Trigger Job For Browning BLR: Impossible?

PDA

fiddleharp
December 22, 2007, 09:54 AM
I found a nice used BLR and quickly discovered there's a lot to like about this rifle. Except the trigger pull. If I must, I can live with it, but I'd really like it lighter.
My local gunsmith says it's impossible to do anything with these triggers. I live in a small town, so I couldn't get a "second opinion" from another gunsmith.
Is it true? Can nothing be done?

If you enjoyed reading about "Trigger Job For Browning BLR: Impossible?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Z71
December 22, 2007, 10:30 AM
I owned a .308 Winchester version of the BLR, still have a BL-22 .22 rifle.

When I bought the .308 BLR I noticed the trigger wasn't the best. As it was a new rifle, used it some to break it in. Still a heavy trigger after some use, lubed it all up with Break Free clp and improved it enough to be useable. Actually the Break Free helped quite a bit, and didn't require any effort or risk. Tried the same "lube job" on the similiar BL-22, and it improved it somewhat too.

I've used the Break Free lube/trigger job on several firearms with heavy or draggy triggers, and it will help things out to some degree. Just lube the trigger and associated goodies up well with the oil, and either dryfire or shoot the gun to work the teflon or whatever additive onto the parts.

Personaly, I wasn't too impressed with the Browning rack and pinion lever system. Does work great, and is pretty cool system. But the trigger seems to suffer from the design.

Try the oil thing. Break Free with it's additives worked well for me on the same gun, same problem.

I would try

fiddleharp
December 23, 2007, 07:58 AM
Hey thanks! If it works, it would be the cheapest and most painless solution possible. I'll try it.

Strongbad
December 23, 2007, 02:00 PM
Aside from a little lube, your gunsmith is right. You might be able to polish the trigger surfaces so that it works smoother, but the imrpovement will be negligible if there is any.

If you enjoyed reading about "Trigger Job For Browning BLR: Impossible?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!