun and economical for what they cost, I would recommend them as long as he can withstand the recoil. Oh, and look for a hex receiver as they seem to be in better shape (pre war).

AnthonyC.
December 23, 2007, 02:22 PM
I think I found it,

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Threaded_AK-74_style_AK_Muzzle_Brake.html

kcmarine
December 23, 2007, 02:44 PM
If he wants just the rifle, get him the 91/30.

If a flashlight was also on his list, as well as new shoulder pads for football, get him the M44.

GarandOwner
December 23, 2007, 03:02 PM
I have a mosin nagant 91/30 (7.62x54R) and a 1903A3 (.30-06) in my opinion, the 03A3 kicks noticeably harder......Oh and the Mosin was my first gun. Its also a tack driver.

Range report from earlier this year:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=258433&highlight=mosin+nagant

rob4570
December 23, 2007, 07:15 PM
get a limb saver slip on from wally world for around 25 bucks. dont forget to stock up on milsurp ammo while it is still fairly cheap and available

bartsimpson123844
December 23, 2007, 11:04 PM
I am about your sons age and have had my mosin for over a year now. IMHO, I say let him get used to the recoil. It really isn't that bad. When I first shot it, yeah, it kind of stung, but after awhile, you get used to it. IMO, if you have a gun that you can't handle shooting, then you don't deserve it. :)

spiroxlii
December 24, 2007, 12:57 AM
I have an M44. I love it, but the first time I shot it, it did kick the crap out of my shoulder. My first centerfire rifle was an Australian SMLE (.303 British), and I remember being surprised at the recoil, but the SMLE never actually hurt me. The Mosin-Nagant left a bruise.

It didn't take me long to get used to it, though. Since my first time shooting a Mosin-Nagant, I can count the number of times I've taken my M44s out shooting on one hand, and I've probably only gone through about thirty rounds of 7.62x54R. The recoil is still impressive, but now it's more amusing to me than painful. Plus, having a bolt-action rifle that only holds 5 rounds at a time and kicks the heck out of your shoulder is a great way to keep your ammo costs down!

I love the M44s to death, but like some other folks have mentioned, the M38 could be a better choice. It's basically identical to the M44, but it lacks the side-mounted bayonet. The M44s were sighted in with their bayonets extended. I don't know how much of a difference it really makes, but theoretically, you should shoot with your M44 bayonet extended for maximum accuracy. I've heard it has something to do with the pressure it applies to the barrel, so maybe there's some validity to it. The M38, which was designed with no side-mounted bayonet and no lug to attach a bayonet either, avoids this issue all together.

91/30s, M44s, and M38s are all fairly common, and good specimens of each rifle can be had for well under $100. There are also Finnish Mosin-Nagant rifles out there that may be more accurate, but I've found the quality and accuracy of my former Soviet M44s to be well above my expectations and abilities as a shooter.

aaronrkelly
December 24, 2007, 02:22 AM
My sons only 6, daughter is 2. I just started buying them guns. I figured a few cheap mil-surps will start them a decent collection and in their lifetime may grow in value.

There first purchases were 1895 Nagant revolvers....SOG had a special on them for their 18 days of Christmas flyer. Cost was $60.

Next they are getting M44 Mosins.....probably after the first of they year.

I have a few myself. My trunk gun is a M44 with a recoil pad. I found mine at Brownells. Its a leather lace-on recoil pad. I like it because it doesnt "stand out" from or detract from the classic looks of the rifle. Price was $12ish or so.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w193/aaronsguns/All%20Guns/m442.jpg

chemist308
December 24, 2007, 06:07 AM
Just MHO. I think my Mosin M44 with metal butplate kicks less than my 308 in Ruger M77.

If you enjoyed reading about "My son wants a Mosin!!!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!